Home Federal Bank is offering a high-yield reward checking account called the Ultimate Checking. It has the following rates and features if certain monthly requirements are met:
- 3.01% APY on balances up to $25,000
- 0.85% APY on portion of balance over $25,000
- 0.05% base rate if requirements are not met
- Refund of domestic ATM fees up to $3 per item (maximum $20 per month)
Monthly requirements include:
- 12 signature based VISA check card purchases
- 1 direct deposit into or one auto debit
- Enroll and receive e-statements (with paper statements canceled)
Other features of the account include:
- $50 minimum opening deposit
- No minimum balance requirement
- No monthly service fees
$100 Sign-Up Bonus until 3/31/2010
At the bottom of the bank's micro-website, there's a link to a $100 promotions page. To qualify for the $100 bonus, you must open a new account by 3/31/2010 at any of the bank's branches. The bonus will automatically be credited to your account within 10 business days. Credit to iBankDesign for this find.
It's rare to see new-account bonuses on reward checking accounts. But the rate is a tad low for reward checking, so for those who care more about the rate, it may not be worth it.
Branches in ID and OR
There's an online application, but the application at the bank's micro-website implies that you have to come in to a branch to complete the application process. Branches are located in several cities in Idaho and Oregon including the cities of Boise, Idaho and Redmond, Oregon.
The bank's ratings for safety and soundness are strong: 4 stars (excellent) at BauerFinancial and 4 stars (sound) at Bankrate.com. Both ratings are based on 9/30/09 financial data. The bank has been a FDIC member since 1936 (FDIC Certificate # 28258).