Update 5/14/2011: The rate has fallen to 3.01% APY for balances up to $15K
First National Community Bank is offering a rewards checking account called Wise Rewards Checking. The account offers the following rates and features if certain monthly requirements are met:
- 3.01% APY on balances up to $15,000
- 1.01% APY on balances over $15,000
- 0.15% base rate if qualifications are not met
- unlimited nationwide ATM fee refunds
The monthly requirements include:
- 10 Visa debit card purchases
- one direct deposit or automatic payment
- receive e-statements
Additional features of the account regardless of the monthly requirements include:
- $0 minimum initial deposit
- No minimum balance requirement
- No monthly service charge
- Multiple accounts can be opened, but requirements must be met for each to receive the top rate
There's an online application, but it appears that a branch visit is required to complete the application process. Branches are located in the Wisconsin cities of New Richmond, Hudson and Somerset which are just east of St. Paul, Minnesota.
The bank has been FDIC insured since 1934 (FDIC Certificate # 5357).
Other Reward Checking Accounts
To find reward checking accounts in other areas of the nation or to learn more about these accounts, please refer to my High Yield Checking website.
- 04/30/11: 3.01% APY up to $15K
- 07/01/10: 3.51% APY up to $25K
- 06/01/09: 4.02% APY up to $25K
- 04/21/09: 5.01% APY up to $25K; 1.01% over; 0.15% base rate