Heritage Bank of the South is offering a high-yield reward checking account called Performance Plus Checking. The account has the following rates and features if certain monthly requirements are met:
- 3.50% APY on balances up to $25,000
- 0.51% APY on portion of balance over $25,000
- 0.10% base rate if requirements are not met
- Automatic refunds of ATM fees nationwide
The above rates are listed in the bank's checking page as of 5/27/2010. Monthly requirements include:
- 12 debit card purchases
- 1 direct deposit or ACH auto debit
- Receive electronic statements
Additional features of the account include:
- $100 minimum initial deposit
- No monthly service charge
- No minimum balance requirement
- If you do not meet the requirements in 3 consecutive qualifying cycles, your account will be converted to a Regular Checking account
It appears that a branch visit is required to open an account. Branches are located in the Georgia cities of Albany, Sylvester, Reidsville, Collins, Adel, Baxley, Hazlehurst and Statesboro. Branches are also located in the Florida cities of Ocala and Lake City.
The bank's ratings for safety and soundness are a little mixed: 4 stars (excellent) at BauerFinancial, 2 stars (below peer group) at Bankrate.com and an overall health score of 3 out of 5 at DepositAccounts.com (see our Heritage Bank of the South rates and reviews page). All ratings are based on 12/31/09 financial data. The bank has been a FDIC member since 2001 (FDIC Certificate # 50028).
Other High-Yield Reward Checking Accounts
Please refer to the reward checking section of DepositAccounts.com to find reward checking accounts in your state or that are available nationwide.