Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

New Online Banking Threat May Signal Your Computer Has A Virus

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - 4:00 PM
From Clark Howard's show notes:
A pop-up window appears requiring additional authentication when you log in to do some online banking. Is it friend or foe? You need to be extra careful -- even at your own bank's website!

Read more
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,468 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,029
1. Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - 6:23 PM
The article mentions Chase giving the warning, which explains why yesterday Chase suddenly required retrieving a passcode they would email iin order to proceed accessing an account.
ekatekat75 posts since
Jan 22, 2010
Rep Points: 246
2. Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - 8:31 PM
I log on to Chase daily and was not required to retrieve a passcode when I logged on yesterday morning, this morning, or just a few moments ago. 
pearlbrownpearlbrown1,431 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 6,248
3. Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - 11:41 PM
Funny, email code has been required for my acct for months now.
RicochetRicochet132 posts since
Jan 19, 2010
Rep Points: 362
4. Thursday, July 26, 2012 - 12:24 AM
How...curious... I didn't question the procedure, because it didn't ask for personal information - only that I had to check my email on file to retrieve the passcode they sent. It's a familiar verification procedure, for example, as when setting up and verifying bill pay on a new account. 

However, thanks PB - your post prompted me to change my password, then bank mail Chase for verification and any other information as to why. I called as well, and the csr confirmed they had sent an id code yesterday.  However, the email states I requested it, which I didn't. So I'll forward it to abuse@chase.com, which is what the csr suggested whenever there's a questionable email.

The csr said the procedure is done when they do not recognize the computer tyring to log in. When I explained it was the same one, she said if I deleted all the cookies, then they likely didn't recognize it.  I don't mind extra security, as long as it's legit. But I constantly delete cookies and such, yet this was the first time for this procedure, without anything different on my end.  I'm glad they verified it, but it's still disturbing....

Thanks Ken and Pearl.
ekatekat75 posts since
Jan 22, 2010
5. Thursday, July 26, 2012 - 12:28 AM
Thanks Ricochet - that's reassuring.
ekatekat75 posts since
Jan 22, 2010
6. Thursday, July 26, 2012 - 10:06 AM
I will however note that very time I log on I never give permisson to recognize my computer and always delete all cookies. I have to either pick a phone number or email request to obtain the code entry. usually pick phone delivery as the phone rings Immediatly with the code.
RicochetRicochet132 posts since
Jan 19, 2010
Rep Points: 362