Update 3/16/2010: There's a new promotions page which lists a new expiration date of 3/19/2010. Also, this page specifically mentions which states qualify: "Offer available to online applicants only in Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Florida."
Huntington National Bank is offering a $100 checking account bonus. There's a link at their home page to www.huntington.com/100bucks/ Offer expires February 27, 2010 (see above). The free checking qualifies, and it can be opened online. Here are the details after you open the account:
- Set up an automatic direct deposit to the new account with the first deposit occurring within 60 days of account opening OR make 5 or more Check Card purchases within the first 60 days of account opening.
- Bonus will be deposited to the new checking account within 90 days of account opening
- Bonus is considered interest and will be reported on IRS Form 1099-INT.
- An Early Account Closing Fee will apply to accounts closed within 180 days of opening.
- Bank reserves the right to limit one gift incentive per household.
On the first page of the online application it states:
Note: All applicants must be U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents and at least 18 years of age. For Permanent Residents, your Resident Alien Card or Green Card Number is required. These are individual and joint accounts only and are not available to California residents, trusts or businesses.
Credit for this find goes to this FW thread. One important note in the thread is to beware of the dormant account fee which can hit after 6 months.
Huntington still offers an online savings account but the rates are low. I first reported on this in February 2007.
Huntington Bank is headquartered in Ohio with branches in Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia. The bank is a FDIC member (FDIC Certificate # 6560).