Deal Summary from BankDealsBlog.com
- Free $100 VISA gift card and Zagat guide
- $100 minimum deposit required
- $100 minimum balance must be maintained for 6 months
- Gift card will be awarded at the end of the 6 months
- Wachovia's Free Checking qualifies
- Account must be opened by July 16, 2007
- Can be opened at a branch or by phone (800-922-4684)
- Only available for those in New York, Maryland, DC and Northern Virginia
- Only available to new customers
Wachovia's Free Checking Account has the basic components of free checking: no minimum balance requirements, no monthly fees, etc. A reader in a previous post mentioned that Wachovia does a hard credit pull (via Experian). According to the banking representative, checks are not free, however, they are optional. You can just use the free debit card and free online BillPay. Checks cost $18 and up based on style and your location. There is a $25 fee if the account is closed before 6 months. In addition to the hard pull, Wachovia also does a ChexSystem verification.
Those in California still have until June 24 for a $125 checking account bonus (see post).
Thanks to the reader who emailed me the info on this deal.
[Update: Added "new customer only" note.]