Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to Financial News

Massive Bank Cyberattack Planned

Thursday, December 13, 2012 - 4:46 PM
From CNNMoney.com
Security firm McAfee on Thursday released a report warning that a massive cyberattack on 30 U.S. banks has been planned, with the goal of stealing millions of dollars from consumers' bank accounts.

Read more

Note, this planned cyberattack is different than the recent distributed denial-of-service attacks (DoS). This new planned cyberattack is going after customer accounts.

Make sure to review your accounts regularly for any suspicious activity.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,441 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 123,675
1. Thursday, December 13, 2012 - 5:35 PM
I just listened to a CNN report about this very same cyberattack on 30 US banks being planned for the Spring.  What I would like to know is if this can include CD accounts you have in banks?  Can a hacker get money out of a CD we have with a bank or is this mainly going after savings type accounts?  I cannot access my bank accounts with several of my banks so I wonder if these accounts are safe?  They also mentioned on the report that the hackers are going after people with lots of money.  Does anyone know what "lots of money" means to hackers?  If this just a hack on the accounts of millionaires and the really wealthy people?    If savers have their money spread around in several different banks and/or credit unions, wouldn't this make them less likely to be targeted?  As if we didn't have enough to be concerned about, now we have hackers planning to go after what people have spent years accumulating! 

If anyone knows where I can read more info about this, I would appreciate your sharing the info.  Thanks!
paoli2paoli21,140 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,083
2. Thursday, December 13, 2012 - 7:41 PM
It sure would be nice if a list of the "threatened 30 banks" were published somewhere.
ShorebreakShorebreak2,367 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 12,600
3. Thursday, December 13, 2012 - 8:24 PM
Shorebreak:  I did a search on this on Google and brought up several articles on it.  Some of the articles actually listed some of the banks, brokerages, and cus.  I was concerned to see that Fidelity Brokerage was the brokerage they are supposed to be going after and Navy Federal Credit Union and Chase Bank, PNC seems to be on the list.  I had so many I did not think to safe them all but if I have time tomorrow and can find the one with several of the places listed, I'll try to post the link.  If you want to find some of the places, Goggle will bring them up for you.  Many of the institutions listed are ones I do business with so I hope to contact them to see what steps they are taking to protect accounts.  I did not see Vanguard listed any place so if you come across it, I would appreciate knowing if it is one of the 30 also.  Thanks!
Aug 10, 2011
4. Thursday, December 13, 2012 - 8:30 PM
Shorebreak:  This is one of the articles I was referring to above:

http://www.businessinsider.com/major-cyberattack-could-hit-30-banks-2012-12

I do not know how to post it as a link but I hope this helps.
Aug 10, 2011
5. Thursday, December 13, 2012 - 8:49 PM
Paoli2

> ...I do not know how to post it as a link but...
>
To create a link, highlight the text that you want to turn into a link
with your mouse.  Once highlighted, the link symbol in the area right
above the text box should then be clickable. Once you click on the link
symbol, a pop-up box will open where you can enter the URL.  Good luck.
cumuluscumulus297 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 1,370
6. Friday, December 14, 2012 - 11:21 AM
Cumulus:  Thank you so much for trying to help me but my computer doesn't have a text box or anything that has a popup box which open where I can enter the URL.  I have places where I can enter URL that I already know and can get to them but I am trying to do it where posters can click on a URL I post on here like I see other people do.  I guess the only way is for them to just copy and paste whatever I post into their URL box and access it from there.  Thanks anyway.
Aug 10, 2011