M&T Bank Reviews

Had The Misfortune Of Having These Idiots Buy My Mortgage

After having my mortgage for a year without one single problem with my old mortgage servicer, I have had several in a couple months with M&T.  They called to greet me as a new customer to ask if I had any questions, but when I asked them if I could pay biweekly they had no idea.  And they didn't refer me to anyone to find out.  Why the heck did they even call, then?  What a waste of time!

Next, they now need all these new documents that my old bank didn't need.  The heck with them, I am not sending them anything.

Finally, if you pay at the end of the month but the payment takes a couple days to get to them to be processed, they call you at your work and treat you like a deadbeat.  They called me on the 6th of the month, even though the grace period for paying is until the 15th.  Not sure what the point of that is, they acted like I was about to get foreclosed on or something, they should spend thier time on people months behind, not a couple days.  Just for that, I will pay on the 15th online from now on just to piss them off!

How can something so simple get screwed up so bad?  All they need to do is accept my mortgage payments and leave me alone.  No calls, no document requests, no berating me.  I hope another bank buys them and lays off all thier idiot employees.

False Advertising; Liars; Cheats

We've had an account here for only 3 months. They said we got rewards for using our debit/credit card and that we had to do all transactions as credits and sign or we would be charged for pin/debit purchases. I wasn't crazy about only using the charge side of the card, but both of our last banks didn't have rewards and I thought that was great that they had it and it was a good trade off. BOY WERE WE DECEIVED!!! In 3 months, over $10,000 has come through our checking account without being eligible for reward points. Apparently, they don't sign you up when you join (quite a benefit, huh?), and even though they advertise it as a benefit, they don't give it to you and even though it is THEIR error, they will not give me "points" for all the eligible purchases I've made and should have gotten points for. AND, I don't have to put my John Hancock out there for every Tom, Dick and Harry to see. I am not charged for pin/debit charges (I found out today). Apparently, I was lied to. I won't be eligible for any reward points if I use the debit/pin, but I'm not getting them anyway, so who cares? And though ALL ATM transactions are free; and although all pin/debit transactions are processed like ATM withdraws; (the following quote is from a MandT customer service rep)" pin/debits transactions at say, Walmart, are for SPECIFIC amounts unlike ATM withdraws". Apparently, you will be charged, depending on the type of account you have. I think the person setting up your account aught to know what types of accounts the bank offers and the specifics of each. I think we would have done better to get and read a pamphlet first. I guess, $20, $40 and $100 are not specific amounts (typical ATM withdrawl option examples). A long-time friend that worked for them had recommended them. She left FT employment to care for elderly parents and I don't have the heart to tell her that her beloved bank is a CROOK!!! If you want cheated, lied to and a company that WON'T FIX THEIR OWN MISTAKES, then this bank is for you. In the words of Mand T and all the other crappy and/or rip-off companies' customer service reps, "Have a nice day."

Mortgage Transferred - NIGHTMARE

My mortgage, which is in good standing with no late payments and I have had for over 10 years was transferred to M&T Bank in December 2011.

I had some difficulty setting up my online account and had to call customer service which I waited over 20 minutes for.

M&T Bank calls me starting on the 3rd day of each month stating this call is an attempt to collect a debt and if I don't answer my phone the first time they call...they call again and again and again. One day they called 7 times within one hour!! My payment isn't even late!!!!

This bank and their policies are ridiculous and their customer service is terrible. When I ask why they call so much, they say they have the right to start calling on the 3rd of each month and will not stop calling until the payment is made.  That is harrasment in my book considering my payments are paid within my grace period and I have never had a payment that has been over 30 days late!

I never experienced anything like this with any other bank, I hold two mortgages on two different real estate properties and have a good credit rating and I am tired of being treated like I don't pay my bills!

Something needs to be done about this bank and their "policies", they have good customers who deserve to be treated with respect.

Charging Fees For Using My Money

I've had an M&T account since I was in high school (31 years) and am currently unemployed.  My unemployment ran out (amazing how hard it is to find a job as a laid off 48 year old corporate trainer) and I have to live on what little is left in my bank account.  I sometimes transfer money from my saving to checking account to cover charges; I just got a letter saying that FDIC regulations permit this to happen 6 times a month, but M&T charges $10 each after 4.  News to me, so I called customer service and ended up talking to Jennifer, whose title was (believe it or not) "Relationship Banker!"  She succeeded in single handedly turning me off from M&T.  Her "relationship" skills involved telling me "it's policy."

Having been a corporate business trainer for over 15 years, I know how business works.  She didn't.  I've probably had my bank account longer than she's been alive.  She was rude, unemotional, and unhelpful.  I was, BTW, very cordial at first, then firm without being mean later on (and I have a witness to this!)  I know you don't get good service by being an ass.  I kept my cool and eventually got her to reverse the charges, but I will start looking into credit unions tomorrow and finally end my long-term relationship with M&T as soon as humanly possible.

Why can't I give zero stars???

Don't Bother...They Can't Even Open An Account Online Right!

I opened my account online about 2 months ago and I am seriously regretting it. They sent me a checkcard right away, but didn't send any temporary checks or even the freaking account number.  The idiot customer service reps couldn't even give it to you over the phone and told me that I would have to physically go into a branch to get the account number. So I go into the branch, get the account number, and then call customer service to attempt to set up online banking.  Call customer service and they tell me that the account number isn't in the system. So I go back to the branch and ask them what's up? They then tell me I have to make a $25.00 deposit in order for the account to become active. WHY DO YOU THINK I NEEDED THE ACCOUNT NUMBER IDIOTS? So I deposit $25.00 cash to make the account "active" so I can now call customer service.

Mind you, I never received my account number or disclosures in the mail.  Not once. About a month or two later I make 4 ATM withdrawals for the first time.  Not only do you have to pay the ATM Withdrawal fee, but M&T charges you an addition $2.00 for each withdrawal so instead of a withdrawal just costing the ATM Fee at the ATM its that plus $2.00 from the bank bringing your withdrawal fee to $4.00+ on every transaction.  I rarely go to the ATM and realized I didn't take out enough the first go around and had to go back a few times which is something I never do.I call customer service, same rude reps that say it can't be refunded, won't be refunded, and the ATM fee was in the disclosures...the disclosures I never received because they never sent them to me! Basically 4 withdrawals at the ATM cost me about $20 in ATM fees.

Run!! If you DON'T plan on using the ATM, wanting an account number, or even professional customer service representatives, then this is the bank for you.  All this is not worth getting so called "free checking" account. I primarily do my major banking with credit unions and decided to open this account because it was close to my office for small deposits I don't feel like going to the credit union for.  This bank is the WORST!

Customer Service

I have 3 accounts with M&T for 11 years and will close them all.

Customer service is terrible!  My average wait time for a simple transaction is 14 minutes and they couldn’t care less.  They are not at all helpful! Not friendly!  Not apologetic!

The branches are ugly!

The cut off time is 2 30 while all other banks in my area cut off at 5 or later

The hours are not accommodating

Transactions take forever to clear

Drive thru is a hassle till a teller comes

To summarize I checked out many other banks and there is no reason to bank with them there is nothing they provide that others don’t and there is lots that other banks provide and M&T does not.  I spook to the branch manager and regional manager many times but got no where !

Safe Deposit Box Policy

Do not open a safe deposit box at any M&T Bank.

If you do or already have one, make sure that you never close out a safe deposit box before your paid up year / annual fee is up.  While most other banks will prorate a refund for the portion of the year that remains.  M & T Bank does NO refund.  I had a safe deposit box with them for many years.  The $125 annual box fee was paid in full in January.  The box was closed out in mid-March --- approximately $90 they keep.  The "theft" of this is that they can still rent the box during the time that remains of my $90 and make an additional $90.  The "customer service" staff just kept repeating the "company line."  This is true double dipping.

-- consumer rip-off at its best.

There should be a NO star rating available. That is what M&T would receive.

Customer Service

Ever since M&T took over Wilmington Trust, It has been a big hassle. I called about a $400+ fee that had showed up in my account, and after being redirected  three times, was told it was happening to everyone that day!? Got a promise of a call back.....never got one, but at least the fees were taken off. Also, had about $2600 worth of checks returned with no explanation, with available funds over the returned amount....had to call 6 times to get a response.... said they would call back...they never did. Just got charged $175- in fees for this...one month later....called customer service, gave me a boss at my branch in Newark, DE....he was mad they gave me his direct line! Had an assistant call me 7 hours later...said he didn't have time to look into it till after the weekend. My guess is he won't.

Running a business is hard now, and having to check your account daily for bank errors is getting to be a hassle, especially when you know they don't care. I really miss the stellar service of Wilmington Trust. They were such an asset to my business...M&T is a bad liability.

THE WORST MORTGAGE SERVICER

My mortgage was transferred to M&T in December. Quick note--If your loan has been transferred everyone knows there is a grace preiod because your new mortgage servicer has to create a new file ,get all the loan information, and update the borrower. Before I even received payment coupon, I received me a letter that my loan was past due and my home was at risk of foreclosure---it wasn't even the 1st of the month!!!! I emailed (and never received a reply) and called to clarify the information. After waiting over 20 minutes to get a representative on the line, I was told they didn't have all my information but it was probably a mistake. She then told me that M&T doesn't send out a a payment coupon. SOOOO RIDICULOUS. So I hung up and called back, again after a 20 minute wait I spoke with someone else who was able to tell me where to send my payment to and  assured that my loan was in good standing.

M&T must have nothing better to do with their time because they call me every 3rd of the month (YES you read correctly-- 3rd day of the month) asking for my payment. Its  annoying, I have had my mortgage since 2007, I have excellent credit, I have not been late once and they keep calling me.

I am currently speaking with another lender to refinance and can only hope i do not ever get transferred back to M&T.

If you have a loan or are currently banking with M&T...grab your money and run!

Take Your Money Out Of M&T Bank

This is a company that should not be allowed to deal with money at all. After working there for 11.5 years , not something I am proud of, I have seen that so called bank mistreat both customers and employees alike. If you do not have thousands of dollars in your account you are treated like trash by management and the Customer service phone line. Around 7-8 years ago they came out with a Totally Free Checking account, however if you opened one of these accounts you were treated as a nothing. You were not allowed to apply for a Line of Credit like all of the other accounts were allowed to have.  This lasted for about 3-4 years until a customer went to the Attorney General who contacted M&T and said that that was discrimination. So before they were sued by that customer they changed their policy real fast. This is just 1 example of many. Now lets just touch on one of the many fees that they have. If you have your Savings account linked to your checking and they have to draw up money for a check that came in against your account they will charge you 10.00.  Yes even if they have to draw up.25 cents they will charge you 10.00. Now that is your own money but they feel they are entitled to your money because the computer had to move .25 cents to your checking account.  A few years ago when  the Congress passed the new Reforms saying that a bank cannot allow a customers account be overdrawn with a bakcard purchase we were all given list of people we were to call and tell them how fooloish they would look if there card was declined. This was M&T's way around the reform because we had to convince them to say that was alright to do because they did not want to look foolish. This was just another way to get more fees wheather it was a 37.00 NSF fee or a 10.00 for moving money from your savings account or dipping into your Line of Credit which you are charged a 10.00 fee plus intrest. Again this is just 1 of the many hidden fees.  So I am going to say TAKE YOUR MONEY OUT OF M&T otherwise just remember that you are giving your money to a company that has no morals or feelings for its customers.

Liars!!! Run, Don't Walk To Another Bank!

I opened my first account with M&T bank with several small checks ranging from 100-300 dollars each. Prior to signing up for the account, the bank manager told me the money would be available for my use the following business day. LIE #1. I was very clear about needing my funds the next business day before signing up. I was assured that was no problem. When I tried to access my money the next day, I was told that I "misunderstood" the branch manager who opened my account the previous day. My money will be held for five business days. Now it's clear to me that I was lied to just so I would open the account.

NIGHTMARE #2: I opened the account over 2 weeks ago and I still haven't gotten my ATM card in the mail. I was promised by the branch manager that it wouldn't take more than 5 days!!! The customer service robots don't know where it is. For all I know, it could be stolen or.....

Next issue. I deposited $300 in local checks into my account 2 days ago. Prior to handing the checks to the teller, I asked, "Will this money be available tomorrow?" She said, "Yes." Once again, I found out the next day that all new account holders must wait 4 DAYS for their checks to clear. Lied to once again. Is this bank from the stone age or what? Do they not realize that all of their competing banks have next day funds availability?

Finally, today I went to the drive through to withdraw money. I filled out all of the appropriate paper work, gave my ID. The teller told me I had to come into the bank!!!!

Are these people trying to drive all of their customers away? I'm going in on Monday and closing out this account. This has been the worst bank I have ever dealt with in my 50 years on this earth.

Customer Service

I had my original home loan transferred to M&T and I regret to say their customer service is terrible. Since then I have refinanced through their loan department (because no one else could do a HARP), and have gotten the same rather "who cares" attitude that I got before from everyone I have ever been in contact with. The loan processor, when asked questions about my new interest rate and required documents just said check your email, I don't have time to talk with you. When questioned about my escrow account being screwed up on my new loan, I got a condescending attitude and "keep paying until your tax statement comes in and we will give you a refund". I already have the tax statement in hand, but apparently that's not good enough. They would rather I keep paying too much each month instead of fixing it now. When asked how to update my online info to pay my new loan, more rude remarks and condescending answers. And finally, the worst. Every month, on the third day they called me to ask why my payment was not received and when it could be expected. In the grace period, mind. I have never failed to make a payment. Have been in good standing with my previous bank, etc. These people are RUDE. They act like some old school established bank that has no reason to provide decent customer service since they are doing you a favor by loaning you money. I don't think I have ever dealt with people who so completely disregard their customers on every level. Why even have "customer service" agents. Quit lying to your customers and just call them "jerks" instead. Oh, and guess what, just for calling me on the 3rd every month, they get their payment on the 15th.

THE WORST!!

M & T IS THE WORST BANK EVER!!! THEY WANT TO RAISE THE GREEN FLAG, I WANT TO RAISE MY MIDDLE FINGER TO THIS BANK. THEY ARE REALLY AND TRUELY THE WORST!!! EVERY CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT HAS A DIFFERENT ANSWER, NO ONE KNOWS WHATS GOING ON, THEY ARE MARTIANS!!1

Terrible Experience Of Former WT Direct Customer

My account was transferred from Wilmington Trust Direct to M&T, and that was a disaster. The process to get access to my account again took more than an hour on the phone, with very unfriendly CSRs. A few months later my account DISAPPEARED! I could log in online, but the account was nowhere to be found. After I called them, they told me that the account was deemed dormant, with claimed 'years' of not being used, although it was only a few months of non-usage and even fewer months since the account was tranferred. First they told me to visit a branch to resolve it, but searching for the closest branch to Miami, FL turned out nothing, and I could not find branches without entering any zip code (and have no idea which zip code I should search for). The headquarters seem to be in Buffalo, NY, which would mean that I have to travel 1200 miles to redeem $40! :-D During my last call they promised to send me a form to perform that task, so now waiting for that and see how the adventure continues.

I do not understand how a bank, even local one, can stay in business with such archaic procedures in place and such unfriendly and rude personnel. Maybe it is seized account money that people do not bother redeeming which keeps them afloat...

M And T Has Terrible Customer Service

I entered the bank on January 30 2013 to cash a check; I have 2 business accounts and a personal account with M and T Bank. I signed the check and put a thumb print while waiting for the Teller.

When she came she was looking up the account and had to receive approval because of the amount of the check". This was a new account but I am not a new Customer. The other Teller comes and starts asking who the owner of the company is, where else did I try to cash the check, and treating me as if I was a thug that just came off the streets:. My check had cleared and been validated, the Teller proceeds to help other people without letting me know anything when I asked what is going on she tells me that they are working on it and she doesn't know what they are doing".

So I asked to speak to a Manager and she says the Manager is in the back working on something. After I insisted on a Manager and raised my voice then someone came from the back and guided me to the Manager, as I arrived in the Managers office she is calling the bank I opened the account with inquiring on my intentions.

I was never asked any questions; they were treating me as if I had bad intentions, without explaining or asking any clarifying questions! They didn't even research to see if I had any other accounts/.The customer service at this location is very unprofessional and the Tellers are very unhelpful, if you can go to another location or better yet go to another bank.

A Headache Every Time

When my mortgage was bought by M&T bank I was happy at first as M&T is a smaller bank and should be personable, right? No way!

Every month I get a letter and frequent calls stating that they have not received my payment. Payments are made through direct transfer and the originating bank says that payments are delivered on time but M&T does not process them until after the due date. So they get an extra $50 late fee from me every month.

In short, M&T sucks.

Over Charging Small Business And High Interest Rates

M & T Bank raised my rate to 15.98 percent after taking 600 million in TAFT Money and bailing them out to also purchase Provident bank in Maryland who also took 50 Millikon at the same time.

The small business cash flow line of credit  is extremly unfair and loan sharking and the Government needs to Investiaget the business pratices and Look at the loan they gave m & T at the same time they are able to purchase a bank,

How Can You Give A 0 Star Rating?

Hands down the worst bank I have ever dealt with. Their customer service reps tell you to deal with everything online. The online banker always says to call a customer service rep. The branch managers do the minimum to help you and neglect to do everything they should do......and FAIL to notify corporate office of name address changes. They will cancel your cards without notification and they will run you around in circles when you try to get your own money. IF YOU WANT A GOOD BANK THAT BENDS OVER BACKWARDS TO HELP YOU GO TO PNC!!!!!!

Warning About M&T Bank

The only thing you need to know about  M and T Bank is not to use them .  When we used them they altered the commitment letter and falsely represented it to us . Grossly over assessed our home putting us under water and then tried to back it up by having someone break in to our home and that was just the beginning .    If you are thinking of using M and T read this first and save yourself a lot of trouble http://mymandtbankstory.weebly.com/

Time Wasters

Serving as a recently appointed President to a local social club, I was contacted by M&T about banking services that they could offer to us. I was told that I could visit a local branch to set-up on-line assess to an already existing account. This would make the Treasurer's job easier. I went to our local branch and spent about 45 minutes setting up the access with a banker. After, I was told that I would be charged $7.50 a month for the service because we had a business account, based on our business relationship. I canceled our on-line service and will be seeking another bank. We held an account with M&T for at least twenty five years. I also plan to hang up on all their future phone calls.

Absolutely The Worst Bank I Have Ever Dealt With.

If you're thinking about using M&T Bank for anything do yourself an enormous favor, and don't do it. If I could have given it no stars I would have. PUT SIMPLY THEY ARE LIARS AND THIEVES.

M & T Bank Must Not Have Enough Staff To Answer Their Phone Lines. Good Time To Help Create Jobs By Hiring Some More Employees!

My loan got sold to this M&T bank. Every time I try to call their customer service line, I am on hold for over 30 minutes so I end up haning up on the line as it's costing me minutes with my phone company. I then send them an email about the issue, as I'm just trying to reset my access to get onine. When they call back and leave a message (takes them a few days to get back), I have to call back to the same line where I am on hold forever! I hate this bank and will be looking to get my loan out of this company.

They Stink!

Onerous document requirements to open an online account, and not clearly stated at the time of opening.

Service ; They Don't Know What The Word Means. They Will Fee You To Death!

With hundreds of thousand dollars in their bank on which they are paying me nothing, last month they are trying to charge me $266.00 in fees. I would not recommend them to a dog.

Great Bank To Build A Relationship With

I've had an account at M&T since literally the day I was born (thanks grandma!). If you do more than just use them for a free checking account, they really treat you well. I have my mortgage with them, and in return, I now get a waiver for all Non-Bank ATM fees, PLUS a reimbursement for all the fees charged by OTHER BANKS when I use their ATM...the bottom line is that all ATMs everywhere are now "my" ATM, I never have to pay to get money! They've also given me a free safety deposit box, free money orders, free wire transfers, free personal checks, etc. They're kind of a regional bank, so if you travel around a lot you might not want to use them just for getting cash from an ATM, but if you want to build a great banking relationship, this is the way to go.

STAY AWAY FROM M&T BANK

I had the great misfortune of taking my first mortgage through this awful bank. M&T was recommended by my realtor (looking back, I realize how realty is a boy's club where everyone promotes their friends and treats their buyers like a walking paycheck). Right off the bat, they were dragging their feet. Stuff was taking more than a week at a time to turn around. Being new to the mortgage process, and being pressed for time due to an expiring apartment lease, I chose to stick with them because it seemed like it would take even more time to change banks and re-apply. Little did I expect for them to lose my forms, shuffle me between loan processors, charge me "rate lock extension" fees, and basically draw out my mortgage FOR THREE MONTHS. By the time it was nearing the end, I was yelling at my loan processor on the phone.

Now, after having read about how they notoriously screw things up when you try to do it online or by mail, I have committed to making mortgage payments in the branch, so that I will have receipts in case bogus late fees start to show up on my statements. The best part of making this sacrifice is that the tellers upsell checking/savings accounts EVERY SINGLE TIME I make a payment at the branch. It is extremely annoying. Like I am stupid enough to give them anymore of my business than absolutely necessary. It would be different if the tellers were pleasant people, but they are not polite, they have bad attitudes and they look at me like I am a villain (with the exception of one woman who is actually very nice). One of them tried to upsell an account to me, and when I told her no, she had the audacity to pry into it, wanting to know why, asking me questions about my bank, trying to push me into signing up.

Long story short - do yourself a HUGE favor, and do not do business with M&T Bank in any way.

Seriosuly Trustless Bank

When I check my online bank, unknown got $600 from my account. I asked to M&T, and they said that was their mistake (Electronic Error)... what the X.....

And they didn't compensate anything.. If I didn't check my online bank, they ate my $600.

M&T ,Short For Morons And Twitts.

M&T Bank has no loyalty to their customers that have been with Wilmington Trust since their existence Their caring commercial is so fake it should be fraudulent. The manager and others give false and unknowing advice, if any at all. Go somewhere else. I went to pnc. Wow. People can still be courteous to the elderly in the community.