Update 1/2/2011: The top rate has fallen to 2.25% APY.
North Carolina Bank and Trust is offering a reward checking account called Mad Money Checking. The account offers the following features if certain monthly requirements are met:
- 2.25% APY on balances up to $25,000
- 0.05% APY on balances over $25,000
- 0.05% base rate if qualifications are not met
The monthly requirements include:
- 10 debit card purchases
- one direct deposit or automatic draft
- receive e-statements
Additional features of the account regardless of the monthly requirements include:
- $50 minimum initial deposit
- no minimum balance requirement
- free bill pay
- All foreign ATM fees are paid for you (see bottom of branch locator page)
It appears a branch visit is required to open an account. Branches are located in Charlotte, North Carolina.
North Carolina Bank and Trust is a division of SCBT N.A. which has been FDIC insured since 1934 (FDIC Certificate # 13425).
Other Reward Checking Accounts
To find reward checking accounts in other areas of the nation or to learn more about these accounts, please refer to my High Yield Checking website.
- 01/01/11: 2.25% APY up to $25K
- 04/10/09: 4.25% APY up to $25K; 0.05% over; 0.05% base