Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Credit Card Rewards

Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 10:42 AM
Credit Card Rewards That Are Right for You - WSJ.com

A bit out-dated, but still useful information from WSJ.

My current favorites:

American Express Preferred (5% on Grocery/Gas/Drugstore); annual fee is $75.  Recent change: now there is a $6K annual limit; but many were grandfathered till card expiration date in 2013.

Citi Forward (5% TYP on restaurants, movies, books, and music).

51hh51hh1,476 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,426
1. Monday, December 24, 2012 - 9:32 AM
My best rewards deal for 2012 was the Citizens Bank 10% deal.  I'm almost sure Ken posted about this deal a while back.  It was a great deal.  I did the CC as a subset of the bank's "5-5-5" deal.  Still have the little CD paying 5% apy;  free money all the way around.  Free money is good!

What I especially like about the CC rewards deals is that there is no income tax of any kind.  Sweet.

Gift card availability makes all these CC rewards deals even more attractive.  Ya gotta be careful, though.  There is prudence in restraint, and value in keeping a low profile.
KaightKaight24 posts since
Dec 5, 2011
Rep Points: 602
2. Monday, December 24, 2012 - 10:53 AM
My best rewards deal for 2012 was the Citizens Bank 10% deal.  I'm almost sure Ken posted about this deal a while back.  It was a great deal.  I did the CC as a subset of the bank's "5-5-5" deal.  Still have the little CD paying 5% apy;  free money all the way around.  Free money is good!

What I especially like about the CC rewards deals is that there is no income tax of any kind.  Sweet.

Gift card availability makes all these CC rewards deals even more attractive.  Ya gotta be careful, though.  There is prudence in restraint, and value in keeping a low profile.

Yeah, did four iterations with Citizens 10% MC, still collecting $300 residual CB per month:D  But that deal was gone with the wind.

The only issue I had was the Citizens was very reluctant/late in releasing available funds for churning.

51hh51hh1,476 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,426