Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to General Questions/Other

Bank Of America Website Has Been Down Since 10Am ET

Friday, February 1, 2013 - 1:29 PMBank of America - Details
I was at a branch at 11:15 ET today and immediately after her greeting, the teller apologized and told me she might not be able to complete the transaction because their servers had been going up and down for the last hour.  

Just tried logging on a few moments ago and got this message: 

Our site is temporarily unavailable. We know your banking is important and appreciate your patience.

Can we help you find other ways to access your account?
  • Go to a Bank of America ATM—get recent account activity and balance information, make transfers between Bank of America accounts or pay your Bank of America credit card
  • Visit a banking center—we can help you with any banking need

The greeting from a CSR at the 1-800 number was "Thank you for calling Bank of America, please call back in an hour".  She stated server problems were the reason, and that there was no estimated time for resolution.

Sometimes a server outage is just a server outage, but given the number of hacker attacks that have been disclosed lately, it's suspicious to me that two big FIs have prolonged server outages in the same week. 

pearlbrownpearlbrown1,356 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 5,955
1. Friday, February 1, 2013 - 1:53 PM
Thanks, same here in Mass.
51hh51hh1,460 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,348
2. Friday, February 1, 2013 - 6:53 PM
Work-around (from flyingdelphin of FWF):

Go to "Site Map"
State Selector
And click on the "Sign In" link at the upper right of the page.
51hh51hh1,460 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,348
3. Friday, February 1, 2013 - 8:00 PM
Thanks 51hh, I'm still seeing the same message but the workaround did the trick. 
Nov 2, 2010
4. Sunday, February 3, 2013 - 6:41 AM
Bank of America's website problems made the news, AP: Bank of America's online banking crashes

BofA is staying quiet about the cause of the outage.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,441 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 123,664
5. Thursday, February 7, 2013 - 11:32 AM
FYI - something may be going on (still / again?). 

The login page looked different a few moments ago, and the following information appears when you click on "Why does this look different?":   "We’ve made a temporary change to the way you sign in, but Online Banking is available. When you sign in, look for your SiteKey and other security features your normally use."

The next window then said:  "Online Banking is available. When you continue, you may notice that some pages take longer to load. Thank you for your patience."

I didn't notice a difference in the time to load the account summary or to drill down to individual accounts. 
Nov 2, 2010