Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

The UK: Care Bills Will Soak Up Most Of Our Savings

Saturday, November 3, 2012 - 8:27 AM
In the UK a rising number of elderly people face losing “almost all of their wealth” to pay for social care, after the Government admitted it was “unable to commit” to reforming the system. Is this a situation coming soon to our shores?

Care bills will soak up most of our savings - Telegraph
ShorebreakShorebreak2,622 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,212
1. Saturday, November 3, 2012 - 8:54 AM
My pet preeve has actually hit Britain.  These elderly are not being cared for imo.   They are artificially being forced to stay alive and bankrupting their nations.  Why don't they call "nursing homes" what they really are?  The new modern coffins for the elderly except they are quite more expensive than any coffin I priced!  Most of the elderly who have to go in them would probably beg to not have to if they still had the ability to let "their" wishes be known.  Next life I want to return as a dog or cat so I can get compassionate care and not be forced to spend years in a nursing home begging for it all to end!  Just my thoughts on the subject.  Have a nice day.
paoli2paoli21,372 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,011
2. Saturday, November 3, 2012 - 9:08 AM
Japan’s way of caring for elderly

"Why is the cost so reasonable compared to the total amount spent in the U.S.? The Japanese regard care for the frail elderly in the same way as we look at day care for children -- a necessary convenience. "Ours is so expensive because it is thought of as a health care issue. The Japanese don't look at it that way,"

Read more: Japan’s way of caring for elderly « Bankrate, Inc.
ShorebreakShorebreak2,622 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,212
3. Saturday, November 3, 2012 - 9:30 AM
Maybe the Japanese have a one size fits all.  In the US most people are transferred to nursing homes from hospitals because they have medical or mental conditions (dementia) and relatives can't cope with them.  They are sent to either a Skilled or Unskilled Nursing Home according to their medical needs.  I think the Japanese having a small tax to help pay for this is a great idea and something for the US to consider.  Long term care is prohibitive for most so this would be a great way to know loved ones can get care without bankrupting themselves or families.  I cannot see how we can ever get the deficit down unless we find a way to cope with the elderly nursing home expenses.
paoli2paoli21,372 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,011