Navy Federal Credit Union Reviews

Great Credit union

I have been pleased with this credit union. i have had an ccount for many years now. A while back i had an issue with credic card fraud and i explained my situation and the next day i was refunded the funds that was stolen from me. they are very friendly and have amazing customer service. my only problem would be that i have to drive quite a way to find a location, but as far as products and services i am very pleased.

NAVY FEDERAL CREDIT UNION....NO LONGER A TRUST WORTHY FINANCIAL INSTITUTION

NFCU has very unfriendly customer service representatives and I believe that I need to warn Military personnel and Civilians about this bank.  Recently, I had a family emergency and for the 1st time ever, in five years, I am about 4 days late on a credit card payment. I told NFCU rep. that I would make my payment on Jan 15th, 2011.  Well they froze my checking and savings accounts so now I cannot even put gas in my car. This never ever happened to me with any bank in 29 years.  I am 49.  If you are even one day late due to emergency, business trip, military deployment,etc., I promise they have the right to freeze your other accounts.  I am going to pay off that credit card and move my business elsewhere. 2nd, after reading several complaints online, I just found out that if you have for example, a mortgage and a car loan and you are, for example, late on your mortgage, maybe 60 days, they can repo your car, EVEN IF YOU NEVER MISSED A CAR PAYMENT, ALL OF YOUR ACCOUNTS ARE TIED TOGETHER. BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discriminates Against Wounded Soldiers - Disabled Vets- Dont Waste Your Time They Wont Take You!

I can't believe that this company will not accept veterns due to their short term. You must be active or retired from military. So too bad for our troops that come back with missing arms and legs. They are discriminated against. So tell me how a guy coming back disabled can possibly continue their career when they are disabled?
Just a tyical bank using Navy in it's name trying to pretend they care about our military.

Customer Service Reps Are Increasingly Hostile

Navy Federal used to set the bar for financial institutions, but in the last two years their customer service reps are increasingly hostile (including their supervisors), their credit card service has become onerous, and their online banking has gotten worse. I am asked to renew security questions almost every time I log on.

The last time I had to call them to allow a Visa Check charge to go through they asked me where I lived in 1993. Honestly? Who does that?

Navy Fed appears to be run now by the same government hacks that brought you the joy of NMCI and other government IT blunders. Recommend you go elsewhere.

Truth - - WOW

I was a customer woth this formerly outstanding institution. But BEWARE it has become too big for its britches. I bacame 70.00 behind on a 1500.00 credit line and called to make arrangements. They agreed to them (2 weeksin future). I even paid early by western union. When I deposited 2000.00 in my bank account and put 700.00 toward my credit line it was happily accepted. Imagine my surprise when I was notified that my credit card account was closed, So I called and the rep stated to pay off the credit line in full and they would re-instate it . The closure was because of recent activity on this account. What paying down the credit card ??? Customer NO-service ensued so I immediately withdrew my cash from all accounts. I WAS a customer for 5 years and $70.00 caused all this turmoil. I recommend all military/family close there accounts or suffer the consequences of this institution. USAA is the way to go and is now my choice for loans/creditcards/insurance/checking(free with atm re-imbursement for fees) free checks and a customer service that is freindly/american and glad to be employed.

Former Employee

Navy Federal offers great benefits, but you have to work a lot of overtime to get a decent paycheck in Collections.  Management does not know you as an individual, only as employee number *****.  Supervisors only cater to their own and helping their friends & relatives advance in the company.  There is not a real big opportunity for advancement unless you know someone higher up and have good connections.  Too much stress in collections and you are expendable no matter how good your numbers may be.  They are very two faced and do not abide by their code of ethics.  They use profanity in the workplace and are the slightest bit professional-the Collections department.  I would recommend military members to go to USAA where you will always be treated with respect.  All they care about at NFCU is getting the loan/credit card payment regardless of your financial situation.  They tell you to borrow the money just to get by for one month.  To them it is about making numbers and getting a percent, not the overall value of genuinely trying to help the member get and stay out of delinquency.

This WAS An Incredible Place To Bank

Horrible!!! Mistakes Made On My Online Banking. Sure To Take Money From Any Asset They Can

Navy Federal Credit Union used to be a good Credit Union when I first started banking in 2003.  If I am late on my credit card by a day they charge a fee and then take out money from any account available including my 4 year old daughters account.

Times have gotten tough for my wife and myself Navy Federal doesn't care they money from any account available.  My wife still has an account with them for one withdrawl that has not been adjusted.  They have regularly taken money out of her account causing her charges from the other bank.

After I was less then 30 days late on a credit account  (130.00) they threatened to repossess our car, another loan through them.

The Customer Service is hostile and will hang up on you if they dont agree with you.

Bottom line.. if you have eligibility with this bank.. dont go there.. use USAA instead.

Navy Fed -- Unorganized And Clueless EACH And Every Time (Though They Try, They Always, Always Mess Up)

I have a couple accounts with Navy Fed, and WITHOUT FAIL, every single time I have had to do something major (ie, open an account, close an account, change my personal information, etc) they have made major mistakes. Not even once did it happen without a major incident. It's a running joke now in our family. 6 times out of 6 -- with more than one person in our family -- they've messed up, made mistakes, and didn't have a clue. That said, things eventually (read: EVENTUALLY) get corrected, and they try. It's not like they're mean or nasty. It's just that, well, under "incompetent" or "danger-prone" in the dictionary, it says "See Navy Federal FCU." We keep an account there because there's a branch close by, though because they can never seem to get things right, all my everyday banking is done at another close-by credit union instead. Those of us in my family simply have only CDs and/or IRAs there (certificates that don't require much once they're opened), but every time we've even tried to do something as simple as just opening a CD, there's been major gaffes and mistakes. Again, you don't get the feeling like they're trying to fleece you (the way we do with the major banks) but as much as I hate to say it, to anyone looking at their operation, they just seem totally halpless. Especially when compared to the two other credit unions I deal with (one large, one small) that never have any of the constant problems NavyFed seems to have each time.

That said, if you qualify to have an account at NavyFed, it's probably a good idea to open an account and at least get your foot in the door with just a simple share savings account ($5) because occasionally they have decent rates on CDs and IRAs. But just know going in that there will most likely be problems and mistakes made with simple banking transactions (everything from filling out an application form -- which mysteriously gets lost when it's sent inter-office to the main branch -- to opening the wrong account types). Part of the problem is that EVERYTHING has to go through the main office on the east coast -- and whenever problems happen, nothing can be solved until it goes into a long queue at the main office and someone there manually looks at it and after a while, responds. It's old-fashioned in that even a branch manager is helpless to do anything except send a message to headquarters and await a reply which may come in a few days or a few weeks.

Again though, if you qualify, it's good to at least open an account and watch out for occasional specials. We have some CDs and IRAs there because of the rates -- but not one account has been opened trouble-free, so just keep that in mind. The CSRs in the branch and on the phone are quite nice and mean well, but to be honest, the best way to put it, is that it's a lot like banking with the Keystone Cops. Still, I'd still rather have that than bank with a megabank like BofA, Wells, Chase, that treat their customers like dirt. But it's amazing how unorganized and trouble-prone NavyFed is, when no other credit union I've ever dealt with has had the kind of problems they have. They really need to to fix the entire structure of their organization.

Customer Service ----- Wow

The Customer Service seems to be just nasty at this credit union.

Terrible. Welcome To Banking From The 1960S!

Among all the bad (and sadly, deserved) reviews of Navy Federal, I'd like to point out something that no one else has mentioned yet: the feeling that you're still banking in the 1960s with these guys (and in this case, that's not a good feeling). Like others here, I'm a memeber of multiple credit unions and also do business with banks, and I've never seen anyone worse than Navy Fed. But, as others have pointed out, they occasionally have good CD specials that sometimes (sometimes) make it worth jumping through all the hoops and incompetence of Navy Fed.

However I want to point out how backward's Navy's automated banking system is.

## TWO THINGS: ##

(#1): AUTOMATED INFO ON YOUR ACCOUNT TAKES 2 DAYS TO UPDATE

If you make a despoit (even a CASH deposit in person at a branch), that deposit will not show up on the automated systems UNTIL TWO DAYS LATER.

Likewise, if you make a withdrawl (even a withdrawl in person at a branch), your withdrawl will not show up on their automated systems UNITL TWO DAYS LATER.

Welcome to banking from the last century.

I had $1000 in a normal NavyFCU savings account. Not too long ago, I went on a Monday to deposit $200 in CASH and in PERSON at the local branch. I was given a receipt that did indeed show the new balance with the deposit I just made. HOWEVER... it's standard practice for Navy NOT TO UPDATE THEIR AUTOMATED SYSTEMS WITH DEPOSITS OR WITHDRAWLS FOR A DAY OR TWO. And sure enough, when I checked using their automated phone system that night, it still only showed $1000. And all day on TUESDAY (all the NEXT DAY), it STILL only showed $1000. Finally on Wednesday, their systems had been updated, and it showed $1200 as it should.

Same thing with withdrawls. Just this Monday, I had about $500 in my savings account. Again, I went into the BRANCH in PERSON on Monday, and took out $400 (as a bank check, though that doesn't matter). I was given a receipt showing my new balance was now around $100... but AS ALWAYS, NavyFed DOES NOT UPDATE THEIR AUTOMATED SYSTEMS until after about 2 DAYS. And sure enough, I called the automated system that night. Still said I had $500 in my account. Called the automated system TUESDAY. Still said I had $500 in my account. It wasn't until WEDNESDAY that it finally got around to updating itself and saying I only had about $100 left.

** Imagine if I was having a busy week, and had forgot about the withdrawl, and needed to know how much I really had in my account. Their automated systems will tell you the WRONG AMOUNT for TWO DAYS until they finally get around to updating them. What if I had written out a check to someone, relying on what their automated systems say I have as my balance? It would have bounced, and I would have been responsible for the fees. **

However, THANKFULLY I do NOT have a checking account with them -- and this is one of the many reasons why.

As I mentioned earlier, I belong to other credit unions (as well as a bank), and ALL of the others IMMEDITATELY update their automated systems to show any deposits or withdrawls -- IMMEDIATELY. None of this "2 days waiting" junk. Again, this is not waiting for checks to "clear" or anything. Me taking out $400 took two days to post to their automatic systems (as do all deposits and withdrawls, it seems) -- and frankly, it's pathetic. With my main credit union (NOT Navy), the instant I make a withdrawl or deposit -- either from the ATM or in person at the branch -- I can call the automated number and my account will immediately show it seconds later. Not with Navy. Don't believe me? Try it yourself. Make a withdrawl from your account and then call the automated info line to find out your balance, and see how it's not posted that day. Or the next day. Only two days later does it finally show up.

*** #2 ***: NavyFed Savings Accounts only allow ACH DEPOSITS -- *NOT* Withdrawls! And if you TRY to do a withdrawl, Navy will let it go through -- THEN INITIATE AN ACH OF THEIR OWN TO GET THE MONEY BACK!

I have a normal NavyFed savings account that I'll occasionally make deposits to via ACH (from another credit union). So when I have some extra money at my main credit union, I'll send some (via ACH) to my NavyFed savings account (and by the way, it takes NavyFed 1-2 days LONGER than any of the other institutions I ACH to, for the funds to show up).

However once I needed the money in my Navy Fed account, and didn't feel like making the trip to the closest branch. So instead, I did an ACH from my main credit union where, instead of sending a deposit, I had my main credit union "take" or get some money via ACH from Navy Fed (an ACH withdrawl). Apparently, Navy Fed doesn't allow this (and after this fiasco I called and verified -- they will allow you only to DEPOSIT to savings accounts via ACH, NOT withdraw). But what really angered me, was that their system ALLOWED the ACH TO GO THROUGH. A couple days later, and the funds from NavyFed were in my main credit union's account. I immediately took the funds, and used them. BUT THEN 24hrs later, NavyFed initiated -- on their own -- what I would can an "ACH Recall", where they then sucked the money back from my other credit union, back to NavyFed. Except I had already withdrawn the money to use -- so my main credit union had to take it from another account so I wouldn't be overdrawn. When I called Navy, they said "sorry, we don't allow you to withdraw from a savings account via ACH, only deposit" -- but the SYSTEM lets it go through -- THEN tries to get it back. Thankfully, my main credit union was great in all of this (UNLIKE Navy) and didn't charge fees, and I got it all straightened out thanks to my main (other) credit union.

-------------

There are a whole host of reasons not to make NavyFed your primary bank... others have posted a lot of them, but I thought I'd post this two as well -- as no one else has written on this yet.

Anyone who takes banking seriously should seriously avoid NavyFed for anything but CD specials until they change.

Absolutely ZERO Stars

Navy Federal is a bank that has high cc interest rates and pratically no money returned in savings. I had the for about 9 years and although they weren't a great bank, they sufficed. I got elected for the seaman to admiral program and usaa had great offers... I switched my direct deposit to usaa while keeping an account with navy federal and usaa was beyond amazing... I realized that navy federal was horrific in customer service and rates...like an employees review above, navy federal treats you like a number. I went from a 15.9% on my credit card with navy federal to 4% with usaa. USAA has amazing customer service, and great rates. I have my auto insurance, renters insurance, school loan, retirement and childrens accounts ( they are 4 and 6) with them. I happily closed Navy federal and after 7 more years in the service, I have NEVER had anything even medium or normal (lack of words) with USAA, just excellent and superb. If you are even thinking of navy federal, seriously look into USAA and you'll be happy you did.

Fee You To Death - Bank Of America's Cousin

My family has been with NFCU since the early 90's and I guarantee you this is not the bank that my Grandfather joined or the one I joined.  They have a new system that back dates purchases.  They have made it increasingly confusing to figure out how funds are taken from your account so that they can nickle and dime you $29 returned check fees every chance they get.

How on earth does the bank charge me a $29 fee for a check of $175 when there was a balance of $1311????  Oh it's because a restaurant charged my card three times and voided it twice but because the two voided charges were pending it bounced the check among other bills that went through.  All of which had enough funds to cover them.

Ok I can see how this can happen, the timing was off on it all, but when I call to state why this happened and the CSR agent agrees that it wasn't my fault and that there was plenty of money in there to cover the check, she then tells me that because they refunded a $29 fee in April for me that they won't be able to do it again.  Next time, because it is too late to do it now, I should contact the restaurant and have them fax over documentation stating that they charged the account too much and to take the pending charges off.  WHAT!?!?!

I told the CSR agent that this was the last time they would be taking a $29 fee from me and that I would be closing my account.  I said it was completely ridiculous for me to have to try to get a restaurant... A RESTAURANT.. to fax documentation over stating that the charges can come off.  And I have to do that before the fee hits.  So what if that was a Saturday night and everything went through Monday morning.  I guess I would be screwed in that situation as well.

It is very sad that I have to leave this bank and I wish I didn't but I will not lose anymore money to NFCU because they want to be like Bank of America.

Poor Service.

You are probably better off going with another bank. Navyfcu has probably outgrown itself and the kind of excuses they make is childs play. Cant even get a simple transaction done over the phone without mounds of excuses why fed govt is closed or someone else will call you back and never do

GOOD But Starting To Lag Behind

Been a member since 1987 but didn't start using them for routine banking until the mid-90's.

Recommend the CDs which generally rate better than commercial banks.  The complaints about rude tellers or incompetence are individual issues, not an institutional one - IMHO.  In agreement however, I have never and sat down and discussed extensive financial matters with an NFCU employee, and probably never will, but for routine day to day banking and credit, has worked fine for me.  Until now.

As we become a cashless society, using credit and debit cards most of the time, you need to monitor the market, and in this regard and unfortunately, NFCU has not stayed up on trends.

I've asked twice, once recently, for consideration on absorbing the 1% of purchase amount for foreign currency Visa transactions for those living long term or stationed overseas.  Rebuffed again.  It's a Visa charge not an NFCU charge, which I agree with, even though the name has changed at least 2 times in the past years, now it's "International Service Fee" I think.  Put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig.

Truth is, there are other options out there that do absorb this pesky foreign currency transaction charge, also reimburse foreign ATM charges which can range from 1 to 6 dollars extra, and offer a higher cash back % on top of all that, which together, beats the pants off NFCU.  The key is not carrying a large balance as the APR is a tad higher than NFCU.  One nice feature on one or two I've found and applied for today, is the foreign ATM charges are reimbursed immediately, which keeps the money in our pockets, where it belongs, and easier to track on statements.

NFCU does refund their own extra $1.00 non-NFCU ATM fee (up to $20/month I think), but only if you use the right foreign ATM.  Unfortunately, you must wait for the end of the month to get all your $1.00 charges back and you have to go back and figure out which ones applied to which ATMs, instead of rebating the $1.00 right away.  A bit cumbersome for the customer to track.

So, be wary and know what you are in for when you swipe that NFCU Visa credit or Visa debit card (or any card) overseas or stick it in the ATM.  Bear in mind, local ATM fees may be added to the overall withdraw amount also in foreign currency, thus you get the 1% charge on that whole amount, and then keep in mind, the Visa (and MasterCard) foreign exhange rate is always a tad below the international rate, so you hand over more money on that as well.  If you are in a country where there is no NFCU branch, they you are pretty much out of luck and in for it at the end of the month.

Other institutions are pulling ahead by paying attention to their customers with these extra touches in service and convenience.  A dead art that will only be brought back into fashion through competition and that will only happen if consumers wake up and remind businesses of the "customer - provider" relationship, which has become retardedly reversed in the past 5 to 10 years.  The only thing business will respond to is loss of revenue and market share, and once they do, will dress it up to make it seem like they are doing you favor.

Don't be cowed, be smart, do a little research on-line and don't be afraid (or lazy) to change things up to save your money, or at least not give it away for nothing if you can help it.  Personally, I would be happy to keep everything in NFCU, but am not going to foolishly give away hundreds of dollars if there is a better option.

Either Very Good Or Very Horrid

My husband has been a member of Navy Federal since he joined the Navy in 2005 and I have had accounts there since we married in 2008.  They used to be great, but in the last 18 months or so, things have taken a severe turn for the worse.

Here are the cons:

* Customer service is a nightmare.  Rude, rude, rude and rude.  They will actually argue with you, take "notes" for your account (which are never there when you have to call again), act like you are an idiot when you call and then will try to sell you something!  Everytime I call, I'm told I'm not a full member - I guess the checking account, credit card, debit card, car loans and savings account with my name on it are not enough...  They all say the same thing, too - "If your husband dies, we will lock you out of the accounts because you don't have a seperate account from him."  Excuse me?!?!  Beyond the error of the statement since the accounts are JOINT, nice customer service to a military spouse.  Considering this is NAVY Federal Credit Union, and sea duty can be 50% or more of a sailor's career and they (along with every other branch) are in hotzones, this is just great customer service, ya know?  Thank you for reminding me of the dangers of my husband's job.  Not like I simply forgot...

* Simple issues like changing an address take forever to fix and usually need to be done online and on the phone for it to stick.  Also, if you have a joint account, everything is linked for payments, but not personal information, so you have to log in to 2 seperate accounts and more than likely, make 2 seperate phone calls to just change an address.  As a military related institution, whose members change addresses quite frequently, this is just absurd.

*  Paperwork is sent to different places for the same loan.  For example, car titles go to Pennsylvania, but all of the loan paperwork is sent to Virginia, hence the common complaint of titles being lost that you'll find on the web.  We've purchased 2 cars with loans from Navy Federal and the paperwork seems to be very confusing for the car dealer and add an extra layer of hassle to an already frustrating experience.  This has happened at 2 different dealers in 2 different states.

*  They will freeze your debit card with no warning.  Imagine how fun that is on a payday at the commissary and your debit card does not work!  Sometimes they don't even have an idea as to why it was frozen and will gladly unfreeze it, but still...  And, good luck if you need a new card because of a legitimate security issue.  When VISA had its issues with security breaches a few years ago, Navy Federal's policy was freeze first, then wait to see if the customer calls to send out a new card.  It took multiple phone calls to find out why our cards were not working and then after being assured that new cards were in the mail, they never processed the order for the new cards!   Something that should've taken a few business days to correct took almost 2 weeks!  Thank goodness we were in San Diego which has branches everywhere, unlike other stations where there is 1 branch 30 minutes away so we at least had access to our money.  Other institutions we have belonged to will freeze the card, call/email/send smoke signals/etc.. to inform you of the problem and will have a new card to you with in 3 or 4 business days... it just doesn't work that way with Navy Federal.

*  Their mortgage center is either severly understaffed or incompetent.  It took 8 weeks for them to acknowledge our application and that was after we had to move heaven and earth to rescind it since we went with another lender.  We had a representative call 2 weeks after we closed on our house to start the mortgage process.  When informed that we had already closed, she offered to refinance for us!  Umm.. no thanks.

The pros:

*  They have good rates.  The same rates can be found elsewhere, however.

* The branches are superb.  Yes there can be a wait, but they are always courteous, quick as they can be and make sure you leave happy.  I think the longest I've ever waited in line was 30 minutes and considering that was a payday, not too bad.  For those who complain about the lines at the bank, try a Bank of America or other large bank on a payday afternoon, the wait is comparable or longer.

*  Perks with discounts & member only services.  They have discounts on tax software and occasionally on shopping items.  The member only services are nice - their home center is very helpful with checklists to compare realtors & houses when looking to buy.  They will even refer you to a realtor and if you close with that realtor, you receive money back.  You don't have to have a mortgage with them to qualify.

Overall, the experience with Navy Federal is hit and miss.  The perks are nice, but for us, the hassles of everyday banking are just too much.  Most of our major issues began as they expanded to include all branches of the military & DOD personnel.  Maybe they grew too fast and haven't been able to properly train people, hence all of the incompentcy that is encountered online & over the phone.  Maybe they don't care.  And that is why we are looking at other options for our money.

ZERO STARS ACTUALLY

Navy Federal will not allow me to be listed on my husband's account as a joint owner because after my previous marriage, I had to file bankruptcy and a credit card that I had through them was included in that bankruptcy.  I didn't file bankruptcy because of any fiscal irresponsibility on my part, I was forced to file because I had $30k of uncovered medical bills that I was unable to get personal loans to cover and was advised upon speaking with attorney after attorney that it was the only way I would be able to resolve the issue.

When I asked the woman if something were to happen to my husband, how would I gain access to his account, she told me that I would have to get Power of Attorney.

I asked her why Navy Fed penalizes people for being sick. She had no response to that. I told her that even though my bankruptcy was five years ago and it was for no reason other than extraordinary medical expenses, and they could pull my credit report to see that in the 5 years since I had the filing that there was zero credit issues whatsoever, I'm still being blackballed for life by them and that it's unfair practice.

I told her the representative that based on this, I am strongly going to encourage my husband to close out his account and take his $50k of loans/investments elsewhere.  I also told her that I will make sure that my son, who is joining the Marines, will not use Navy Fed either since they will barr me from being a joint owner to access his account while he is in basic.

Navy Fed is absolutely horrible and uncaring. Take your money elsewhere since if you have a significant life event beyond your control, you will have no help and will be excluded from them for the rest of your life.

Bank To Bank Transfers Are Only ONE Way - What A Joke! NFCU Is Still In The 1980'S!!!

What a surprise when I went to set up a bank to bank transfer from Navy FCU to USAA.

I found out that you can ONLY push money from Navy FCU to other banks.

You CANNOT pull money from an outside bank account (ex. USAA) into a Navy FCU account!!!

But, you can pull money from an outside bank to ONLY pay an existing Navy FCU type bill (ex. mortgage, car payment, credit card payment, etc).

Navy FCU seems to be behind the times!!!

I called up a representative to inquire about this and the guy starts spouting off some BS about it's a Federal Regulation that they cannot pull money from another bank and transfer the money into a Navy FCU account.

He quickly realized how stupid he sounded and tried to back peddle when I told him he did not know what he was talking about and that I transferred money all the time from USAA to various Rewards Checking accounts all over the country, including to little po-dunk banks in Wyoming and Kentucky.

What a shame for the "worlds largest credit union"...with stupid CSR's to boot!  Stupid Squids!

CONSTANT ONLINE BANKING ISSUES FOR NEW ACCOUNT...I'm SWITCHING BANKS

I feel like I am being forced to switch banks...again! I am new to NFCC but due to the constant online banking issues I am closing my account. I simply CANNOT tolerate late payments, no notifications to payment complications, etc. Even after 3 phone calls and several hours woth of explaining my issues they have not fixed "my account issues" on their part of things. If I have funds and pay my bill before the due date HOW IS IT MY BILLS HAVE NOT BEEN PAID?!?

The service people have been understanding even the 2 supervisors have been very nice BUT they have not fixed their issues. I found out today that 2 more of my bills are either overdue or simple have not processed.

******UNACCEPTABLE!!!****** I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS HAS HAPPENED!

Foreign ATM / Debit / Credit Card Use

I've covered this topic here before but it's worth doing again from time to time, especially for Active Duty and family stationed overseas, those who deploy for long periods of time, retired, and other members who may work and/or live overseas. This is not anti-NFCU, merely information and awareness for those who aren't dialed or simply don't pay much attention to it- like I didn't for so many years on active duty, about 70% spent deployed or stationed overseas.

NFCU Visa logo ATM/Debit/Credit card products have a 1% International Transaction Fee attached to them. Not bad compared to some out there with 2, 3, 4 and even 5%. tacked on! You won't see this clearly indicated on the NFCU terms because, as they and most other banks/CUs will tell you, it's not their fee. Fair enough, but your account balance doesn't see the distinction.

There may also be ATM owner fees, ranging from $0 to $6~$7 per transaction (My country of residence is nearly $6 for foreign ATM cards) and, like the withdraw amount itself, will fluctuate with foreign exchange rates (if applicable).

NFCU also has a $1.00 per transaction flat fee if using a Plus system ATM or a foreign ATM. I am not sure if they reimburse this proprietary fee when using a foreign ATM in their authorized pool. They used to far as I can recall but it's not 100% clear to me now when reviewing the front page terms on their reimbursable checking accounts.

NFCU advertises their Active Duty and Flagship Checking as reimbursing ATM fees up to $20/mo and $10/mo respectively. Cool, eh?

Using the above fees on a notional foreign ATM withdraw of $500.00 equivalent in foreign currency, the fees would be roughly $5 in Visa International Fee, $6 ATM fee (YMMV here) and $1 NFCU fee. $12 or roughly 2.5% of the total withdraw. Again, there are variables and the % fee will fluctuate with foreign exchange rates relative to the final amount of the withdraw itself, also based on foreign exchange rates.

It's easy to see how these fees would quickly exceed the monthly reimbursement amount while noting that the Visa 1% fee will not be reimbursed.

Other points to note:

Foreign Exchange rates for Visa (and MasterCard) are set by them, not NFCU or the *ATM, and are generally just a tad below International rates. Side note, Visa exchange rates are generally a smidge better than MasterCard.

*Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC). When using a US ATM/Debit/Credit Card overseas "out in town", you may be presented with the option of having the foreign currency bill settled in US Dollars right there on the spot. ATMs usually put up a screen giving you this option. Debit/Credit card signature receipts with this option are often much longer in length with all the agreement verbiage and the total displayed in US Dollars.

ALWAYS DECLINE DCC!

The exchange rate given is less than the Visa/ MasterCard rate and often 1 or 2 points below International. Decline the ATM option screen, which may be worded in a confusing way so read and select carefully. For debit/credit card transactions, politely insist the merchant cancel it and re-do in host nation currency so you get the better Visa (or MasterCard) exchange rate. They might say they can only do DCC transactions with foreign cards. I've stood my ground and waited for up to 20 minutes until they give up and miraculously figure it out. Up to you how far you are willing to go - options being agree to DCC, cancel and settle in cash or where possible, abandon the goods and walk away. In any case, make sure you get the transaction cancel receipt and check your account on-line. You may have a pending transaction and it might take a day or two to clear off.

Another note about DCC is Visa/MasterCard STILL charges the International Fee even if you settle in Dollars, so you get gouged twice. This charge used to be called "Foreign Currency Fee" or "Foreign Exchange Fee" and has been changed over the years to International Transaction Fee (or similar). Clever, huh? Even more sinister, it used to be a hidden fee until legislation forced it to be listed as a distinct charge on your statement.

YMMV where you live and it would certainly be wise to use an overseas NFCU branch if you've got one, and lower cost foreign exchange options on base as much as possible vs. using ATMs and local debit/credit transactions.

If you find the fees unacceptable, as I did years ago, once I started paying attention, there are better options out there that absorb the Visa/MasterCard International Transaction Fees, don't charge any extra ATM fees, and also reimburse foreign ATM fees. A number of companies offer credit cards without International Transaction Fees and a fairly decent cash rewards program, which can help bridge the minor gap between Visa/MasterCard foreign exchange rates and International rates.

Do your homework and don't be lazy to break out of the comfortable shoe of your present financial institution in order to avoid avoidable fees.

It's your money!

Navy Federal Policies HORRIBLE!!!!!

Navy Federal says they are there for those who serve! B.S. if some
unforeseen happens and you need to file a BK they drop you FOREVER
doesn't matter if you pay them back 100% plus interest! Way to stand by your
military in their time of need, it's bad enough they had to do it just pour salt in
the wound!! Thanks Navy Federal!

Grow, Grow, Grow = Go, Go, Go!

My husband and I have been members of NFCU since 1990.  We loved the one on one friendly customer service.  In the past few years, NFCU has only been interested in getting bigger and bigger.  Customer loyalty means absolutely nothing and the customer service is completely gone.  We tried to refinance our home and they sent out some hack without a license that appraised out home for (no joke) half of it's true value.  Last year we applied for another mortgage on a different home and were denied.  We were puzzled.  If WE couldn't get a mortgage, who could?  We had no debt and a near perfect credit rating.  Then, when we asked NFCU for the reason we were denied, it was obvious to us.  Whoever input our application listed our income as more than $1,000 less/month than what we earn and the only assets they listed for us were one account we had with them.  They did NOT include the other money we had deposited with them totaling close to $100,000!!!  It was unbelievable. We have since withdrawn all our money and closed all our accounts.  We were not even asked why. (remember, we have been members since 1990)  We are currently refinancing our mortgage with another lender and will be rid of them for good.  I wouldn't reccommend them to our worst enemy!

Best Credit Union Ever!

I love Navy Federal. I have financed three homes with them, and have done in over the phone! They have the most stream-lined paperwork ever. They have me enrolled in online check deposit - I enter my check information online, and it is automatically credited to my account. I then have 7 days to mail the check to the bank in a pre-paid envelope - very handy as I don't live close to a branch. When my son needed a car loan (with no credit history) they pre-approved him for $3000.00 - plenty to buy a car, but not enough to get into trouble. They also gave my son his first credit card, that has cash rewards! His credit card pays him. They have great rates on savings, and frequent special rates on CDs with interest much higher than average. I really think Navy Fed is the best credit union ever. They have my business for life!

Yet Another Incompetent Navyfed Story. AVOID!

Here's another incompetent NavyFed story to add to all the others. Just the other day I went into the local branch. A Roth IRA CD had just matured and my father wanted to take the funds, and instead of renewing at the current horrible CD rates, just move it to a Roth IRA Money Market account.

Simple, right? No change of anything (Roth IRA to Roth IRA) -- the only thing changing is that instead of renewing it as a CD, we just wanted to change it to a (Roth IRA) money market.

Well, nothing is simple at NavyFed. After waiting to first "check in", then waiting a long period of time to finally see someone to help, the person at the branch told us that Navy does not offer Roth IRA Money Market accounts. When I insisted that their web page shows "IRA/ESA Money Market Account" information, he said "yes, but not ROTH IRAs." He then said "look, my system isn't giving me any choice except to renew it as a ROTH IRA CD. If you want an IRA Money Market, we'll have to first convert it from a Roth to a non-Roth IRA." That was NOT what my dad wanted, so we asked to speak to the branch manager.

Okay, so the branch manager comes over and looks at their computer screen and says "Hmm... you know, it's not letting us do ANYTHING except renew it as a CD again. And our front page doesn't say anything about "ROTH" IRA money markets. I don't think we can do it." (this was the BRANCH MANAGER).

Except I had called their 800 number in the past, and was told that yes, they of course have Roth IRA Money Market Accounts. When I told this to the branch manager, she then picked up the phone, and tried to speak to someone at their "tech team" wondering why no options were being available except to renew the funds as a CD (or get the cash out). She then said the incredible statement that "at the branch level, we only get computer updates every once in a while, so I'm going to try to call our tech team." Except it has nothing to do with "updates". Roth IRA Money Markets have been available at NavyFed for quite a while.

So while we were all there in the room, I took out my cel phone, called NavyFed's nationwide 800 number, spoke to the IRA department, and verified that yes, they of course DO INDEED offer IRA Money Markets (either normal IRA or ROTH IRAs). The lady on the phone said she could do it for us right then and there. But because we were with the branch manager and another employee, I told the lady on the phone we'd call her back later.

At that point, I hung up, and as we had already waited 55 MINUTES at this point from the time we walked in the branch (I timed it) -- and the branch manager was still on the phone to her tech people trying to figure out how to do something so simple, we told her please to just leave it, that their 800 number said they could easily do it over the phone, and that we'd call later and do it ourselves. Again, not wanting a mess-up, we told her PLEASE DON'T DO ANYTHING to it, we'll take care of it ourselves later with the 800 number people.

With the branch manager still on the phone to her tech people, the other employee apologized, and we left. No sooner did we get home, did we call the 800 number back, and connect to the IRA department. However when we gave them the account number for the CD, they said "Oh, it's already been closed out, and a Roth IRA Money Market account had just been opened with the funds." So, it looks like the local branch finally figured out how to do it somehow -- though they DISREGARDED OUR REQUEST NOT TO DO ANYTHING at that point (that we would do it ourselves later with the people at the 800 number) -- yet DID IT ANYWAY. Lovely.

This KEEPS NavyFed's PERFECT 100% MESS-UP RATE Every SINGLE TIME ANY of us have gone into the branch needing ANYTHING done.

These guys are TERRIBLE. They were going to force us to convert a ROTH IRA to a Normal IRA! Like others here, none of us in our family use Navy as their main bank, and the incident the other day is YET ANOTHER in a LONG LINE of ineptitude of NavyFed. Just thought I'd share it. As others have said, AVOID THESE GUYS, at least as your main bank. They are the VERY DEFINITION of INEPT.

Poor Online Service

I opened a certificate online five days ago and the new certificate still has not appeared under my accounts yet and the funds have not been transferred from my savings share account as directed. The customer service representative that I called after five days was at a loss to explain why it was not done. At this time my account shows a pending transfer from my savings share account. The representative told me the new certificate should appear the following day. In the future I will not be opening any new accounts online with Navy Federal Credit Union due to this poor experience with them.

NAVY FED: ONE SCREWUP AFTER ANOTHER

Navy Fed is such an incompetent institution that the ONLY thing I have there anymore is the simple savings account -- but they STILL screw up, even with that!

LATEST story to add to everyone else's: NAVY FED POST-DATES THEIR MONEY ORDERS/BANK CHECKS!

The other day I needed to take out $2500 from my NavyFed Savings account, and bring it over to my "real" credit union (another credit union, where I do all my real banking).

First I asked for cash (100s and 50s), and then as the teller was counting it out to me, I changed my mind, and thought it'd be better to have a bank check/money order (made out to myself). You're allowed two free a day (didn't want to carry around a bunch of bills, since I'd just be depositing it anyway at my other credit union).

The teller says "no problem" and takes the cash back. But then she tells me to give me a bank check (cashiers check or money order) she has to get a supervisor's approval. Huh? No supervisor approval needed to give me $2500 in cash... but a supervisor's approval needed to give it to me in the form of a check? So we waited. And waited. And waited. And waited. And waited. I was about to just say to hell with it, give me the cash back, when finally she got a supervisor to come over and approve the check.

So I take the check and leave for my OTHER credit union, where I was going to deposit it (and use it to make a payment). Then the teller at my REAL credit union looks at the check and says "you know, we can't cash this check today. For some reaon NavyFed has posted-dated it with tomorrow's date."

THAT'S RIGHT. NavyFed POST-DATES THEIR CHECKS (even when paid for with CASH) FOR THE FOLLOWING DAY. This wasn't something hand-written. This was their normal bankcheck, all computer printed... except sure enough, it had THE NEXT DAY'S DATE ON IT.

What a lovely institution. Have you heard of ANY other institution (from banks to credit unions, to even 7-11s) that POST-DATE their money orders, cashiers checks, and bankchecks for the NEXT DAY? Even when paid with cash (we're not talking about waiting for funds to clear here folks). This is how it spits it out from the computer.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY DEALING WITH THIS TERRIBLE INSTITUTION. I joined them back when they had good CD rates and had to fix problem after problem after problem for the simplest things. It got to be so bad that the ONLY account I now have with them is their simple savings account, and virtually don't use it at all. There is NOTHING good to say about NavyFed.

But I just had to laugh. Not even something as SIMPLE as turning CASH into a BANK CHECK could be done there without INSTITUTIONALLY screwing the customer yet again. Post-dating a bank check for the next day?! When it's all automatic and computer printed?

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY. I have now cleaned out all my funds from there (except for the $5 to hold the account). I'm done with them. I have enough other things to do in life than deal with these incompetent morons. Don't get me wrong, I know every institution can mess up from time to time. With these guys it is EVERY, EVERY, EVERY SINGLE TIME. I'm done.
Bye.

TERRIBLE. AVOID This Place

Yet another review to add to everyone else's here.
NavyFed is TERRIBLE.

It can take up to a WEEK to have any deposit made at an ATM credited to your account. Seriously. Even a CoOp ATM. Even a NavyFed ATM. I'm not talking about clearing the funds. I'm talking about even acknowledging that the deposit was even made.

I belong to three credit unions (Navy, and two others). The other two show your deposit IMMEDIATELY (and both also happen to make those deposits immediately available!) But not Navy. Nope. Not only do they not make the deposit available right away... THEY DON'T EVEN SHOW THE DEPOSIT UNTIL DAYS, DAYS LATER.

If I make an ATM deposit on a Friday afternoon at my OTHER two credit unions, it immeidately shows it in my balance, and the deposit is immediately available.

If I make an ATM deposit on a Friday afternoon at NAVY (either at a CoOp ATM, or even at Navy's OWN ATMs), then even by MONDAY, it will not even SHOW that you even MADE the deposit (let alone letting you access the funds). By Tuesday evening, they're automated system will finally tell you a deposit was made on Friday, and that funds will be available the next day after midnight (ie, Thursday usually by the time you can get at those funds -- deposited the previous Friday -- even if it was cash).

I finally had enough of this crap, and moved all my banking over to another local credit union (I won't even bore you with my Navy CU Card fiasco story).

Do yourself a favor. Just AVOID this place. Have a look at the other reviews here, it should tell you all you need to know. I won't put up with terrible service like this, and neither should you. And if you look around, you'll quickly find that you don't have to "pay" for good service. There are plenty of local, open credit unions and local smaller banks all over the country where you can do your banking.

VERY Good Service And High Marks From Me

I have only been a member for 5 or 6 years, but they have always been helpful to me.  I have only used savings products, so I can not speak about other services they offer.

I just had to move quickly to take advantage of a "special offer" at another credit union.  I had an IRA CD mature about two weeks ago at NAVY, and no place to move it.  So I just parked it in the IRA account into a savings account.

I filled out the paperwork to do a DIRECT TRANSFER of the IRA funds.  I mailed the original forms out to the new CU, and then faxed a copy along with instructions to both credit unions.  I got a call the next day from Navy, asking me if I wanted the check mailed or send overnight.  They offered to do the overnight at a very low rate.  I told them I did not yet have the IRA account opened and no account number.  I asked them to call the other CU to see if they could talk them into assigning the IRA account number to make the transfer.

I guess they did.  The next day, the funds were at the new CU, and they opened and funded the CD special.

WOW - very resposnive, and even worked off the faxed paper instead of having to wait on the originals.

THANK YOU - NAVY FCU - IRA DEPTARMENT

Hypocrites

I'm the son of a Vietnam vet who was wounded in war and received a purple heart. He was honorably discharged yet I was told by Navy fcu that I can't join because my father didn't retire from the military! Hello! He took a bullet for our country! He was attacked with nerve gases! It's kind of hard to retire from any job after all of that. Needless to say, I aim to contact the local media and write to the DOD, VA, and the President in regards to this. I think it's a slap in the face to those who get wounded while protecting us to tell them that they nor their children can join an institution that was created for the military in which they served!

Navy Federal CU Service Deserves High Marks

It took less than 60 seconds to open the Member Appreciation Week Celebration Special certificate on the phone this morning.

Kudos to the CSRs at NavyFed, too.  I have been a member of the credit union for two years.  From the beginning, they have been unfailingly pleasant, polite and helpful whenever I have contacted them.  Even today when they were being inundated with calls on that CD special, the wait time was surprisingly brief and the quality of the service I received from the CSR was as usual.

Good Bank For Military

I have had an account with Navy Federal since a kid and I have continued with them while I served in the Marines and after. I have recieved great rates for all my car loans, CDs, Savings, and the online banking has improved over the last year. I am also a member with USAA, but they never could match the rates for Navy Federal. They even helped me to close out my account and transfer the funds with Marine Pacific (thats a crooked bank). The only thing I have seen is those that have failed or other had banking issues prior to they are slow to assist, but me I have never had poor customer service. I will continue to use this excellent Credit Union. I recommend Navy Federal.

Great Credit Union

I've been with this credit union for a number of years, and they have always provided top notch customer service. This organization offers great rates for auto loans if you qualify, and they seem to try their best to refinance almost any auto loan within reason. I've taken out a few personal loans over the years, and they have always been patient and generous as well. Overall, I would rate them very highly, and reccomend them to anyone in the military or working for a federal job in any capacity.

Hard Inquiry When Opening Account

When opening an account with Navy Federal Credit Union they do a hard inquiry on your credit report. They don't inform the customer of this. As a result, your credit score is dinged.

Hard inquiries occur when a financial institution, such as a lender or credit card issuer, checks your credit report when making a lending decision. For example, hard inquiries commonly take place when a consumer applies for a loan, credit card, or mortgage. You typically have to authorize a hard inquiry. Most important to note, hard inquiries will lower your credit score by a few points and remain on your credit report for two years. As time passes, the damage to your credit score will decrease until the hard inquiry falls off your credit report.

Navy Federal Credit Union - Great For Checking And Incredible For Home Loans!

Navy Federal Credit Union has been awesome.  I have a free checking account and get free checks, online access, mobile phone check deposits and mobile banking through their APP, ATMs where I can deposit checks and cash, and have it instantly counted and posted to my account, great customer service around the clock, and everything I need.

When I applied for a home mortgage, Fairwinds credit union charged me anywhere from $100-$200 just to apply for the mortgage!  While Navy Federal allowed me to apply for free!  Not only did they offer me a great rate and a super fast pre-approval, but the have been incredible during the 10 months my contracted short sale home has been taking to finally be approved by the seller's lender, so it could begin to close.

The mortgage loan officer I have been working with from Navy Federal, Ms. Joy Caraker, has gone above and beyond, answering questions, explaining the home buying, loan options, points, and mortgage process to me-since this is my first home purchase, and returning calls and emails promptly, and even giving me her personal cell phone number so I can reach her after hours or whenever needed if my realtor needs paperwork right away or if I have questions or need help with something.  She has been awesome!  And Navy Federal is also offering me closing cost fee help.  I have had accounts with many different banks in Florida, and by far, Navy Federal is definitely my favorite amogst them. Their products, specials, and customer service is top notch.

Out of all of the brick and online banks that I have been a customer of, the only bank I have found that comes close to NFCU in incredible customer service and products and perks is City National Bank of Taylor Texas, CNBT.  I highly recommend them both!

BYE BYE NFCU RESPONE TO TUCKER

SORRY YOU MESSED UP YOUR LIFE TUCKER AND NFCU DOES NOT WANT TO DO BUINESS WITH YOU. I WOULD NOT WANT TO EITHER! SEEMS LIKE YOU CAN NOT HOLD A STEADY JOB AND GOT IN OVER YOUR HEAD AND HAD NO EMERGENCY FUND... I HAVE BEEN WITH THEM FOR OVER THIRTY YEARS... YOU JUST COST ALL NFCU MEMBERS MONEY... SOMEONE HAS TO PICK UP THE TAB FOR YOUR MISTAKES... PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE A PROBLEM... MY CREDIT SCORE IS A LITTLE BELOW THE AVERAGE FOR MY AREA... THERE IS A ONE COURT JUDGEMENT AGAINST ME... I WANTED TO BUY A NEW CAR... ONLY 34,000 DOLLARS... HEY NFCU I WANT TO BUY A NEW CAR SEND ME AN OPEN PRE PURCHASE CHECK FOR THAT IN THE AMOUNT OF 35,000... OKAY FRIEND,ON THE WAY YOU SHOULD GET IT IN TWO DAYS... THANKS NAVY FEDERAL, YOU ROCK...

PS: I  RETIED AT THE 15 YEAR MARK(ARMY A LITTLE BREAK THEN NAVY... LAST TWO YEARS IN THE HOSPITAL... NEVER HAVE TO WORK AGAIN IN MY LIFE... I AM 53... RETIRED AT 37... MY LIFE ROCKS, I AM ALWASYS LAUGHING, BEEN IN AN AWAESOME REALATIONSHIP FOR 17 YEARS WITH A GIRL THAT JUST TURNED THIRTY SEVEN... I HAVE AN AWESOME LIFE... NFCU DID NOTHING WRONG... YOU DID... I DON'T KNOW IF YOU WERE EVER IN THE MILITARY... IF YOU WERE THEY DID NOT GIVE YOU ANY RESPONSIBILITY... STOP BLAMING OTHERS FOR WHERE YOU ARE AT IN YOUR LIFE!!! BE A MAN AND GROW AND ACCEPT RESPONEABILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS... PERIOD!!!  I HOPE YOU READ THIS POST AND CHOOSE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILTY FOR YOUR LIFE... IF THIS POST UPSETS YOU TO BAD, DON"T CARE... FELL FREE TO RESPOND... IF YOU WANT TO TALK TO ME IN PERSON ABOUT THIS , YOU NAME THE TIME AND PLACE AND I WILL HAVE NO PROBLEM CHATTING WITH YOU AND HELPING YOU THROUGH THIS TOUGH TIME... JUST BE CIVIL...

NFCU Review

I received an account with the Navy Federal Credit union through my father who worked in the Navy. I am able to have accounts there was superior interest rates as well as choices in government bonds and other various savings accounts. It has been the primary account used for banking and so far the family has been extremely satisfied with it. Customer service is extremely quick. Most of all, it's relationship to the government ensures that it will be reliable.

Navy Federal review

First off, banks figure out ways to nickel and dime you for their bottom line. In general, Credit Unions do not. Specific to Navy Federal...I signed up with them when I was in the Navy. They have always been incredibly competitive on rates with other CU's, and they flat out kill the rates at banks. We learned this as my wife worked at a bank and her 'employee rates' were worse than NFCU. As for the negative rev... view moreiews...something doesn't quite add up. I've never personally talked with a service member or vet who could not get a manners hip there. I have referred dozens of them that direction and each has had no issues at all.

Navy FCU Opens Enrollment Doors To Coast Guard

Welcome, Coast Guard!

Coast Guard, we are proud and excited to have the opportunity to serve you and your family. We would be honored to have members of the Coast Guard join Navy Federal and take advantage of all that we have to offer, such as:

·         24/7 live telephone support

·         Over 220 branches worldwide

·         Over 50,000 free ATMs

·         Mobile Banking,* including Mobile Deposits

If you are regularly employed by the Coast Guard—Active Duty or Civilian personnel—please click here to join Navy Federal or contact us with any questions that you have about membership.

Refer an eligible Coast Guard member for membership, and you'll each get $25!
Download the form, fill it out, and take it to your nearest branch, or call 1-888-842-6328

Navy Federal Credit Union: Welcome, Coast Guard!

This Needs To Be ZERO Stars. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE!!!!!!!

According to the recent Customer Service Rep that I just spoke to today, they can contact third parties in order to contact me. Actually that is not true. Georgia State Law clearly states that they CAN NOT contact any third parties.

On top of this they dont seem to want to call me about my credit card payments until 7 or 8 pm at night, when I am spending time with my family. RUDE!!!!!!! I have asked them several times not to contact be after 5 pm, and they still violate my request. They are also extremely rude in the customer service ascpect of this business. They also have been known to freeze my other accounts in order to get payment on the credit card account.

I would tell anyone thinking about going with this "great company" to NOT do it. STOP NOW and just slap yourself for even thinking about going with Bank Of America's evil twin.

Hope they enjoy hearing from my lawyer.

NFCU Mortgage Refinance And Escrow Accounts

I've been an NFCU customer since I was 8 years old - I opened my first account with birthday money. In the 33 years since then, I have been a loyal NFCU customer (mortage, car, banking), but my latest interaction with NFCU has left a bad taste in my mouth.

I am currently applying for a mortgage refinance with NFCU, and I have been informed that my existing NFCU mortgage escrow account will be used to pay down my existing loan, and that I am therefore on the hook to pay for the taxes and insurance that would have normally been paid with the escrow money.  I was also informed that it was not possible to roll the existing escrow money from my old mortgage account into the new account.

I have no credit issues, no defaults, no short sales, no liens - the property is as clean as it gets, as is my credit history.

Does anyone else have any experience with NFCU refinance processes ? Is this normal ? It seems to me like I'm paying NFCU for the privilege of using my escrow account to give themselves two extra interest paymnents. Am I better served by refinancing with another financial institution and just getting NFCU to cut me a check for the escrow money ?

TIA for any information.

Awful... Unless You're Rich?

Anyone else noticing the trend here? Two people love NFCU. One of them has financed a bunch of houses through them, and the other one has opened both a Roth IRA and a regular IRA through them. This puts both of them firmly into the highest-5%-of-income category.

Everyone else here, including me, has had awful experiences with NFCU.

This doesn't make NFCU any different than any other big bank (most of which are a little indicator on the computer screen of the representative you're talking to that lights up if you have more than $50k of assets in the bank, at which point they're supposed to ACTUALLY help you instead of just getting you off the phone as quickly as possible), but credit unions aren't supposed to be like that.

Navy Federal Credit Union Too Big To Function??

Very impersonal and bureaucratic. Received mailings for two years after closing accounts and matured CD's. Many good Credit Unions to choose from, pass on this one.

Not Bad In Right Circumstances

I've been a member for more about 15 years. Their savings rates aren't incredible, but sometimes they have a promotion for CDs that are worth it. I've also held a few loans with them and used to do all my checking with them.

Navy Fed is the largest credit union in the country - it's really more like dealing with a commercial bank. Their locations were convenient when I was active duty, but now that I don't live near a Navy/Marine Corps base there's not much for me.

I keep my minimum deposit, consider them if I'm looking to refinance my mortgage, and keep an eye out for good promotions. But that's about it. If you're active duty (especially Navy or Marine Corps) or retired near a branch, then it's an attractive option for your primary bank. Otherwise, there are better alternatives.

So Far Great Financial Institution

I switched to NFCU after leaving USAA.

NFCU has had excellent customer service with both me and my family so far. They even dropped like 5% off of my auto loan compared to USAA.

The only downfall I've seen so far is they froze my debit card immediately after I deployed cause i missed 1 car payment.

Until they prove to be failures i will continue to recommend them to my soldiers.

Worst Credit Union

Please don't do any business with them. They discriminate against their own members. I will be moving on to USAA. They will go out of business if they don't change their attitude.

Please think several times before you apply for any kind of loans.

Don't Get Robbed By NFCU.

I have been an account holder at NFCU for about a year now, and everything seemed to be smooth until I got married.

My wife, who has a clean credit history, is not allowed to be a joint holder on my account. She is also not allowed to go through the teller line because of this. And we were never told why. But this is my last concern.

I had 2 cars financed through NFCU. Vehicle 1, is 2 years overpaid and about to be paid off, but NFCU changed my monthly payment to $38.00 against my will (They also will not let me refinance, or pay on principle for this vehicle).

Vehicle 2 was financed through NFCU, then sold while a lien was still on it. The individual who bought it from me had his credit union write a check to NFCU for my asking price, which was well over a grand of what was owed on the car. It took me a month of waiting before I realized that NFCU was not giving me my money. SO, almost every other day I would go to my local branch and ask the status on it. They would simply tell me it was going to go through 3-4 days from that day. I eventually asked for the Manager, and thought that everything was going to be worked out. She told me that my ,"over-payment is in limbo, and if you didn't come in, you never would have been refunded." This was last week...I got a call today from that manager telling me that she will get on it some time tomorrow.

If you want a credit union that will give you what they owe, be kind and courteous, and honest...Then look elsewhere. As soon as Vehicle 1 is payed off, I am finished with the thievery of Navy Fed. I am going to USAA.

Great Credit Union!

Have been a member since 1969. Have never had the issues that other reviewers have complained about. Of course, I am not late on my payments, I don't overdraw my account, and I don't have ridiculous expectations.

Dont Allow Veterans

I just called about membership and was told that me being a veteran was basically useless for joining this joke of a bank. Way to support the vets losers.

To Tucker's Comment....USAA Is NO Better

USAA is no better!!! They don't go out of their way to help. They seem like they would, but making it inconvenient is more like it!!!

Best Financial Institution Ever

I have been a Navy Federal Credit Union member for 30 years. They are outstanding in every way, from excellent rates on savings and credit cards to processing money transfers, IRA deposits, investment advisors, etc.

Only USAA approaches Navy Federal in service, reliability, and efficiency, but they don't quite match it.

I don't do business with Commercial Banks anymore - don't trust them. Navy Federal I trust, as does my whole family. We've never been disappointed.

I Got A Great Car Loan

I got a car loan with low credit, I'm happy I got this 2008 Honda Accord.

Great For The Almost 40 Years I Have Been A Member.

They are great and to the person that said they discriminate against disabled vets, they do not. I am one. You DO have to join while you are active,just like all vets do unless they work for the DOD as civilians. That is in no way discrimination. It would be discrimination to let someone join after getting out, and others not be able to.

Been With Them Since I Was 15, Now Am 27

Been with Navy Federal since I was a kid. Seem to always be in the ball park of best auto loan rates and have never had a problem with unfair charges or account lockouts or anything like that.

As far as the wounded veteran comment, If you were a member of Navy Federal you can still be a member even after you are out. Just because you are not Active duty or retired does not mean you cannot be a member. Sounds like comments from competing banks. Love NFCU.

Nothing But Good Things

I've had NFCU since 2003 and I have nothing but good things to say. They have always been prompt and friendly when I have needed assistance. The nearest branch is a four hour drive away yet they have made it entirely possible to bank with them.

Last Friday (1/27/12), my wife and I closed on a new home utilizing NFCU as the lender. The experience was excellent and they were able to expedite the paperwork and have it completed and ready for signature within a three week period. The VA appraisal pushed the window out to four weeks.

The only thing I can really say to NFCU after these last few years is Thank You!

Very Different Experience

I see from the other reviews that my spouse and I have had a very different experience with Navy Federal than the other posters. We have had zero problems with our online accounts. We don't have a problem with the one way bank transfers, it really curbs us from spending what is in our other credit union account. And when we purchased our new truck, Navy Federal gave us a substantially better deal than the Wells Fargo loan through the dealership. Hubby stopped in to the local Navy Federal office, talked to a representative and had the switch made. As to rude employees, I don't know where the other poster's locations are, but I have had nothing but pleasant employees in the three locations we have lived while in the navy. Didn't matter if it was a teller, a loan representative or the greeter person when you first walk in. So I'm not sure why these other people are having such a bad experience with Navy Federal, but we have been extremely happy with the level of service during our 16 1/2 years in the navy.

Terrible Mortgage Department

I will no longer be doing business with Navy Federal. They quote a low rates until you pay for the application. Then it gets jacked up.

Never Again Navy Fed!!!

My husband and I both have Navy FED. I will never use them again for anything! Once our car and credit card are payed off with them I will be closing all accounts and ties with them!! They will take money out of one or the others account to put it in the over drawn account with out any permission or notice! They are rude and disrespectful people. Please be aware of them before you sign your life over to them!!!

NFCU Service

I have been a member of the Navy Federal Credit Union since 1975, and I can't say enough good about them. They have always been there for me.

Lock Your Accounts If Mortgage Payment 18 Days Late, Even If In Escrow

My house is in escrow and Navy Federal locked my accounts from any transfers after only 18 days late. I have made numerous early payments, and extra payments, my credit score is above 800. They don't care that the house is in escrow, they just want the interest payment, in fact they will take it out themselves if the funds are available from your or any other linked family member account!

Don't borrow from them!!!!

The Smart Choice?

I have been a member of Navy Federal Credit Union for a little over 13 years now and I have to say that they are not exactly the most competitive credit union out there. First of all, I have read other reviews stating that Navy Federal will freeze all accounts connected to them in the event that there is a late payment received. I can tell you from my personal experience that it is true. I once paid my credit card a couple of days late, and I was unable to withdraw money from my account. What an inconvenience! Navy Federal Credit Union brags about being one of the biggest credit unions in America. Well, big deal! I have experienced better credit card services from USAA. I would highly recommend USAA banking over that of Navy Federal Credit Union. I will soon be switching to USAA myself. The customer service reps at Navy Federal are friendly; however, it is not enough to keep me as a customer. I hope this helps someone in making a decision on what is best for their money.

Love Navy Federal!

I've had an account with Navy Federal for almost 10 years now. They're available by phone 24hrs a day, and the wait time usually isn't too long. The mobile app is easy to use and allows you to make deposits so you don't ever have to visit a branch. You can also use the ATM at any 7-11 for free!

Navy Federal

Navy Federal Credit Union is my favorite credit union because it does everything that I need it to do and more. It has a great app on the app store that I use all the time to transfer my money between accounts. This is so convenient and makes the credit union so much better than a bank. The customer service is great and doesn't make you wait very long and the website and app are easy and intuitive. Overall they are just a great credit union and i would highly recommend them.

best credit union

My experience with this credit union over the past 7 years have been fantastic. They are very friendly and helpful, and they bring the best quality service to their members. In my 7 years of membership, I never suspected any fraud in my accounts, or worried that any funds might go missing.