Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Making Your Retirement Assets Last

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - 6:17 AM
From the Wall Street Journal
It’s a retiree’s nightmare: outliving the assets in a retirement portfolio.

Between historically low interest rates dragging on fixed-income yields and uncertainties about taxes, not to mention the threat of future inflation and volatile markets that send skittish investors seeking shelter, retirees who are living longer are finding it challenging to keep their portfolios up to speed.

Read more
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,467 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 124,996
1. Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - 8:14 AM
As an overview, it's pretty fair. I might have expected a discussion on SWRs as part of the piece, but anybody who's in or near retirement should be familiar with SWRs. Tons of threads on retirement management over at Bogleheads forum, might I add.
BozoBozo137 posts since
Feb 14, 2011
Rep Points: 937
2. Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - 8:33 AM
I would not be so concerned with any retiree outliving their savings considering all the stress we are coping with just trying to survive these days.  Stress can cause aneurysms, heart attacks, seizures, cancer, and a multiple of other stuff to take us all out way before our 90's.   People who live to be 90 or either stuck in beds in nursing homes or living on a farm just talking to their cows and goats.  City people can drop young just reading the internet or watching the news on tv.  I'm only still alive out of just spite!   I also want to see if our nation is stupid enough to give our prez another 4 years to throw us into even more financial turmoil.  On that note, I think I will take my meds and see if I can survive another day. 
paoli2paoli21,365 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,982
3. Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - 11:02 AM
For young people here is an arithmetic formula for retirement planning for the new normal:  

1. Figure out your life expectancy, e.g. X = 80 years.  
2. Figure out when you may retire, e.g., Y = 65 years of age. 
3. Figure out when you start your career, e.g. Z = 25 years of age.  
4. Take X - Y, divide by Y - Z. 15/40 = 37.5%.  
5. The ratio in point 4 is the amount of salary you have to set aside to fund your retirement. That's right, for average people in the new normal, you have to save 37.5% of your salary, not 4% not 10% not even 20%.  
6. Invest the money in something that is completely inflation-proof.  

I am not an investment advisor. Read this for your entertainment value.
ShorebreakShorebreak2,601 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,078