Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Can Google's New Chromebook Help With Online Banking?

Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 3:56 PM
The release of the new Google Chromebook had me thinking that this might be useful for online banking.

If you have a business bank account, you have to be extra careful with online banking since regulations don't require banks to reimburse you for money lost due to hackers. Regulations provide protection to consumer accounts, but not business accounts. Because of this, Clark Howard has recommended that small business owners buy a dedicated computer that's only used for online banking. When I heard news today of Google's new Chromebook, this had me thinking that it could be useful for online banking.

First, it's inexpensive. The current price is only $249.

Second, it has built-in security. According to Google, "Chromebooks have multiple layers of security to keep you safe from viruses and malware." Hackers often exploit holes in old software versions. The new Chromebook shouldn't have this issue. According to Google, "With automatic updates, Chromebooks download security and software upgrades so you don’t have to." Of course nothing is 100% safe. Hopefully, Google has designed this system to be as close to 100% as possible.

With the built-in security, you might not need to make it a dedicated computer for online banking.

One concern that I have about Chromebook is that some bank websites don't work well for non-IE browsers (those that are not Internet Explorer like Chrome or Firefox).
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,469 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,077