BB&T Reviews

BBT is OK, I guess

I joined BB&T a few years ago, and I've found them to be helpful, mostly, when it comes to my financial services needs. They are particularly innovative in the mobile banking department, and have apps for both iPhone and Android devices. This has allowed me to constantly stay on top of my account balance, as well as to transfer money between my accounts as needed. They have many branches and ATMs in the North Carolina area, as well as many other states, as well.

The Worst Bank I Have Ever Had The Misfortune Of Dealing With.

Had a checking account w/them for over a year.  Everything was ok.  I then made the mistake of opening up a savings account online and that is where the trouble all began.

When I opened up the savings account, I called a csr and asked them if there would be an overdraft fee if BB&T had to take money out of my savings to cover a withdrawal or charge to my checking account.  I was told there would be no overdraft fee.   Unfortunately for me, I used the wrong terminology because there was a "transfer fee" of $12 per bank transfer if the bank made the transfer.  Talk about usury.  The worst part about this was I didn't realize it  before they charged me for at least 5 $12 "transfer fees"  due to the fact that this transfer fee was called a "miscellaneous debit" on my bank statement instead of what it should be called, which was BB&T Transfer Fee.  How shady is that...  talk about trying to hide fees.  I called the 800 number on the back of my debit card several times to try and get some of these $12 fees reversed.  BB&T refused to reverse the fees because they are considered VALID  fees.

About a week later, I check my statement online again to find that there are 4 $2.00 24-hour phone fees.  I had no idea what this was so, I called the 800 number that the bank provides on the back of my debit card in order to find out what these $2 fees were.  Turns out they are more BB&T fees.  BB&T charges their customers $2.00 everytime you call their 800 number.  Kind of defeats the purpose of having an 800 number...doesn't it?  I ask them to reverse these fees, and I am told I need to call the branch about getting the fees reversed.  I state that that doesn't make sense since the fees are charged by them at the  800 number.  To make a long story short, I call the branch and am told that I need to call the 800 number to get the fees reversed, which would mean I will get another $2.00 fee charged to my account.  What kind of BS is that??  i have never banked w/a bank that wouldn't reverse some of their fees.  Espicilly since I never have anything less than $2,000 on deposit at any time.  I had never bounced a check or had any overdrafts prior to incurring these outrageous hidden fees.

STAY AWAY FROM BB&T.  THEY ARE ARROGANT AND DISHONEST.   As a matter of fact, I think that I will call an attorney about the $2 fee for the use of the 800 number.  That to me has fraud written all over it.

TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE-DON't BANK WITH THEM!

I recently opened an account with BB&T in North Carolina. Being from out of state I wanted a bank that was close to my new location here and had good customer service. I was told that by opening an account I would recieve $50 within 60- 90 days. After over 90 days of waiting they still had not deposited the money and would not give me a reason as to why. I let it go figuring it wasn't that important and I went ahead and continued to bank with them even with the poor customer service I was receiving I figured maybe they would improve and I gave them the benefit of the doubt. This past week I deposited a several hundred dollar check into my account that I planned on using for Christmas gifts and the teller asked me if I had reported my card lost or stolen. I replied that I had not and she said someone in the bank had made it so that my card was no longer good to use. She told me not to worry and that my deposit would reopen the card for use. Problem is, two days later (it was a saturday late afternoon), I went to make a large purchase with my card and it would not work. I called customer service and they told me that someone at the bank had hot blocked my card and my money would not be accessible until I went into the branch on monday and that it was MY FAULT that I hadn't gone into the bank on saturday morning when I have a job that I had to be at and it was not my fault that they blocked my card in the first place. I was very upset and without any money since all of my money was in that account and so I was left stranded for the rest of the weekend. When I went to resolve the issue at the bank the girl would not give me a reason as to why my card was blocked and continued to try and push a new debit card on me when all I wanted was an explanation. I decided to take my money and close my account and she never once tried to convince me to stay as a customer or showed me any sort of customer service. She nearly through the envelope of money at me and when I stated that I was appalled at the level of disrespect I received and that not one person offered an apology she went on a rate about how it was no ones fault and I should not point fingers and blame anyone and when I came in blaming them, for something that they did, they would not offer me an apology. I am so happy I never have to deal with this awful bank ever again.

Wish I Had Read Some Reviews Before Banking With Such An Unethical Institution

This bank will fee you to death! They have fees for everything.

When my husband was out of work, my income was our sole support. It was very tight. BB&T charges overdraft fees on debits before they are posted! I had automatic payments set up for a couple of accounts (utilities, rent, etc.). I was paid on a Friday (via direct deposit) and the debits hit the following Monday, yet I was charged overdraft fees. When I questioned them, they said that the debits were "pending" on Friday (the day I got paid, right?). I racked up more than $100 in overdraft fees because of this nonsense. And to a family struggling on a one person income, every dollar counts.

I also get charged $2.50 for every time I use an ATM machine that is not BB&T. This is above the ATM machine's fee, meaning that I get raped for $5 - $6 per ATM transaction if I don't drive around and find a BB&T machine (I travel and I can tell you, BB&T machines are NOT located in every city! They get free money because they don't pur an ATM where I am - how fair is that?)

Another time I had adequate money to cover my debits. I was very careful to figure just how much to pay on each bill and still have $60 left in the account. However, when the debits went through, they charged overdraft fees on several debits (they were basically POS debits, so they all went through at the same time). When they charged the overdraft on the first ones, it made the others not go through, causing a destructive domino effect of built up overdraft fees. When I confronted the CSR, she said that I had not had enough to cover my debits. I showed her a screenshot of my balance and an ATM receipt I had as well as the totals of my bills paid.

It clearly showed $60 left over. She said my calculations were wrong. I asked her to add it all up. She did and it came up $60 left over. She said that the system is never wrong so there must be something wrong with the calculations. Long story short, I ate a couple hundred dollars because "the system is never wrong" but the CSR herself added the totals and saw for herself that I should have had money left over. (No, there were no pending deposits. The money had been posted in the account for several days)

While these horrendous are bad enough, their unethical antics today put me over the edge.

Four or five days ago I set the overdraft review preference to opt out meaning that if a charge went through my account the bank would return it (no overdraft fee). I went through all the confirmations and thought all was well.

Today I receive a notice that my account is overdrawn! I went to my account to check and the settings had "miraculously" changed to opt me back in! I am on a very tight budget because of our situation and playing with my money like this is not acceptable!

This is by far the worst bank I have ever been with. They make up reasons to charge fees and it appears that when you fix it so they can't charge the fees they undo the settings so they can!

This is a highly unethical bank. Steer clear.

BB&T Is Clearly The Worst Bank In The US

Horrible customer service, fees for everything, you don't want to do business with these people.

Unfortunately, they purchased BankAtlantic in Florida, a bank that opened 7 days a week and didn't charge fees for anything. Immediately they started sending menacing letters to the BankAtlantic customers charging for everything. Impossible to use the online banking service always locked. Their customer service people doesn't want to work or pay any attention to what you say to them. Take your money to some other place.

They Make BANK A Four Letter Word

They are very professional with a kind voice and a smile while they rape your account. I am convinced that they would speak kindly and smile while they watched me and my family starve to death. Stay away from this place.

Do Not Bank With BB&T

I have spent a month just trying to get back 54.63, which is my money. They say that what happened to my account has never happen before and operations does not have anything in place to solve the situation...there should be a system in place for all transactions,reversals, refunds ...etc...  Have explained situation to 4 persons by phone, 2 account representatives and a branch manager still no results...so ridiculous!!!!!! Please DO not bank with them unless you want money to disapear before your eyes and then they can't find out where it is...they rejected my deposited and can't seem to find it in there records  what a joke....

STAY AWAY!!!! REMOVE YOUR MONEY FAST BEFORE THEY DO!!!!!

havent banked with them for a full year yet, and im shutting down my account tomorrow as soon as they open.

IF you opt out of over drawing,   "suppose to decline you so you dont over draft"   WRONG!!!!!   some how ive over drafted my account by $130.......... weird right?

i was told that is just how they do it........ WTF!!!!      Now im expecting $210 IN OVER DRAFT FEE'S!!!!

These people are the squirrlest you will deal with.   and are looking to suck your money out of your account faster than a 16 year old girl with a debit card!!!!!

Not to mention the terrible cutomer serivce,     Horrible manners,      And lack of respect for customers  that the tellers, and other people the the bank show you!!!

i wouldnt recommend them to my worst enemy!!!!!

Fees Charged For Bank Statements

I was very disappointed when I called BB&T to ask for bank statements for the past five years on my 94 yr old mother's checking account. (My name is also listed on the account)

She has her social security check automatically deposited each month in this account. The last few years she  has become increasingly forgetful and blind ,so I have had to take over paying her bills.

I could not find bank statments for 13 months during this period because she must have throwm them out.

The woman at her local BB&T branch told me there would be a $7 per month charge for these statements over 24 months old.

When i called Bank of America to ask for 5 years of statements on her small pension, there was not problem and no fees involved.

WORST BANK EVER!!!! CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVES ARE VERY RUDE AND DO NOT CARE!!!

BANKING WITH BUT WAS THE WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!!! From day 1... The worst customer service....I have never had the need to post a review, But felt the need to warn future customers not to Bank with BB&T

STAY AWAY FROM BBT

I left bbt a few years ago and I closed the joint account out with not pending tranaction and out of the blue we get a letter stating that we have overdrafted by 93.00 and we went to the bank to find out what happen and all we got was you over drafted on the account and they we want the money and we told how is that because the day the so call transaction happen the account closed a week before and we shreaded the checks and cut up both cards and they are claiming that we own them money.

we would never got back to BBT ever again stay far away from this comapny they are out to get you for your money

My Hometown Bank

I have been banking at Branch Banking and Trust for a number of years. I had tried many banks before and now I feel am home. Every time I go into the bank or do any business at the drive through, the tellers there are always friendly, polite and really care about you as a person, not just another customer.
I have had dealings with the manager, assistant manager and other personal in the bank and they treat me just like family. I had an issue with my account several years back and they were so kind about the whole thing, never once did I feel like I had done something wrong.
I know now why BB&T is referred to as The Hometown Bank.

It is great

The BB&T bank is one of the best banking online websites I have seen yet. It has a great customer service line, and great privacy and security against fraud. I would absolutely recommend this bank to my friends and family, and any other person who asked about my opinion about a bank. I truly love the BB&T bank.

The Worst Banking Experience I've Ever Had

I was applying for mortgage with BB&T. I chose them because of their CHIP program. I could not believe how negligent, incompetent and unresponsive their loan officers and processors are. In the end, this negligence cost me a great deal on the house, appraisal fee, inspection fee, two months of wasted time, hard inquiry on my credit and lots of stress. Perhaps not all BB&T loan officers are the same, but go there at your own risk. I would never recommend BB&T to a friend.

Awful Banking Experience

College student here. BBT customer for 3 months.

BBT does nothing to help you out. Fines left and right. Don't have enough funds in checking, but have enough in savings? That's cool, but let's charge exorbitantly high fines to transfer money from one to the other. Don't have enough funds in savings, but have enough in checking? That's cool too, but we don't transfer from savings to checking, so we'll have to charge you an overdraft fee.

Want to call BBT support for account help? Nah, there'll be a one and a half hour wait while Brenda has lunch at 4pm.

Think online support will help? Let's beat around the bush for 2 weeks and not ever really answer the original question.

Seriously BBT? Get your shit together. I'm done with you.

B.B. & T. Ads In Full Spanish On The Internet.

I couldn't beleive it. Here in the USA using a foreign language in an ad is similar to treason. It's bad enough when American place a call and we have tp chose between 1 and 2 but to be forced to watch an ad in a foreign language sucks. Don't have a TV so I don't know if they also advertise in that medium but they do online and frankly I wouldn't have have anything to do with a bank that ignores its own countries citizens.

Take A Second Look Before Opening An Account....

I'll make this short and sweet. I don't have perfect credit, when I was younger I made a few mistakes, most of which I have resolved, I still have a few things in Chexsystems. So, I was looking into getting a pre-paid visa card or some type of pre-pay or second chance account. Someone told me about the BB&T pre-pay debit card. I thought to myself, BB&T is a reputable company and this might work just fine. So I applied, I was denied, ok, so how is it pre-pay when they do a credit check or other checks? Most pre-pay accounts I know of do not do credit check, hence the PRE-PAY part of it. So I called to question the decision, I was told by a representative they do do a credit check of some sort. My advice you everyone out there and why I am writing this review is, take a second look at this bank if you are in the same boat as I, I went to a local credit union, they opened me a regular checking account with no problem, been with them for months now, not issues. I am much older and more mature and it is sad to see bank like BB&T punish you for past mistakes, I though that was the point of the pre-pay account, if they are going to deny people for prepay accounts, why bother, just check them for a regular account. I would recommend checking into a credit union or other financial institution. I believe in being up front and honest with people, if you are going to do credit or chexsystems checks, that is fine, just be up from with people, if it isn't going to be a true PREPAY account, let people know....don't pretend to offer a service that is not true to its name.

Zero Phone Service

Following an annoying new trend, BB&T makes it impossible to talk to a person on the phone. They offered no options to deal with the problem I have, so I resorted to sending an e-mail. They said they would get back to me in a few days, which will be too late anyway. If you care about receiving quick answers about your account, BB&T is not your account.

All About Money

The people are great and friendly but the bank is a terrible bank.
I was a customer with Coastal Federal when BBT bought it out.�Initially BBT said that I could order new checks 24/7 at no cost to me. Wrong on all accounts. All of it a lie.��

A local branch manager told me that my account was not the right account and I was moved into the right FREE account. Another lie! ��

Six months later I found that they had been charging me $5 a month for the "free" account. They refused to refund the $30 I had paid for my free account.

Again, I felt I'd had enough so, told them to close the account. Then they changed their mind and refunded the money, so I stayed.

��My son entered College. He needed gas so I wrote him a $20 check on my BBT account. BBT charged him $8 to cash it.

BBT took almost half of my son's gas money. ALMOST HALF, from a struggling college student!!��

I complained about it and they told me they were providing my son a service by cashing a check drawn on their own bank. Their own check, because he didn't have an account.

I said, "of course he doesn't have an account he has no job, no income. He's a college student and he lives with me" Made no difference to BBT! They NEEDED my son's money more than he did.

��I looked into closing the account again but it very complicated to change banks.�� I have a lot of direct deposits and payments.

My home and my RV are financed with BBT. They offered a Visa with no interest for 12 months on anything I purchase, so I applied.

My Visa was DECLINED because my son had 2 (two) LATE payments on a car loan that I co-signed for him almost two years ago! TWO LATE PAYMENTS! TWO!��!!

This, after me being a customer for nearly 20 years and paying every payment on my house, RV and equity account (for over eight (8) years) exceeding $2,000.00 a month, on time, every time. I was never late and I never missed a pay. I'm done, My account will be closed!

BB&T Customer Service

Today I called my local BB&T branch in High Point, NC located on Premier Drive. I spoke with the manager about a check that I deposited into my personal checking account. It was a refund check from a local chiropractor in Greensboro. The doctor's check was issued from a well know local bank in the amount of $1559.40. That may not seem like a large sum of money for some people but for me it was a huge amount of money that I needed for past due bills, doctor visits, medicine, food for my child, etc. The check was posted to my account 8-19-2003. Today is 8-27-2013 and BB&T is still holding this check. The lack of funds has caused our family much stress, unable to get all of the meds we need, unable to pay our phone bill, our power bill, etc. This hold has also caused several overdraft charges in the amount of $36.00 each. The bank manager assured me that he would look into it and call me back. He never called me back and our account balance is still in the red. I think it is very poor customer service for a bank manager to not even have the courtesy or professionalism to call me back. It is ridiculous to me that BB&T feels the need to hold a LOCAL check for that long. When I went online to balance my account it clearly stated the funds would be available today 8-27-2013. BB&T customer service is terrible in my opinion and I would not recommend this bank to anyone. Clearly they are using their customers funds as long as possible for their own benefit.

No Access To My Account??!!!

So last night my family and I where out late running around visiting family and such, so we decided to call in a pizza order and pick it up on the way home.  My husband runs in the store to pick up the pizza's and pay, comes back out telling me his card isn't being accepted, I'm like OK, try my card.  He comes back out and says my card isn't working either.  At this point I'm blaming the guy behind the register, because we had used both cards while running errands early in the day.  So we leave and go to the ATM, enter our card, and recieve a message that tells us our account is unknown....WHAT???  Are you seriously kidding me??? So I call the customer service number on the back of the card, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, nooooo answer.  THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR A BANK OF THIS SIZE HAVING ANY ISSUES WITH THEIR SYSTEM. Tried to call them today and as usual, waited for 12 minutes and no one picked up the line, I am a busy woman and my time is priceless, I shouldn't have to wait longer than 5 minutes for a service that I pay for.  So Monday morning I will be closing my accounts which I have had for YEARS.  I can't trust this bank with my money, so it kind of takes away the Trust part of their name, that's a big deal.

Paypal Returned Item Fee Phone Call Fees To Talk To Reps Unneccessarily Long Holds On Checks If You Ever Go Negative

This bank was like a beacon in the light at first where other banks would not take me they did.  I have either feast or famine and sometimes i go a couple weeks every few months waiting on checks owed.  Boy once you hit the red they charge you for every little thing.  I CANT WAIT TO CLOSE MY ACCOUNT after all my direct deposits have gone through.  God they suck.  PHONE CALLS ONLY ALLOWED ONCE A MONTH. WatcH those PAYPAL RETURNS CAUSE EVEN IF ITS RETURNED IMMEDIATELY THEYLL HIT YOU Up.  Such a shitty bank.  All Marble banks built on the backs of the have nots. DO NOT BANK IF YOU DO ETRANSACTIONS

No Problems For 25+ Yrs.

Opened my accounts right after marriage, and have had NO issues whatsoever.

I live in the Fletcher, NC area so maybe we just have better bank employee's ...

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

Bank Fee's

I cashed a check from a BB&T customer at a BB&T bank and they charged me an $8.00 fee. Attention BB&T customers I will not accept BB&T check in the future unless you include this fee into the total amount.

Winchester VA

BB&T Mortgage And Insurance Interests- BEWARE!

Our mortgage was sold by our bank to BB&T, who sold it to Bank of America, but we still have to deal with and pay through BB&T. We live in a FEMA declared flood zone and carry flood insurance, as required, to cover the amount of our mortgage.

BB&T informed me several weeks before our flood insurance came up for removal that per THEIR policy, we have to carry flood insurance equal to the hazard insurance on our house. We have our home insured for replacement value, which is over $100K more than we owe on it. There is absolutely NO FEDERAL MANDATE or law that requires this and BB&T makes no extra money from requiring it- except possibly through their insurance business partners?

BB&T is invested in the insurance industry- one crack at Google tells anyone that.

Flood insurance is issued by the government- FEMA- and takes 30 days to get approval. I called and raised the policy to meet this requirement- until I can refinance and deal with a company I feel has more integrity- but it will take 30 days to get the increase approved.

Meanwhile, I receive a notice from BB&T that they have taken out coverage on my property to make up for my shortfall- a coverage period of 45 days at the "annual rate" (this doesn't make sense, but that's what is says) at the tune of $759.00, for $83,400, which must be their perceived difference between my flood insurance and hazard insurance. It's incorrect, but maybe they couldn't conjure up the 'right' amount of difference.

I tried to get on the website with the password they offer through their mailing to see if by chance there is a mistake, but it does not let me in. It's too late to call anyone, but I've already talked to them once- before I got the ridiculous binder amount- simply to be informed it's "their policy."

I have no other dealings with this institution, and will never wish to. Odd as it is, "legal" and "unethical" and "dishonest" can be used in one sentence. I'm sure this is technically "legal." Completely illogical, so it must be assumed BB&T is benefiting somehow from their "policy," and the only "logical" conclusion is their investment in the insurance industry.

Terrible Banking Services - You Will Lose Money Banking With Them!

Horrible and incompetent service. They screwed up my long terms investments, and I lost a 300 point run up with the stock market! Incompetent workers, operators, tellers that give you consistently incorrect information.