Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to Credit Scores, Debt and Loans

Protecting Yourself From Identity Theft

Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 5:55 PM
From USA Today
Not all that long ago, many of us thought we only had to watch our credit cards to avoid identity theft.

[...]

But ID theft scams are all over the map, both in terms of geography and kinds of fraud, according to Federal Trade Commission data.

Read more
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,442 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 123,754
1. Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 6:50 PM
Very informative article but I did not notice anything about people who live in apartments.  If you need a repair the maintenance people have keys and are allowed to enter and do the work even if you aren't at home.  I know they are supposed to be bonded and very trust worthy but it is important to not leave personal information on tables or in places which are easily accessible.  They may be training a new person and we can't always know if the new guy will be as trustworthy as the ones we are used to being alone in our apartment.   I think we should not leave personal papers on tables where they can be easily seen and maybe tempt a worker.   Apartment dwellers need to be concerned about anyone who is alone in their apartment no matter who they are. 
paoli2paoli21,149 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,128
2. Monday, May 13, 2013 - 6:03 AM
That's a good point about keeping personal info out of reach in apartments. In addition to the maintenance people who work for the apartment complex, they often have contractors and inspectors who have to come into apartments, and the apartment staff don't always closely monitor them.

I remember at one of my old apartments, I came back from a jog to find two contractors installing a flood light on my balcony. The door was unlocked and I walked into my apartment without being challenged. So not only could the contractors have stolen something, any stranger could have walked in and stoled something.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,442 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 123,754
3. Monday, May 13, 2013 - 8:27 AM
Ken, what you posted about your old apartment reminded me of something else.  We had a robbery in one of the apartments and whoever did it knew just where the articles would be which were taken.  Many times maintenance people bring in "new" people they are training and I have always wondered if one of these "new" people could have scouted out the apartment and even just mentioned to someone else where things were so they could be taken so fast they were in and out in broad daylight!  The police never found out who the thief was.   It is very important to make sure valuable items are always kept out of sight if one lives in an apartment. 
paoli2paoli21,149 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,128
4. Friday, May 24, 2013 - 4:51 AM
What the others said are so true. Articles about how to prevent id theft are no longer confined to credit card theft as thieves now have more ways to obtain information. People living in apartments should never leave personal and valuable belongings in drawers and cabinets that are unlocked as there may be two or three more people who have access to their rooms. What’s disturbing me also is the fact that some landlords do not inform their tenants before they need to do some work inside the units and do not even bother to send security when they have workers who need to go inside. The best thing to do is to invest in a safe and to make an effort to put everything valuable in there every time people leave.
amyjk5amyjk520 posts since
Mar 29, 2013
Rep Points: 25
5. Friday, July 19, 2013 - 12:28 AM
Yeah, people should really be reminded that, if they are renting apartments, the landlord and other staff have keys they can use to get into the apartment. I really think that before contractors or staff members do work inside a person’s apartment, the landlord should schedule it properly, so that the tenant is aware and is present while the work is being done. 
joymalijoymali16 posts since
Apr 6, 2013
Rep Points: 23