Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

ING DIRECT Customer Caught In Debit Card Fraud Gray Zone

Friday, December 7, 2012 - 5:29 AMING DIRECT - Details
From the Consumerist
Most cases of ID theft and credit/debit card fraud involve the thief going whole-hog on the victim’s account, spending as much as they can in a very short period of time. But what happens when that fraudulent activity isn’t enough to set off alarm bells at the bank?

Read more

It wasn't easy, but the ING DIRECT customer was able to get a refund for the fraudulent purchases. This shows why it's important to carefully track your debit card purchases.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,468 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,029
1. Friday, December 7, 2012 - 6:26 AM
It's very important to track purchases made with a debit card and to act promptly as soon as irregular activity is detected.  In addition to filing the disputes, I hope they changed the PIN on the fiance's card once they noticed the transactions were all PIN-based using his card. 
pearlbrownpearlbrown1,431 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 6,248
2. Friday, December 7, 2012 - 11:53 PM
While I have never even activated my ING debit card, I am very discouraged over their inability and/or unwillingness to resolve this before the media got involved.

More people need to know & understand the risks of using a debit card.

I ALMOST never use them except for my needed 24 rewards account transactions.

Credit cards offer more protection and usually offer better cashback deals too.

Shame on ING/Capital One.

When my identity was stolen 12+ years ago, a handful of places simply took my word for it and only ONE required a signed, but not notartized letter.

Since then, I guess Ive had 3-4 credit cards compromised. Usually, the banks know before me and call & ask me about it. One time, I caught it before the bank.

But in each instance, they never required ANYTHING in writing from me.

Im pretty careful with my cards & numbers so I tried to dig in & figure out HOW it happened and the banks pretty much told me to not waste my time, that chances are I didnt do anything wrong or risky.

All that said, I had my hair cut by a lady who works debit card fraud at a local bank. Said the majority of their claims are customers trying to get out of paying for valid charges.
RJMRJM72 posts since
Jan 21, 2011
Rep Points: 404