Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

NAVY FCU Increases Rate To 3.50%

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 - 6:41 PMNavy Federal Credit Union - Details
Dear Readers,

NAVY FCU has increased the rate for "Special Easy Start" certificate to 3.50% ...

For the poster who thought the rate of 3% was a "joke", the rate of 3.50% is a little better joke! :-)

http://www.depositaccounts.com/blog/cant-join-a-credit-union-blame-its-field-of-membership.html

Yours Truly,
Anonymous
ytytytytytyt8 posts since
Jan 28, 2013
Rep Points: 93
1. Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 11:41 AM
To me that is just a teaser rate since it is only for 12 months.  I checked the rest of their rates and they are still low.  Give me 3.50% for 5 years and I will be yodeling!
paoli2paoli21,400 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,132
2. Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 11:50 AM
Dear paoli2,

Of course you are free not to take-up this offer, and not yodel.  :-)

As I've pointed out earlier, this sort of hight rate is available with NAVY FCU year-after-year ... easily more than 5 years and counting.  So ... to me this "Easy Start Certificate" is an offer by NAVY FCU that is more-or-less a prepetual hight rate - that most of the times surpasses what's available for a 5 years Certificate/CD.

Yours Truly,
Anonymous
Jan 28, 2013
3. Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 11:59 AM
Direct deposit (payroll/social security) is a complicated requirement.  Do you know whether the ACH will suffice?
51hh51hh1,476 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,427
4. Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 12:17 PM
Dear 51hh,

My salary gets deposited into Navy FCU's checking, so I never inquired if they will consider an ACH same as a "direct deposit".  My guess is that they will accommodate it, but you might want to ask them.

I guess that an ACH originating from USAA's Brokerage (not checking) going into checking at Navy FCU perhaps will be considered a "direct deposit".

Yours Truly,
Anonymous
Jan 28, 2013
5. Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 1:30 PM
Yt:  I think you are quite misinformed on Navy's Easy Start Certificate.  We are members with them and I just got off the phone for "just in case" you were correct which you are not in this case.  You need to read the "conditions" which go with that 3.50% one year rate.  It is given only for a maximum of $3,000.00 .   If you want to renew at maturity and they have another "Special" being offered it can only be per person (as I was told) and the higher rate usually always has a low maximum to it.  If you have 25M to buy a CD only 3M of that can go for the 3.50% and the the rest of the 22M will have to take the going one year rate which now is approx. .90% for that amount.  You can't just keep renewing each year for the Special at the higher rate for large amounts.  I do not want to fool with any CD that is only going to give me 3.50% for just $3,000.00 and only one year.  It is not worth "yoeling" about imo.

Calling it a "perpetual rate" is very misleading even for you.  It also has direct deposits and other inclusions connected with getting that higher rate.  Read the "Conditions" before you bother correcting someone.
Aug 10, 2011
6. Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 1:49 PM
My Dear paoli2,

Yawn ...

Did you bother to read the details at link I gave earlier? ... No?

Yours Truly,
Anonymous
Jan 28, 2013
7. Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 2:31 PM
My not so dear YT:  I did read the link and the details are agreeing with what the Navy FCU rep explained to me over the phone today.  "Double Yawn!"  You are completely disregarding the fact about the $3,000.00 limit and nothing states one can even get that small amount for the higher rate after one year.  He said they don't always have the specials so when maturity date comes around you have to take the "prevailing" rate at that time.  If you like .85% go have a feast with your deposits.  I not only read details, I call the banks and credit unions when I want to understand something "accurately".  Isn't that the way it is supposed to be done.....No???
Aug 10, 2011
8. Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 2:47 PM
My Dear paoli2,

Typical "paoli2". 

Go to the top of this tread and see if you are able to locate any URL that is for "depositaccounts.com".  If you locate it, then browse it and read my posts over there.  Do you see soemthing over there that already addresses what you are rehasing here? .... Yawn ...

Got something new to post that is not already covered elsewhere? (I mean other than your usual nonsense.)

Yours Truly,
Anonymous
Jan 28, 2013
9. Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 3:32 PM
YT:  I have something NEW!  Why don't you take reading lessons or get a job so you won't have to waste YOUR precious time responding to my OLD posts?  You just don't like the fact that I am stating what Navy FCU really is doing with their CDs.   I don't care about your nonsense posts, I care about what really are the rules with Navy FCU!
Aug 10, 2011
10. Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 5:00 PM
My Dear paoli2,

Yawn ... As I already told you, feel free not to use Navy FCU if you are finding the rules to be onerous.

And ... feel free to stop posting nonsense if that's not too onerous!  ;-)

Yours Truly,
Anonymous
Jan 28, 2013
11. Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 7:02 PM
YT:   Double Yawn!  I do business with Navy Federal and hope to continue as long as their rates are what I am seeking.  I did not have a problem with the rules.  YOU were just misunderstanding them and I was nice enough to help you get the correct info.  No thanks needed.

If you think my posts are nonsense, why do you so eagerly look for them and respond?  Would not that make your posts even more wasteful.  Try staying on topic if you possibly can even if it is rare for you to do so. 
Aug 10, 2011
12. Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 9:57 PM
Can we get along?:D

Both of you seem to be nice persons and are making valid points. 

Cheers.
51hh51hh1,476 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,427