Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Postal Service Discontinues Saturday Delivery

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 - 9:37 AM
From NBC News:
It's been debated for months and months, but on Wednesday the United States Postal Service finally will announce it's not going to deliver first-class mail on Saturdays anymore.

The postal service's announcement, planned for about 10 a.m. EST, is expected to say that packages, mail-order medicine, and express mail will continue to be delivered on Saturday, but not letters, bills, cards, and catalogs. Post offices which are now open on Saturdays will continue to be open on Saturdays.

Read more

If you rely on the Postal System for your financial transactions (paying bills by check, etc) this will affect you.

Edited @ 0946 to add:  per my local Post Office, this change is effective Mon 8/5.  Mail will continue to be delivered uninterrupted to Post Office boxes.  However, there will be no street delivery of mail, catalogs, etc on Saturdays.  Street delivery of packages, mail-order medicine, and express mail will continue on Saturdays.
pearlbrownpearlbrown1,431 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 6,248
1. Wednesday, February 6, 2013 - 11:08 AM
Postage has been increased every quarter or so; however, service is reduced (like discontinuing Saturday delivery) regularly.

What is wrong with this picture?  :D
51hh51hh1,476 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,426
2. Wednesday, February 6, 2013 - 11:25 AM
I think it just shows that the post office is more bankrupt than we know.  I think less services are coming for the future.
paoli2paoli21,367 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,992
3. Wednesday, February 6, 2013 - 11:42 AM
51hh, I think it's the same trend that now has us paying the same/higher prices for reduced sizes of items (orange juice, dishwashing detergent, sliced cheese, ice cream, etc) in the same packaging as before, so that only eagle-eyed consumers notice.  The rule of thumb now appears to be:  Pay more for less!

In this case, the PO is openly raising prices but steadily and slowly.  That's the "how you boil a frog" approach.

Actually I'm surprised that they can unilaterally decide to reduce service without approval from Congress.  Although, given the speed at which Congress moves, perhaps they have taken the tack of "it is better to seek forgiveness than to ask permission" =)     But if Congress does not go along, that would just make the situation worse due to lost credibility and further appearance of poor management.  The nature of the business is changing (due to the influence of Email, social media) and they are also having to meet the rising cost of funding future retirees' healthcare benefits, so they are getting pressure at every turn. 
Nov 2, 2010
4. Wednesday, February 6, 2013 - 4:26 PM
By chance, saw my Postmaster this afternoon and asked why the announcement of reduced service had been made before securing approval from Congress.  The answer:  technically the PO is continuing to deliver mail 6 days / week, even if the items being delivered on Saturday are just selected pieces.  Therefore,Congressional approval for the change is not needed.   
Nov 2, 2010
5. Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 11:02 AM
Technically, Congressional approval for the change was not needed, according to my Postmaster.  However, Congress certainly pushed back. 

From MarketWatch:
The U.S. Postal Service said Wednesday it has given up on its plan to end Saturday service after encountering resistance from Congress. "Although disappointed with this Congressional action, the board will follow the law and has directed the Postal Service to delay implementation of its new delivery schedule until legislation is passed that provides the Postal Service with the authority to implement a financially appropriate and responsible delivery schedule," the Postal Service said...

Read more

The USPS will not be ending Saturday service after all. 
Nov 2, 2010