Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

European Markets Are Going Gangbusters — Here's What Happened

Thursday, July 4, 2013 - 2:23 PM
Markets are closed in the U.S. for Independence Day.

But they're open in Europe, and they're going nuts.

European central bankers broke new ground to protect their economies from a U.S.-led surge in bond yields, indicating they will keep benchmark interest rates low for longer than investors bet.

European Market Rally Picking Up - Business Insider
ShorebreakShorebreak2,608 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,135
1. Thursday, July 4, 2013 - 2:33 PM
So once again they are doing what is best for the stock markets and not caring what happens to savers who are not in stocks.  Where is the good news about helping "savers" not in stocks?
paoli2paoli21,370 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,004
2. Thursday, July 4, 2013 - 3:11 PM
Re: paoli2 @ 1. Thursday, July 4, 2013 - 2:33 PM

"Where is the good news about helping "savers" not in stocks?"

The "good news" is that they haven't confiscated any of the funds in your accounts yet for bail-outs, like was done in Cypress.

Now, why do you expect anyone to care about savers? Especially those not invested in any shares of company stock.

“The chief business of the American people is business.” - Calvin Coolidge January 17, 1925.
Apr 6, 2010
3. Thursday, July 4, 2013 - 3:50 PM
SB:   "“The chief business of the American people is business.” - Calvin Coolidge January 17, 1925."

Oh!Oh!  And who did Coolidge expect to make his businesses a success by their purchasing?  Not those who were too poor to buy anything!  People save to buy from those so called businesses so don't treat us like second-class citizens who don't count.  Without the money from those who save this country would be in the pits worse than it is.  Don't get me on a rampage.  It is the 4th of July and I am supposed to be happy we broke away from England so let me go eat my hot dogs!
Aug 10, 2011
4. Thursday, July 4, 2013 - 3:57 PM
Here you go paoli2. This will make your 4th of July celebration complete. What are you doing eating "hotdogs"? No wonder you require Mylanta.

The American Revolution was a flop - The Washington Post
Apr 6, 2010
5. Thursday, July 4, 2013 - 5:00 PM
Wowie!  Does this mean I am really British!!  No wonder my DD has a mad passion for everything about Britain.  She's really British!  I can't wait to tell her.  No more worries about the FED, I just have to learn to bad mouth Parliament after a while. :) 

BTW:  They weren't just Hot Dogs, they were Chili and Cheese Dogs.  When I decide to make myself sick, I go all the way and then I find your post Shorebreak to seal the deal! :)  They were delicious and made by special request of my DD.  It's amazing what a mom will do for her DD.  Oh and I almost forgot.  DP loves them too! 
Aug 10, 2011
6. Thursday, July 4, 2013 - 7:54 PM
SB:   "“The chief business of the American people is business.” - Calvin Coolidge January 17, 1925."

Oh!Oh!  And who did Coolidge expect to make his businesses a success by their purchasing?  Not those who were too poor to buy anything!  People save to buy from those so called businesses so don't treat us like second-class citizens who don't count.  Without the money from those who save this country would be in the pits worse than it is.  Don't get me on a rampage.  It is the 4th of July and I am supposed to be happy we broke away from England so let me go eat my hot dogs!

Actually, Calvin Coolidge was a very good president. I think you would have liked him, Paoli, but while I realize you're a senior, even you wouldn't have been around when he was president! Coolidge believed that free markets, limited government, and balanced budgets, were the best means to national prosperity. He restored confidence in the Whilte House following the scandals of the Harding administration by his soft-spoken integrity. Hard to believe that prior to becoming vice-president that he was governor of the state now nicknamed "Taxachusetts."
WilWil242 posts since
Feb 26, 2010
Rep Points: 1,285
7. Thursday, July 4, 2013 - 9:33 PM
Oh this is ending up a great 4th of July.  First Shorebreak has a go at me and now I have Wil calling me a SENIOR!  I am no 20 year old but just because I insinuated I was almost 200 years old does not make me a Senior.  Can't some of you take a joke?   I have news for you.  "I" will never be a "Senior" no matter what age I will be.  Now DP you can call a Senior but me, never.   The secret to being young is in the spirit and the mine and learning how to save money at a young age.    I love old people and am very kind to the elderly.  I just don't ever intend on being one of them.  So Shorebreak, I'll take all the depressing posts about the economy you want to post but just don't ever make the mistake of calling me such names.  My DD would have a fit if she ever saw that on here.  She has always wanted "Cher" for a mom and I always try to give her whatever she wants if I can and when I can.  

BTW, Wil, I probably would not have liked Calvin Coolidge. I have seen photos of him and he would have been much too old looking for my taste.   Find me someone younger please with LOTS of energy!  While you are at it, find me some higher paying CDs!  A girl can't stay gorgeous on 2% CDs for long.  I need some money once in a while for those Chili/Cheese dogs.  :)    Oh dear, the old guy is turning the lights off on me.  Must be "his" bedtime. Have a nice evening folks.  "Happy I Could Have Been British Day!"
Aug 10, 2011
8. Thursday, July 4, 2013 - 9:50 PM
Paoli: At least I didn't call you "Methuselah," but then that would have meant you would have been around for the Battle of Hastings, and Calvin Coolidge would have been a mere youngster by comparison! I didn't realize that "senior" was a label to be avoided. Some of us were actually raised to respect "seniors." But, alas, times then were different (now I'm showing my age!). I, for one, would take a 'well-aged', seasoned, serious statesman such as Calvin Coolidge any day over some flashy, manipulative, 'newest kid on the block' politician such as we have today.

P.S. You really should rethink your desire for "energetic" politicians. The more energy they have, the more likely they are to stick their unwelcome noses into everything that really isn't their business, and predictably make a mess out of everything they touch. And just think about all the money they'll spend in their frenzied chase after every novel idea that comes along with a predictably unforeseen price tag. No, send the politicians out to the golf green, like Dwight Eisenhower, and keep them idle and distracted long enough so as to leave the rest of us alone!
WilWil242 posts since
Feb 26, 2010
Rep Points: 1,285
9. Friday, July 5, 2013 - 8:28 AM
Wil:  Thank goodness  DP turned the lights off on me last night and I didn't see your post until now.  It's morning.  "Methuselah"??  That's what I get for posting to "youngins".  Didn't I also post I love seniors.  Loving them and wanting to be a senior are two different things.  I think I had one too many chili dogs yesterday and it showed up in my post last night.  I want to rescind my politician desires and my thoughts about Calvin.  As much as I hate to agreed with someone who almost "could have" called me Methuselah, I think you are right.  We should insist they stay out on the golf green and stay out of trying to make political decisions they have no idea about.  Don't get all "puffed up" that I am agreeing with you.  It's still early in the morning and I have all day to undo what good I may have done.  Hey, I sound like a politician now.  That seems to be how they live their lives. 

Have a good day and I will try to do Ken a favor and not post as much as possible.  I have other research to do.  CDs can only take up so much of my day.  I also allow DP ten minutes a day on the computer to look up Obituaries so that is time off for me.  (Ok, nosey I know you are wondering "why" he has to do this.  We had to move out of our beloved city and are in another state now so he feels he has to make sure what few friends and relatives we had are still alive.  It's what people do when they don't like to research finances.)

Have a nice day all!
Aug 10, 2011