Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

I Need To Find A Bank That Will Hold Accounts In The Name Of A Revocable Trust

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - 10:06 AM
I have contacted a handful of banks with favorable interest rates on savings accounts (I am helping a relative who's looking for complete liquidity), but so far I've only found one (UFB Direct) that will allow the account to be held in the name of her trust.  We've opened and funded an account there.

I would rather not have all of her money in one place, so I'm seeking a second bank.  I am having a difficult time finding a "high return" bank that will hold the account in the name of her trust.  

I do not wish to make her trust the beneficiary of the account, because in that case if she becomes incapacitated the money would be inaccessible unless and until she died.  The money's useless to her in that case.  I also don't want to hold the account jointly with her or have power of attorney, since I don't want to create any illusion of impropriety that I'm "after her money".  I just want to help her.

Any suggestions on where to open another account?  The only two criteria are a (relatively) good return on liquid savings, and an account that can be held in the name of her trust.

TIA.
JcvosJcvos1 posts since
Jul 24, 2012
Rep Points: 3
1. Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - 2:29 PM
According to ING DIRECT's Q&A:
You can register your Electric Orange, Orange Savings Account or Orange CD in the name of a Revocable Living Trust.

The ING DIRECT accounts don't have the best rates, but they do have a history of remaining fairly competitive over the long run. If you plan to hold a large balance in the account, the Electric Orange checking would actually be the best account. It has yields higher than the Orange savings account for balances over $50K. Currently, the Electric Orange account pays 0.85% APY for balances of $50K to under $100K and 0.90% APY for balances of $100K and above.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,469 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,077