Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to Credit Scores, Debt and Loans

5 Places Where You Should Never Give Your Social Security Number

Saturday, March 30, 2013 - 9:43 AM
This credit.com article has a useful warning about giving out your social security number:
The moral to these horror stories is that if your Social Security number is stored on any computer anywhere, hackers will find a way to access it, or a compromised or disgruntled employee may well walk out the door with it. If your doctor, gym, or child’s grade school claims otherwise, that their security systems can protect your private data better than the CIA, FBI and Scotland Yard, to quote Monty Python: “Run away!”

Read more

It also makes you wonder about the risk of having too many accounts at different banks and credit unions. Each one adds to the risk described above.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,441 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 123,651
1. Friday, May 10, 2013 - 6:15 AM
I totally agree with this. Protecting yourself from identity theft should always start with personal prevention and people should really start questioning those establishments and people who keep asking for their social security number, why. These days, it is better to be annoyingly inquisitive than to easily fall victims to scammers just because we didn’t ask.
joymalijoymali16 posts since
Apr 6, 2013
Rep Points: 23
2. Saturday, September 21, 2013 - 9:02 AM
Thanks for the additional info about why "not" to automatically give our SS numbers especially to doctors. What is even more confusing is that they always ask for another person who doesn't live with you to contact in an emergency.  After reading the article, I will now tell them to ask this person for our SS numbers if it is absolutely necessary. 
paoli2paoli21,135 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,068
3. Saturday, September 21, 2013 - 11:51 AM
  I'm only joking, but if the grocery store or some other rinky-dink outfit presses you for a SS #

find one from the deceased list at the SS site and use it .

RicochetRicochet131 posts since
Jan 19, 2010
Rep Points: 356
4. Saturday, September 21, 2013 - 12:00 PM
Ricochet:  Does the social security site really list all the numbers of dead people?  Where can I find that page?  Thanks!
paoli2paoli21,135 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,068