1. Open and fund a qualifying Citibank regular checking account with $1,000 or more by 4/30/08.
2. Make a direct deposit to or at least two electronic bill payments from your new account each month for three consecutive months.
3. Get your first $100 credited to your new checking account.
4. Continue making a direct deposit or at least two electronic bill payments each month for the next three consecutive months and get an additional $100
Some important promotion details include:
- This offer is not available at Citibank Financial Centers.
- Offer is only available for first-time Citibank deposit account customers, and will be paid only once to any individual. Persons who currently have or at any time have had a deposit account at Citibank, N.A. (or any of its predecessor banks) are not eligible.
- The EZ Checking does not qualify. Only the "Citibank Account" qualifies along with two other checking packages that require higher balances.
The Citibank Account package requires a minimum combined balance of $6,000 to avoid a monthly fee, a $0.50 per check fee and a $1.50 fee for each withdrawal from non-Citibank ATMs. The combined balance can include balances in the savings and money market accounts. At least you'll earn some interest with money in Citi's savings account. The current yield on the Ultimate Savings Account is 2.75% APY.
Below is the rest of the small print:
Open and fund a regular checking account in the Citibank Account (online or by phone), Citibank Everything Counts or Citigold (by phone) relationship package with a minimum initial deposit of $1000 by 4/30/08 using offer code CYAN.
Starting no later than the calendar month after the month in which your account was opened, make a direct deposit to or at least two electronic bill payments from your new account each month for three consecutive months. $100 will be credited into your new checking account within 120 days from the end of the statement period in which you met the qualifying requirements.
If you qualify to receive the initial $100 credit, and you continue making a direct deposit or at least two electronic bill payments each month for the next three consecutive months, you will be eligible to receive an additional $100. The additional $100 will be credited to your Citibank checking account within 120 days from the end of the statement period in which you met all of the above requirements.
Electronic bill payments, are those you make using Citibank® Online, Citi Mobile(SM) or Citiphone Banking, excluding bill payments made to Citibank credit cards and transfer payments made to accounts with Citibank or its affiliates.
Your checking account must be in good standing at the time a bonus payment is credited. All accounts are subject to approval. Customer must be a citizen or resident alien of the United States (US) with a valid US taxpayer identification number. Taxes, if any, are the customer's responsibility. Offer may be modified or withdrawn at any time without notice and is not transferable.
Another Citibank Promotion:
There's also an offer in which you can earn 2 round-trip airline tickets. Here's the promotional page link, and here are the steps required for this one:
1. Open a Citibank regular checking account, link it to a new Citibank Ultimate Savings Account, and complete qualifying banking activities.
2. Deposit $25,000 or more into your Citibank Ultimate Savings Account, fund your checking account with $1,000 and enroll it in ThankYou Network.
3. Get your 2 round-trip tickets to anywhere in the continental U.S. (up to a $400 value each) by redeeming your 40,000 ThankYou Points.
To apply by phone, call 1-888-214-0018 and mention code: CP74
This one ends May 16, 2008.
Some important notes regarding Citibank checking accounts:
- In December a reader reported being told that Citibank has a new policy in which they only do a ChexSystem check with no hard credit pull when there is no overdraft protection. In the past I had a hard pull for opening Citibank accounts, and many others have also reported this.
- Restrictive online funds transfer service in which outgoing external transfers are limited to a daily limit of $2,000 (was $5K) and a monthly limit of $10,000 (see Citi webpage)
- Several readers reported having their accounts closed by Citibank for unclear reasons before receiving bonuses.
I signed up for a similar $200 Citibank promo in 2006. I received the first $100 promptly, but I didn't automatically receive the second $100. I had to send them a bank mail message. They investigated and credited the second $100 in about a month. I know several readers haven't been as fortunate.
Thanks to the reader who mentioned this new checking promotion in the comments.