Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Best Method To Deposit Cash Into Your Internet Bank Account?

Friday, September 7, 2012 - 7:23 AM
In April I reviewed some ways you can deposit cash into your online bank account. Unlike checks, you can't mail cash for deposit. This blog post at The Finance Buff describes the benefits of using an ATM that can accept cash. These ATMs also make it easy to deposit checks. That's one benefit of having a bank or credit union that participates in a large ATM network with these new ATMs. The post mentioned Alliant Credit Union as being one of these institutions.

As I mentioned in my April blog post, depositing cash or checks into an ATM always worries me. If the ATM gets jammed when you feed it your bills, it can be a hassle to resolve the issue.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,468 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,018
1. Friday, September 7, 2012 - 8:33 AM
I have never used ATMs to deposit money.  I hand it to a teller, not a machine, and I know the amount of the deposit beforehand.  I have them count it in my presence (or confirm the amount if they used a machine to count it) to make sure all is in order.  It's hard to dispute a deposit amount with an inanimate object. 

pearlbrownpearlbrown1,431 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 6,247
2. Saturday, September 8, 2012 - 10:09 AM
Pearl:  I don't even have an atm card for the same reasons.  I like to be facing a human when they are counting out my money and also when I recount it before I leave the bank.  The manager told me if an error is made I have to report it before leaving the bank.  Once I leave the bank, they are not responsible.  Sooooo where does that leave customers if the atm makes an error and the bank is closed?  Nope!  I will take a few more steps and just go inside every time and do everything with an employee face to face.
paoli2paoli21,365 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,984