Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Drivers License Required For Existing Customer To Open CD

Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 1:26 PMiGObanking - Details
I opened a saving account with iGo Bank in late 2008.  In 2009 I opened a checking account where by they required a copy of my drivers license, saying "The laws require that we maintain certain information in order to better know and serve our customers."  I complied.

Now I have submitted an application for a CD, I am once again being asked to provide a copy of my drivers license because "our systems were unable to validate" my application electronically.  I faxed them a reacted copy my drivers license, only to get phone saying it was clear enough, to dark or something.  Getting frustrated with the fact, they already have documentation on me with my other two accounts, I sent them a color scan of my drivers license with the PII reacted.

There response is "existing customers are being asked for a copy of Driver's licenses".  They no longer say the law requires it.

I'm thinking about altering the image just to see if they "validate" my information, when it should be obvious that its been altered.

Opinions?
t3taylort3taylor2 posts since
Aug 17, 2013
Rep Points: 3
1. Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 8:05 PM
They set up the rules/regulations.  Just comply if you want the CD:-) 

If you do not like it, walk away and go to another bank for your CD. 

It is sad that some banks are so rigid and non-personal. 
51hh51hh1,476 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,426
2. Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 8:20 PM

I had the same issue with Dime Bank in New York. I opened an IRA CD in April 2012  and a second one in May 2013. Had to provide a copy of a utility bill, drivers license and signature card for the second CD even though I already provided for the first CD.  Took a photo of the items and e-mailed to them. To be honest , I don’t have a problem providing information a second time to an institution to open a new account . It may be a pain but In this day and age I rather have them be overly cautious instead of the alternative; but maybe that’s just me. I just adhere to the rules of an institution if I want their product.
FARFAR106 posts since
Feb 26, 2013
Rep Points: 381
3. Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 9:09 AM
When you say they indicated that "our systems were unable to validate" your application, I have to wonder if they are saying they did a credit check, but something did not work or did not match. If so, that is why they need additional verification. 

But I do agree, once they already have your DL on file, it is pointless to require you to send it in again. I am presuming you told them they already have it, to please just check that -- but you did not say. 

Yes, some banks are ridiculous about this stuff. iGO Banking is one of those. 

But to you idea of altering your ID and sending in just to see if they are even checking -- do not do that. If you do that, you are asking for some real trouble. You could get prosecuted on multiple charges, and very possibly would be. And even if it did not go that far, they definitely would close all your accounts and ban you from their bank, and probably put something on your credit report that could interfere with all your banking everywhere. 
me1004me1004370 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,572
4. Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 2:20 PM
I have to wonder if they are saying they did a credit check, but something did not work or did not match.

I asked but their response is a copy of a drivers license is required to open the account.  Nothing as to why, like to verify your address or other personally identifiable information.  Without the drivers license my application will not be reviewed any further.
I am presuming you told them they already have it, to please just check that -- but you did not say.

Yes, they have a copy from the previous account opened..  According to them they are asking all customers.  They are mute as for why.

Thanks for everyone response.
t3taylort3taylor2 posts since
Aug 17, 2013
Rep Points: 3