Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Government Bonds Around The World Are Getting Destroyed Today

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 5:47 PM
The sell-off in government bonds has gone completely global as concerns over Federal Reserve tapering of monetary stimulus infect the market.

The Government Bond Sell-Off Goes Global - Business Insider
ShorebreakShorebreak2,607 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,123
1. Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 6:14 PM
Good that I never learn how to spell "Bond."
51hh51hh1,476 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,426
2. Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 6:38 PM
Shorebreak,

If you keep posting all this alarming news about the bond market, I'm going to have to ask Paoli2 for some her Mylanta!
WilWil242 posts since
Feb 26, 2010
Rep Points: 1,285
3. Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 7:25 PM
Re: Wil @ 2. Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 6:38 PM

That may result in a worse situation Wil...

"Prolonged or excessive use of Mylanta can result in damage to the kidneys, decreased levels of phosphate in the body, dizziness, and fainting spells. Less serious side effects of Mylanta include nausea, constipation, diarrhea, and headaches . The development of a rash, swelling or itchiness that affects the mouth, tongue, throat, or cheeks, dizziness, and trouble breathing are signs of an allergic reaction and should be treated immediately by a medical professional."
Apr 6, 2010
4. Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 7:33 PM
Re: Wil @ 2. Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 6:38 PM

That may result in a worse situation Wil...

"Prolonged or excessive use of Mylanta can result in damage to the kidneys, decreased levels of phosphate in the body, dizziness, and fainting spells. Less serious side effects of Mylanta include nausea, constipation, diarrhea, and headaches . The development of a rash, swelling or itchiness that affects the mouth, tongue, throat, or cheeks, dizziness, and trouble breathing are signs of an allergic reaction and should be treated immediately by a medical professional."

Shorebreak, thanks for that! Now I can enjoy smoking my cigarettes with a beer or two without having to consider chalky-tasting Mylanta as a better alternative. You spared me from having to literally swallow something unpleasant, and that would have been no fun!

My heart almost skipped a beat when I read your first line. Initially I thought you were going to tell me that the situation with bonds was going to get worse. You are probably going to tell me that next, I bet! I better get my pack, lighter, and ashtray within easy reach in time for your reply. Some Yuengling beer is already in the fridge.

WilWil242 posts since
Feb 26, 2010
5. Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 7:41 PM
Re: Wil @ 4. Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 7:33 PM

I can wait until tomorrow. No sense in overdoing the pessimism.

Yuengling? Are you in PA by chance?
Apr 6, 2010
6. Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 7:42 PM

My frazzled nerves thank you.

"Yuengling? Are you in PA by chance?"

No, New Jersey. But Yuengling is available almost everywhere in NJ. It's my favorite beer - I got turned on to it when I was in college in Scranton, PA.

WilWil242 posts since
Feb 26, 2010
7. Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 7:46 PM

My frazzled nerves thank you.

"Yuengling? Are you in PA by chance?"

No, New Jersey. But Yuengling is available almost everywhere in NJ. It's my favorite beer - I got turned on to it when I was in college in Scranton, PA.

I don't know how this got duplicated.

Maybe Fortuna (Roman goddess of luck) is trying to tell me that it was a point worth repeating? On second thought, it must have been Bacchus.

P.S. I might still have that beer anyway.

WilWil242 posts since
Feb 26, 2010
8. Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 10:03 PM
Re: Wil @ 7. Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 7:46 PM

Sorry, couldn't wait until tomorow.
Apr 6, 2010
9. Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 11:20 PM
Re: Wil @ 7. Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 7:46 PM

Sorry, couldn't wait until tomorow.

Wtf?! Running to the fridge to get the beer and a bottle opener. Placing a cigarette between my lips and lighting up. Taking a long, double-pumping drag and inhaling smoke deep into my lungs. Slowly exhaling billowing clouds . . . Relief! Guzzling down beer from the bottle. Okay, now I'm ready to take a look at your latest ghoulish post!
WilWil242 posts since
Feb 26, 2010
10. Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 7:46 AM
Wil:  I think I'm addicted to cigarettes just reading your last post!  I wonder if one can drink Mylanta and Beer at the same time?

Shorebreak:  Thanks for saving me a doctor copay.  Your explanation of Mylanta side effects just diagnosed ALL my medical problems!  So doc, what do I take instead of Mylanta?  Please don't say Wil's "beer and cigs".  Burgundy meatballs is as far as I can go with alcohol and do you know what cigarettes cost these days?.  That Will must really be doing good with his CDs. :)
paoli2paoli21,368 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,995
11. Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 8:15 AM
Wil:  I think I'm addicted to cigarettes just reading your last post!  I wonder if one can drink Mylanta and Beer at the same time?

So doc, what do i take instead of Mylanta?  Please don't say Wil's "beer and cigs".  Burgundy meatballs is as far as I can go with alcohol and do you know what cigarettes cost these days?.  That Will must really be doing good with his CDs. :)

Actually, I think that I spend more annually on wine than I do on cigarettes. Now, before you start thinking I'm a "wino," my tastes in wine are rather particular, and I normally drink about two glasses a day with dinner. And cigarettes, regardless of cost, are a high priority for the committed smoker, and I'm more hardcore than many (by that I simply mean I'm more resistant to the very idea of quitting, I don't want you thinking I'm chain-smoking all day long!).

Let me tell you a little story. Back when I was still in graduate school, at about 24 years old, I was working two jobs in NYC. I lived in a four-room attic apartment in a three-family house in Newark, NJ where the rent was only $150 per month, utlities included (at the time, apartments that size rented for twice that amount, often without utilities). Yet I was barely earning enough to get by: once, after paying all my bills, and I never got into debt, I was left with about $20 in the bank and about the same amount in cash in my wallet. If, for example, my then 15 yr. old car needed repair at precisely that time or something else like that, I would have been ****ed. Yet I still managed to find the money for my cigarettes (which were about $13 a carton back then). That's how high a priority cigarettes were for me.

So, I know what it's like to have to carefully calculate how far my dollars would go. Fortunately, I was like my mother, who was a master in money management. Savings are important, because they give you a "safety net" for emergencies and the freedom to spend as you see fit with confidence, rather than with anxiety.

WilWil242 posts since
Feb 26, 2010
12. Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 8:30 AM
Wil:  I am still laughing about your last post.  You must be the only "saver" who learned how to save money because of cigarettes!  As they say:  "Whatever floats your boat".   You have proven that there is something positive about smoking.  It helps you learn to save money!  Who would have thunk that?   You sure don't seem like the type of person who gets addicted to anything so you must smoke just because you "like" to.   Next time I go to a financial seminar and they are giving ways to save money, I can now add "learn to smoke!"  It worked for Wil! :)  Take care.
Aug 10, 2011
13. Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 9:23 AM
Paoli: There's more to it than that. I think one of the reasons I started working part-time after school and weekends when I turned 15 was so that I'd have my own money to spend as I pleased, and that included being able to afford smoking every day, at least half-a-pack per day. And I still managed to save enough money that by the time I graduated high school I had about $2,000 saved, so when I was off to the Univ. of Scranton, I never had to worry about having enough spending money (and my parents certainly weren't going to send me "spending money," despite the fact I was saving them 30% off the cost of my tuition by having had a scholarship). Well, in all fairness, at least they let me go out-of-state to the private school of my choice! Graduate school, on the other hand, was entirely on my own . . . I was lucky, I had a graduate assistantship.
WilWil242 posts since
Feb 26, 2010
14. Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 9:49 AM
Wil:  You sure are lucky you were given "brains" with your love of cigs.  Imagine how your life could have been if you were born not so intelligent.  What can I say?  You seem to know how to get what you want in this life.  Good for you!  I'm sure your imported Sri Lanka tea must be nullifying the bad affects of smoking on your body.  (I sure hope so!) 
Aug 10, 2011
15. Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 9:57 AM
Wil:  You sure are lucky you were given "brains" with your love of cigs.  Imagine how your life could have been if you were born not so intelligent.  What can I say?  You seem to know how to get what you want in this life.  Good for you!  I'm sure your imported Sri Lanka tea must be nullifying the bad affects of smoking on your body.  (I sure hope so!) 

Maybe so . . . I'm almost 49, and every time I get a physical examination, last time was just a couple weeks ago, my doctor tells me that my heart and lungs sound "perfect." A recent EKG proved the comment at least so far as my heart is concerned. Though, from what I understand, Shorebreak's green tea would be even better at that, it has more anti-oxidants than black tea. We're straying from talking about deposit accounts, but with the dearth of good deals to share, I guess banter will have to do until conditions improve. Otherwise, this forum would get very quiet, and boring. I suppose that you just can't talk about banking and finance all the time either, no matter how interested we are in it.

P.S. By the way, some good heredity might help too. At almost 49, I have no facial wrinkles at all (got that from Mom's family) and thick, wavy hair (got that from Dad's family), though my salt-and-pepper hair is now mostly "salt." If you were to disregard my gray hair, I would look more like someone going on 39 than on 49!

WilWil242 posts since
Feb 26, 2010
16. Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 10:43 AM
Wil, goodness, looking 39 while going on 49 and being brainy would be every person's dream especially if they had a big bank account to go with it.  But you went and spent all that money on cigs and beer.  What can I say?  At least you take great xrays too!:)   I don't think kidding is against the posting rules so maybe we are ok.  If not, all Ken has to do is let me know where I can find that great CD and you'll get rid of me. 
Aug 10, 2011
17. Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 4:41 PM
Such fun bantor.  I end up chewing a lot of Gaviscon off and on.  I lost a lot of weight and that helped a lot.  Of course staying away from the foods that I shouldn't eat also helps.  Interestingly, none of the Reflux medicines helped.  Probably just as well.  The long-term effects of those is probably worse than OTC Gaviscon.  Running and exercise in general also helps.  My leg is currently injured so harder to run.

Don't let "good tests" fool you into a state of false good health.  A very dear friend of ours was very healthy.  He didn't even smoke.  But had a very rare heart condition (I don't remember exactly) that was never discovered by any tests.  He had a massive heart attack while running.  He did not survive. 
ChrisCDChrisCD70 posts since
Nov 18, 2010
Rep Points: 456
18. Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 5:26 PM
Chris:  Your post reminded me of how even doctors don't always know what is wrong with us.  Years ago our doc was signing up my DP for some pretty stenuous exercises for his "health" and I threw a fit and told him I "felt" he had some undetected heart problems and his dad died early from a heart attack.  The doc got mad at me and accused me of thinking I was a "doctor" and said there was nothing wrong with DP's heart.  I glared at him and told him if he signed that paper and DP did those exercises and had a heart attack or worse I would file suit against him and "he" would be the one that would no longer be a doctor.  I insisted he send DP to a Cardiologist instead.  Well...the cardiologist found four (4) of his arteries clogged and he needed to put in 4 Stents.  He said it was a good thing he had not gone to do those exercises since two of them were 98% clogged!  He has those stents in him to this day.  The other doc and I had a "love/hate" relationship after that.  He loved the fact that he didn't get sued and I hated the fact that he thought I was just being a smart a...s!    When it came time for us to leave the city after Katrina, he told me he was actually going to miss me and our arguments.

The point is that we need to follow our own instincts when it comes to our health and the health of those we care about even if it means taking on the professionals. They are not always right!
Aug 10, 2011
19. Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 8:26 PM
Chris,

Does Gaviscon taste any better than Paoli's Mylanta? Maybe Paoli should switch from Mylanta to Gaviscon, given Shorebreak's "dire" warning that prolonged use of Mylanta may be hazardous to your health. Paoli has already admitted to having all the symptoms, after all (Paoli, just joking . . . only some more of today's banter).

It is saddening to hear about your friend. I knew someone in CT, younger than myself and apparently in good health (and a nonsmoker), who left home one Sunday afternoon to catch up on some work at his office. When it got late and he didn't return, his wife got worried and went to the office. He had died of a massive heart attack, of which there were no warning signs. He was in his late 30s. The sad truth is that life doesn't come with a "warranty." Perhaps anecdotes like these might tell us that the quality of your life, "living" while you're alive, matters more than the length of it.
WilWil242 posts since
Feb 26, 2010
20. Thursday, June 13, 2013 - 8:05 AM
Wil, I describe it as vanilla chalk.  It grows on you.  :O)
ChrisCDChrisCD70 posts since
Nov 18, 2010
Rep Points: 456