Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Is This Gold Rally For Real?

Sunday, September 9, 2012 - 10:35 AM
From Smart Money
Gold rallied sharply on Friday morning, approaching $1,750 an ounce, on the heels of a disappointing employment report and new bond-buying program in Europe. But how long before the yellow metal goes dull again?

Read more

Article mentioned getting exposure to gold through diversified funds. One fund mentioned was the "Permanent Portfolio (PRPFX), which invests 20% in gold but also allocates 35% to U.S. Treasury securities and other dollar-based investments that could do well if gold suffers."

Some resources on the Permanent Portfolio:
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,468 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,018
1. Monday, September 10, 2012 - 8:42 AM
About 42% of my retirement portfolio is in the Permanent Portfolio (PRPFX). It has had a good long-term record; in fact, I think that it is the top fund in the "conservative allocation fund" category (though it is more volatile than other funds in that category, probably because of the large position in gold). Besides the gold and the treasuries, it also has holdings in Swiss francs and dividend stocks. I realize that the fund is intended to be a single, buy-and-hold investment, but I've been keeping my position in it in the 40-50 percent range. Even with its record, I still don't want to put all my "eggs" in one "basket."
WilWil242 posts since
Feb 26, 2010
Rep Points: 1,281