National City is offering a $150 Visa Gift Card in a checking account promotion. The offer doesn't seem to be listed at National City's website. They've been sending out flyers with this promotion, and it was mentioned in this SlickDeals thread. The offer code is DM1109657496, and the offer expires 11/27/2009. Here are the requirements to receive the $150 Gift Card:
- Open a Free Checking Plus account by 11/27/2009
- Set up direct deposit of your entire paycheck (of at least $400) into your account within the first 60 days
- Get a National City Visa CheckCard and make at least 10 purchases within the first 60 days
This promotion does exist. To be eligible, you will need to apply through this chat and with approval, make the opening deposit at your local National City branch.
You can also apply using the online application, but the CSR said you'll only be able to get an instant decision on the application via the secure online chat. I would assume it would be similar if you call.
Some important details related to the Free Checking Plus Account include:
- $50 minimum opening balance
- Requires monthly automatic activity (direct deposit, online bill payment or ACH payment)
- Without automatic monthly activity, converted to Free Checking ($12 free for transfer)
- No maintenance fees
- Free checks
- No charges for use of non-National City ATMs (other bank may charge)
This promo appears to only be available in areas where National City has branches that have not yet been converted to PNC branches. National City has branches in FL, IL, IN, KY, MI, MO, OH, PA and WI.
$100 PNC Bonus
For those who don't live in National City's market area, PNC still has a $100 bonus for opening its Virtual Wallet Account. Refer to my bonus review for more details.
National City Branch Conversions
PNC finished the closing of its acquisition of National City on December 31, 2008. Conversion of National City branches into PNC branches were scheduled to start the second half of 2009. According to this Indy Star article, conversion of Florida and Pennsylvania branches are scheduled for November. Indiana branches are scheduled for conversion next summer.