Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Lies We Tell Ourselves About Retirement

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 10:03 AM
From US News and World Report via Yahoo Finance:
We may not want to admit it, but our own beliefs are often the biggest obstacle in the journey to financial freedom. Sometimes our own behaviors make it more difficult for us to achieve a financially secure retirement. Here are a few lies you may be telling yourself that are preventing you from reaching a comfortable retirement:

Read more

The first lie, "Everybody works until full retirement age" is a biggie.  People tend to ignore that a significant number of retirees are forced into that status by factors outside their control such as poor health, disability, or - increasingly - economic conditions.  We don'talways have the luxury of choosing when to begin retirement.  
pearlbrownpearlbrown1,431 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 6,247
1. Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 11:04 AM
Great point, people plan and work crazily to prepare/accumulate for retirement like there is no tomorrow.  One of my friends were like that, working two high-paying (with high demand) jobs day and night and was very rich.  Then he got lung cancer at early 60s and regreted at his death bed that he never got to enjoy life/family with all his riches.  It was a huge wake-up call for me.
51hh51hh1,476 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,426
2. Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 12:23 PM
Great point, people plan and work crazily to prepare/accumulate for retirement like there is no tomorrow. 

Rhett,  I think you meant to say people work like there are unlimited tomorrows....
StewieStewie56 posts since
Jan 18, 2010
Rep Points: 318
3. Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 4:02 PM
Great point, people plan and work crazily to prepare/accumulate for retirement like there is no tomorrow. 

Rhett,  I think you meant to say people work like there are unlimited tomorrows....

Yes and no to that.  As if no tomorrow means working crazily day and night.  Unlimited tomorrows indicate planning without factoring in life uncertainty (loss of jobs, loss of health, etc.).  Great to see you, Stewie!  Cheers.

51hh51hh1,476 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,426