Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to Budgeting and Taxes

Poll: Just 32% Of Americans Keep A Household Budget

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 6:10 PM
Compare that to a Pew Social Trends poll conducted a few years back. The Pew poll asked, "Do you have a budget to guide your household expenses or don't you rely on a formal budget?" Described in those broader terms, 48 percent of Americans said they kept a budget.

Poll: Just 32% of Americans Keep a Household Budget - DailyFinance
ShorebreakShorebreak2,365 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 12,598
1. Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 7:14 PM
Each year in November and December I review the year's expenses and prepare a month-by-month budget for the coming year. 

There are some expenses over which I have little control (ex.:  property taxes, health insurance).  For the others (example:  groceries, gas) I set a realistic goal and adjust as economic conditions change.  On these, I always have a good snapshot of my progress, since I post my transactions at the end of the day.    If I have to increase my spending in one category I first check to see if I can cut back in another, otherwise I just go ahead and update the plan accordingly.

The plan also also helps me anticipate my cash needs:  for example, my property taxes are included in my budget, but they are not paid until the end of the year, so I don't need the cash available until then. 
pearlbrownpearlbrown1,356 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 5,955
2. Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 7:40 PM
I prepare an annual budget and hopefully stick to it. Unfortunately it's the insurance companies and property taxes that mess it up. Always increases.
ShorebreakShorebreak2,365 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 12,598
3. Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 7:47 PM
For those who don't already have a budget and may want to change that, this article from credit.com describes how to get started. 
pearlbrownpearlbrown1,356 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 5,955
4. Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 9:00 PM
I don't know if what I do fits in the category of "having a budget".  My budget is in my head.  I know how much money we have coming in so I make sure I keep enough in the checking account to cover all autopaid bills and keep a certain amount of cash at home for shopping which I don't want to put on the credit card.  If an unexpected emergency bill arises, I have an account for that but that would not be a regular bugeted item.  My way runs smoothly for me so far so I guess it could be considered a "budget". 
paoli2paoli21,140 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,083