Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Interesting Online Petitions Receiving Media Attention

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 - 10:36 AM
In the news today, I heard about some interesting online petitions:

One is a Texas secession petition that was submitted to WhiteHouse.gov and has recently reached the 25,000-signature threshold that's needed to qualify for an official White House response. It now has over 97,000 signatures. You can read about it at Huffington Post.

The other interesting petition is intended to change Target's mind about opening its stores at 8:00pm on Thanksgiving. As you can read in this US News article, many stores are taking heat from employees about moving Black Friday hours into Thursday. The petition currently has over 200,000 signatures.

I doubt these petitions will have any concrete effects, but they do raise awareness of issues. Too bad we couldn't get the same support for our "fair interest rates" petition.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,471 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,634
1. Wednesday, November 14, 2012 - 11:12 AM
Regarding the petitions calling for secession, two related points are noted in this other Huffington Post article:
  • The Republican governors of several of the states in question (including Texas, Tennessee, and Alabama), have clearly expressed their opposition to these secession petitions.
  • Counter-petitions have also been filed with the White House website, calling for the individuals who have signed these secession petitions to be stripped of their US citizenship and exiled.
ClickClackClickClack25 posts since
Feb 7, 2012
Rep Points: 168
2. Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 5:22 PM
Here's another frivolous petition that got nationwide attention and a response from the Whitehouse:

WaPo: White House rejects ‘Death Star’ petition

I'm surprised that the petition was able to get the required signatures for a reply. As we learned with the "fair interest rate" petition, it's not easy to get a lot of signatures. Perhaps we needed more marketing pizzazz.

At first I was wondering why the Whitehouse would waste time with a reply, but after reading the Whitehouse reply, I see they turned it into an educational overview of the space program. And due to the frivolous nature, it's getting a lot of press.

The Republicans should take advantage of this and accuse the Whitehouse of not building a 'Death Star' but a 'Debt Star'.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,471 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,634