Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

A New Medicare Strategy

Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 8:47 AM
From the Wall Street Journal:
Many people are paying more than they should for coverage, are in plans that restrict their choices or have inadvertently neglected to enroll in supplemental and prescription-drug plans.

Read more
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,472 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,708
1. Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 9:05 AM
Did I overlook something?  What is the "New Medicare Strategy"?  The article seems to just remind us to check all our options concerning Medicare coverage and additional add-on plans.  It can't tell us how to do it because that is an individual thing.  I still would like to read an article actually explaining how Medicare (without the Advantage or Medigap plans) pays for example a doctor's office visit.  I was once told we pay about 20% of the entire cost but that means we have no idea how much the bill will be until we get it.  Have you seen what some of the doctors bill Medicare for an office visit before it is taken apart by Medicare and becomes the contracted price.  Do we pay 20% of the "contracted" price or the scary "before the contract" price?  At least with the Advantage plans etc. we know what our copay is at all times and there are no unexpected surprises.  I tried to get a Medicare rep to explain the above to me but she seemed more confused than I was. 
paoli2paoli21,406 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,152