Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Phone Scam: Your Computer Is Spreading A Virus

Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 11:06 AM
I'm constantly getting these scam calls. I hope no one is falling for it. This blog post at Give Me Back My Credit has a good overview of the scam:
A scam designed to gain access to your computer, steal your identity, drain your bank accounts and use your credit card information is making the rounds. This one seems to be a take-off from a similar scam highlighted here in an earlier fraud alert warning of a telemarketing scam that involves callers claiming to be from "Microsoft Tech Support" offering help to consumers who need to remove a virus from their computer.

Read more
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,468 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,029
1. Friday, September 7, 2012 - 8:23 PM
Got a call like that, too. The caller told me Microsoft detected a virus in my computer and that he called to help me fix the problem. But I knew right away that he was bluffing. Why wouldn't I? I don't have a Windows computer. I got a mac. I don't think Microsoft woud ever call about macs.

So I would just like to add this warning. That scammer was certainly very deceiving. He sounded professional and he had this certain authority in his voice that would make you believe he's telling you the truth. Had I not realized he was a scammer and if my computer used Windows, I might have allowed him access to my computer and accepted his offer to "help."

I think it helps to be skeptical at all times. 
YvonneYvonne2 posts since
Sep 7, 2012
Rep Points: 7
2. Friday, September 7, 2012 - 8:54 PM
By the way, the scammer used the number 800-698-9034. So be aware. I have also reported this number to http://www.callercenter.com to raise a warning. 
YvonneYvonne2 posts since
Sep 7, 2012
Rep Points: 7
3. Saturday, September 8, 2012 - 11:59 PM
RicochetRicochet132 posts since
Jan 19, 2010
Rep Points: 362