Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to Credit Cards

Why Young Americans Are Shunning Credit

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 7:44 AM
Auriemma Consulting Group says younger consumers (defined as those 35 and under) are leaving the credit cards at home and have successfully weaned themselves off pricey plastic purchases. If they do make a big purchase, Auriemma says, younger buyers use debit cards and pay off the purchase immediately.

Why Young Americans Are Shunning Credit | Credit Center | Get the best rates on mortgage, home equity loans, CD, money markets and checking accounts | BankingMyWay
ShorebreakShorebreak2,365 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 12,597
1. Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 8:01 AM
Why don't they just use credit cards and pay the balance in full every month? Debit cards simply don't have the same level of consumer protection as credit cards, and I suspect restoring funds debited by fraud would be more difficult, and more "dangerous" if the account has overdraft.
WilWil242 posts since
Feb 26, 2010
Rep Points: 1,281
2. Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 8:11 AM
Re: Wil @ 1. Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 8:01 AM

"Why don't they just use credit cards and pay the balance in full every month?"

I suppose they are afraid of having no self-control and will go on a spending spree.
ShorebreakShorebreak2,365 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 12,597
3. Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 8:40 AM
Kudos to them for at least paying off the balance in full each month - that is a huge step forward. 
pearlbrownpearlbrown1,356 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 5,955
4. Friday, January 25, 2013 - 4:00 PM
Did anyone else hear the news this evening about the charges for using credit cards actually going to effect this coming  week?  I think we discussed this not too long ago but no one knew when or if it would be enacted.  I am still confused as to actually what the fees would be for using a credit card instead of cash.  They also said debit cards would also have the same fee unless people used their Pin and clicked "debit".  If they clicked "credit" it would go through as a credit card even though they were pulling funds out of their own bank account.  I don't use debit cards but my DD does and I would like to know more about this to explain it to her.  I found out that the fee will be 4% extra.   I got an email tonight and a link for the news report if anyone wants to hear it:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2119641363001/new-credit-card-surcharge-to-take-effect/?playlist_id=86929"
paoli2paoli21,140 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,083