Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to Financial News

Read 'Um And Weep

Sunday, November 18, 2012 - 5:29 PM
The following list of financial books appears to be a
decent reference for readers of assorted levels of
expertise.  Courtesy of The Finance Buff.

Don't be shy about chiming in with your own personal
favorite.
cumuluscumulus297 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 1,374
1. Sunday, November 18, 2012 - 5:54 PM
Thanks, a pretty complete set of financial books, read a lot of those myself.

Two I enjoyed the most: (1) The Intelligent Investor (well, it is a tough read, but a must read bible in investment). (2) The Only Investment Guide You will Ever Need (well written with common sense, simplicity, and wisdom).

I read both of Bernstein's books but did not get much to help my own ivestmnet strategy.

Tow other books I like are (1) Contrarian Investment Strategies (David Dreman), (2) Rational Investing in Irrational Times (Larry Swedroe). 

I read most of Bogle-like books that promote index investing (Common Sense ... by Bogle himself, Random Walk... and Bogleheads).  I found them to be broken records... boring and useless.

51hh51hh1,462 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,352
2. Sunday, November 18, 2012 - 9:05 PM
For the financial history bucket (recent history), I recommend Sheila Bair's new book, Bull by the Horns: Fighting to Save Main Street from Wall Street and Wall Street from Itself
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,442 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 123,754
3. Monday, November 19, 2012 - 9:15 AM
51hh:  "I read both of Bernstein's books but did not get much to help my own ivestmnet strategy."

I agree with you and think you hit the nail on the head.  I went through a period many years ago when I devoured practically every investment book or magazine I could find.  Then fortunately in the city I lived in they had weekly free financial seminars where we could hear speakers and pick up written info.  I attended every one I could.  I dabbled in certain other investments but narrowed it down to what was best for "our" purposes and be able to attain our goal. I decided it was CDs.  However even with CDs one has to put forth the time and energy to get the highest rates at all times because History proves nothing stays the same.

Once I made my choice of how to reach my goal, I knew it meant sticking to a strict regime and never getting off course.  Saving is not something you do now and then.  It must be as regular as brushing your teeth.  I set aside budgets for Savings, Emergencies, Travel (twice a year), and Special Purchases.  Special Purchases were for things like a new car which we would only buy if we could pay cash for it.  I do not believe in paying interest for anything!  My goal was what worked best for us.  That is why everyone has to decide what works best for them.  Reading basic info in Investment books  can teach one about investments you do not want to use or maybe ones you will want.  My way may be too strigent for many so this is why I refer to it as "my" way.  The secret to financial success (if one is married) is making sure "ahead" of time that both of you are dedicated to the system.
paoli2paoli21,149 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,128
4. Monday, November 19, 2012 - 1:09 PM
Paoli2: I share your view.  One can not believe eveyrthing the books tell one.  The books do not replace one's own endeavor to find one's investment comfort level as well as tailored investment strategy.
Jan 16, 2010
5. Monday, November 19, 2012 - 6:20 PM
Can someone tell me what the "Rep Points" are for?  Does it have anything to do with our posts?  I noticed Ken has tons of points but can't figure out why.   It seems the posters who have been here longest have the most. Thanks for any info. 
Aug 10, 2011
6. Monday, November 19, 2012 - 9:40 PM
Can someone tell me what the "Rep Points" are for?  Does it have anything to do with our posts?  I noticed Ken has tons of points but can't figure out why.   It seems the posters who have been here longest have the most. Thanks for any info. 

It means very little; just the accumulative votes over the poster's entire history.  Ken got tons of points for being the "chief" who initiated/oversee this site/forum:D  No doubt, he is the top contributor to this site/forum.

At one point, my Rep Points got reduced significantly for no reasons (must be a technical glitch).  Anyhow, I pay very little attention to things like that.:-)

Jan 16, 2010
7. Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 7:41 AM
51hh:  Thanks for the reply and info.  I thought maybe the one with highest got a freebie off of McDonald's Dollar Menu :).  
Aug 10, 2011
8. Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 2:47 PM
Paoli2, about Rep Points, 51hh's explanation is quite good. I provided a few more details in this new thread.

51hh, Sorry about that Rep Point reduction. I think it was due to some software glitches.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,442 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 123,754
9. Sunday, August 11, 2013 - 7:44 PM
From Ally Straight Talk guest blogger Liz Weston comes an
additional list of common sense oriented books on personal
finance.
cumuluscumulus297 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 1,374