Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Stagflation Is Here: Today's Unspoken Reality

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 - 7:04 AM
Stagflation is a term coined in the '70s. It means high levels of inflation in a stagnant or sputtering economy. Sadly, while unrecognized by today's media and political factions, Stagflation is a reality.

Stagflation Is Here: Today's Unspoken Reality | Business News
ShorebreakShorebreak2,683 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,546
1. Wednesday, August 7, 2013 - 8:10 AM
 If I didn't read some of these posts, I would not know how miserable I was.  All of these terms mean nothing to me as long as I have enough worthless dollars to survive.  I got through years they are talking about "back when" we had such terrible inflation etc. and I had no idea what was going on as long as I got to a certain bank to get a CD with the interest I needed.  That is the bottom line to me and my line doesn't even let these terms have a part in my life.
paoli2paoli21,401 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,135
2. Wednesday, August 7, 2013 - 8:58 AM
Re: paoli2 @ 1. Wednesday, August 7, 2013 - 8:10 AM

Wait until the "Misery Index" starts getting mentioned. (The misery index is an economic indicator, created by economist Arthur Okun, and found by adding the unemployment rate to the inflation rate. It is assumed that both a higher rate of unemployment and a worsening of inflation create economic and social costs for a country.)

If There's No Inflation, Why Are Prices Up So Much?

If There’s No Inflation, Why Are Prices Up So Much? | TIME.com
Apr 6, 2010
3. Wednesday, August 7, 2013 - 9:21 AM
I don't have to wait.  I have my own "Misery Index".  Guess who??  I can turn off Fox News but I can't stop myself from reading your posts.  "Misery loves company" so I guess you have company.  Now you just have to post some "how tos" to better survive when the Misery really hits.  I have done very well so far but nothing lasts forever.  Now I have to go read about what this "Misery Index" is all about.  It's soup for me today!  :)
Aug 10, 2011
4. Wednesday, August 7, 2013 - 9:31 AM
Re: paoli2 @ 3. Wednesday, August 7, 2013 - 9:21 AM

"Misery loves company"?

No. I'm at the "What, me worry?" stage. Someone who can maintain a sense of humor while the world is collapsing around him.
Apr 6, 2010
5. Wednesday, August 7, 2013 - 9:55 AM
Shorebreak:  "No. I'm at the "What, me worry?" stage. Someone who can maintain a sense of humor while the world is collapsing around him."

THAT is creepier than I am!  What can possibly be humorous about world collapse?  I have a sense of humor too but not about such gruesome things.  Guess what?  I don't think you are being serious now so I will just take it that you are joking and busily looking up more gruesome news to post.  Have a laughing day SB.
Aug 10, 2011
6. Thursday, August 8, 2013 - 7:40 AM
I guess my understanding of the meaning of stagnation is wrong. I thought it was when people were not purchasing because they thought the price would go down, thinking why buy now when it would be cheaper in a few weeks or months and you could get a better deal. With inflation people buy what they need now before the price goes up. 

I tend to not worry about things I cannot change. If there is an opportunity to change something then do it. In the mean time deal with it and do what you can to make things better for you and for others. 

When you worry and dwell on things you have no control over you make yourself sick. 
Ally6770Ally6770937 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,727