Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Were The Bidens Rate Chasers?

Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 5:02 AM
I recently came across this July Kiplinger article on the personal finances of Obama and Biden. This was based on their May financial disclosures, and the article was focused on personal finance lessons that could be learned.

I found Vice-President Biden's portfolio most interesting. He and his wife have 9 checking and savings accounts and 2 CDs. I wonder if these include reward checking or internet savings accounts? Perhaps they had been rate chasers? When those CDs mature and they look into renewing them, I hope they take note of the very low interest rates. Excerpts from the article:
The couple have nine checking and savings accounts at no less than six financial institutions. The bulk of the accounts have between $1,000 and $15,000 on deposit, and each earns less than $200 in annual interest, says Wilson. In addition, the couple own two certificates of deposit, worth between $100,000 and $200,000, on which they're earning between 2% and 5%, according to the disclosure statements.

Ken TuminKen Tumin5,471 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,600
1. Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 10:25 AM
Doesn't this seem like small amounts for people like the Bidens?.  This must only be his US savings accounts.  I wonder what he has in any "out of the country" accounts.  That would be interesting since they are making such a brew haha over Romney's Offshore accounts.  I would love to see what their entire portfolio looks like.
paoli2paoli21,398 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,127
2. Friday, September 28, 2012 - 9:32 AM
Can't find out where the majority of the Romney's money is invested because  when aked by the reporting officials the funds refused to comply saying the nature of their investments was confidential and proprietary. AGAIN THOSE WITH THE GOLD RULE!!! This information was in the Kiplinger article on Romney.
Ally6770Ally6770930 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,704
3. Friday, September 28, 2012 - 10:11 AM
I read the Kiplinger's article on Romney and I thought Romney gave more info than others do.  How much more do we have to know about his investments?  Is he not allowed to have anything confidential?  What if he losses the election and all of his investment info will have become known?  I don't think he should have to give anything else unless he wins.  This has nothing to do with any Gold Rule.  His opponents are just trying to dig up anything they can to make him look deceitful, imo.  I think he has given enough.
paoli2paoli21,398 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,127