Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Want To Live To 120? Soon You Can — If You Can Afford It

Monday, August 12, 2013 - 5:40 PM
Scientists believe they’re on the cusp of new treatments that will slow or stop the aging process and allow humans to remain healthy and productive to the age of 120 or older.

You had better "save early and often".  

Want to Live to 120? Soon You Can — If You Can Afford It | TIME.com
ShorebreakShorebreak2,686 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,567
1. Monday, August 12, 2013 - 6:03 PM
Do we get to keep our social security until we are 120?  I only planned on living until 105!  I have to be able to start spending our savings at some point.  I wonder how much it will cost to get a full body redo so we all won't look like human zoombies after 105.  Yes, I have decided I can look fine until 105 but after that, even "I" may not be able to keep my beauty OR enough money!  :)  Shorebreak I think you must have found a new kind of Mylanta from some of these articles you come up with.  I wonder how many of us will still be here to post at 105??  My goodness!  I sure hope Ken is still around or this Forum may be gone!!
paoli2paoli21,401 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,135
2. Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 12:17 PM
Maybe Shorebreak switched to Gaviscon.  That is what I was using.  However, switching to a vegetarian, whole food diet has also helped tremendously.  Maybe I'll get to 120 without science.  :O)  Of course, I am not confident my $ will last that long.  I have 6 children though.  Maybe a couple of them will help out.  :O)
ChrisCDChrisCD70 posts since
Nov 18, 2010
Rep Points: 457
3. Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 1:33 PM
Chris:  You have Six children??  I thought the US only allowed 2 per couple or is that Japan or China?  Anyway, I would not depend on my kids ( I don't have Six!) to care for me.  They would probably put me on a glacier and float me off into the ocean like I think the Eskimos do to their parents.  Not a bad idea.  Sure saves on funeral expenses.  Best of luck if you make it to 120!  :)
paoli2paoli21,401 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,135
4. Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 1:59 PM
China has the restriction on children.  And believe it or not, we contemplated adopting a child from there, but couldn't because our family was already large.  :O)  We also decided that six was a good number and despite wanting to provide a good home to others, our quiver was full.

We aren't Catholic, but just recently got cable.  So not sure if that is the 3rd reason or not (lack there of).  The joke now is that my wife wanted four and I wanted two.  So we just added them together.  :O) 

It certainly isn't for the faint of heart, and I can't say I even recommend it, but of course I can't imagine not having any of them either.  We actually lost one after our 2nd child was born.  We have 4 boys and 2 girls.  Ages 11 (as of today) to 22.

Our 4th and 6th have promised to take care of us.  Our 1st threatened to only feed us PBJ while he takes his family out to dinner.  :O)
ChrisCDChrisCD70 posts since
Nov 18, 2010
Rep Points: 457