Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to Financial News

Falling Gas Prices Lead Inflation Lower For Second Month

Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 6:09 PM
The April CPI numbers were released today, and the low numbers will encourage the Fed to keep their easy monetary policy. From CNNMoney.com
The Consumer Price Index, a key measure of inflation, fell 0.4% in April, according to the Labor Department. Compared to a year earlier, prices are up only 1.1%, a level of inflation that's considered rather low.

[...]

"With inflation dropping to a two-and-a-half year low and labor markets still soft, the Fed is well-positioned to keep the monetary spigots open in support of the economy," said Jim Baird, partner and chief investment officer for Plante Moran Financial Advisors, in a note.

Read more
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,442 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 123,699
1. Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 6:24 PM

Dear KenBDG,

We employ the FEDs to fight the inlation and un-employment.  Since the inflation is non-existent (or tame) the FEDs can and must focus on fighting the un-employment.

There are tens of thousands of unemployed Americans among us who need all the help they can get find jobs - the loose monetary policy is one such help that FOMC is required to offer.

Yours Truly,
- Anon
In FED I Trust :-)

ytytytyt64 posts since
Feb 28, 2013
Rep Points: 197
2. Friday, May 17, 2013 - 9:48 AM
I get very tired of inflation measurements keep saying inflation is so low. NOTHING I buy is having low inflaiton. Not even these allegedly falling gasoline prices (here in California, they are skyrocketing, up 25¢ a gallon in just the past two weeks!). Housing prices, up in the 30% range for the past year, and never fell all that much like in other parts of the country. Food prices, soaring. Utility prices, soaring. (Even landline phones were deregulated, and in the past three years have gone from $10.50 a month to $25 a month, even though they were making a ton of money at $10.50.) Price of buying a car, up. Tolls showing up on previously toll-free roads.  

Just who the hell is measuring this stuff and not finding any of the massive amounts of price increases across the board?!
me1004me1004343 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,357