Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to General Discussion

ID Theft Prevention Tip: Don't Hold Up Your Medicare ID Card To TV Cameras

Friday, September 7, 2012 - 7:20 AM
From CBS News:
in the midst of former President Bill Clinton's speech at the Democratic National Convention, the camera cut away to an audience member holding up what is a familiar sight for the roughly 50 million Americans who participate in Medicare -- a Medicare ID card.

Read more
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,442 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 123,743
1. Friday, September 7, 2012 - 8:44 AM
One moment of enthusiasm, a lifetime of anxiety and regrets. 
pearlbrownpearlbrown1,356 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 5,955
2. Friday, September 7, 2012 - 7:05 PM
When I saw her doing it, I was thinking: wtf are you doing? Haven't you heard of ID theft? Ever? What a dumb ****...
darkdreamer4udarkdreamer4u174 posts since
Jun 11, 2010
Rep Points: 630
3. Saturday, September 8, 2012 - 10:20 AM
I, unfortunately, missed Clinton's appearance in the Convention so I did not see the action of the Medicare waving not so bright person.  Since our Medicare cards are very small, was her social security number actually able to be recognized?  Sometimes when people get caught up in the hoopalala of the Convention, they can tend to do things without thinking of the consequences.  Just hope her SS number was not able to be discerned by the cameras.  BTW  I just read another article on this and it says her SS number was able to be seen.  She really needs to take some action now to protect herself from identity theft.
paoli2paoli21,146 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,113
4. Saturday, September 8, 2012 - 12:20 PM
I actually recorded the speech on my DVR (did that for both the RNC and DNC since I'm a morning person). When I first watched Clinton's speech, I saw a close-up of a woman waving some card, but I didn't know what it was. It was actually after the time Clinton was talking about Medicare and during the time he was talking about welfare reform. I then re-watched that portion of the speech this morning, and I paused the DVR when they got to that woman waiving the card. It was a close-up of the card, but the woman was waiving it back and forth. However, when I paused the recording, I was able to see her full name and what appeared to be a social security number.

She should probably do a credit freeze. According to Clark Howard, that's one of the best and least expensive ways to deal with ID theft before damage is done.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,442 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 123,743
5. Tuesday, February 26, 2013 - 11:51 AM
Here is also some important points to protect your identity from theft:

•    Don’t carry your Social Security card or any document(s) with your SSN on it.

•    Don’t give a business your SSN just because they ask. Give it only when required.

•    Protect your financial information.

•    Check your credit report at least every 12 months.

•    Secure personal information in your home.

•    Protect your personal computers by using firewalls, anti-spam/virus software, update security patches, and change passwords for Internet accounts.

•    Don’t give personal information over the phone, through the mail or on the Internet unless you have initiated the contact or you are sure you know who you are dealing with.
martinezrichardmartinezrichard6 posts since
Feb 26, 2013
Rep Points: 8
6. Friday, April 26, 2013 - 4:58 AM
Always go to great lengths in protecting your personal and financial information, get a copy of your credit reports regularly and thoroughly check the transactions listed in them. Be wary of keyloggers and malicious codes which enter your computer and steal your information; thus, always protect your systems by installing antivirus software. Lastly, do not give your information to people who pose as bank representatives especially if they are trying to obtain your information over the phone or the internet. 
amyjk5amyjk520 posts since
Mar 29, 2013
Rep Points: 25