Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

What Happens If Your Bank Account Is Hacked?

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 5:29 AM
Article at Forbes provides a few useful tips. Here's one of them for logging into your online bank accounts:
It’s best to disable the “remember your computer” feature. It’s a little bit of a pain, but it’s much more secure

Read more

Another tip not mentioned in the article is to avoid sharing usernames and passwords between sites. You especially shouldn't share passwords between banks and non-bank sites.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,469 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,077
1. Monday, January 21, 2013 - 8:36 AM
This part about disabling the icon to save passwords is very important.  I will have to figure out how to disable mine.  I was shocked this week when I just clicked on a financial webpage I use and found that my ID and password were already in the login and all I had to do was just click one time and all of my personal info opened up!  This is not the way I thought it was supposed to do and I think it has something to do with the fact that I stupidly did the "Save my password" thing.  I will check all my financial pages I use today to see if I can disable or undo that problem.  Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
paoli2paoli21,372 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,011
2. Monday, January 21, 2013 - 8:51 AM
Paoli2, try deleting cookies on your PC to eliminate the "save my password" automatic filling in of your personal info. This site may help
pearlbrownpearlbrown1,433 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 6,255
3. Monday, January 21, 2013 - 9:27 AM
Pearl:  Thanks so much for the link.  I wrote it down and deleted cookies for financial pages and now it does not do an automatic login.  I was concerned once I deleted cookies I would not be able to access sites again but it gives me a chance to start over correctly.  Much appreciation for your help, as usual.
paoli2paoli21,372 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,011