Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to Financial News

Advisor Who Doesn’t Charge Fee Is Simply Hiding It Well

Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 6:24 AM
From AssetBuilder:
Q. I'm retiring at year-end and am interviewing financial planners. The planner who I'm considering hiring doesn't charge any fees. He said that he does not charge a management fee because all the vehicles into which they would invest my money have compensation for the advisor already built into the product.  

This sounds "too good to be true." What are your thoughts about this? Is it legit? Is the financial planner limiting himself by only investing in vehicles in which he will make a commission? Will he invest my money only in vehicles that pay the highest commission?

I've considered doing the investing myself with one of your Couch Potato portfolios. But I have decided to use a planner for at least the first couple of years of retirement. I’m doing this primarily for tax advice and to make sure I don't make any huge mistakes when moving my money out of my company savings/pension (lump sum) plans.

Read more

It's as important to know what is motivating an advisor as it is to understand the advice being given.
pearlbrownpearlbrown1,356 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 5,955
1. Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 7:53 AM
ShorebreakShorebreak2,364 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 12,579
2. Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 8:17 AM
Thanks, I checked the forum before posting and didn't see it or else I totally missed it.   I have PMd Ken asking that this thread be deleted. 
pearlbrownpearlbrown1,356 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 5,955
3. Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 8:40 AM
I thought I was having a Déjà vu experience when I read your post. It's a good article never the less. Thanks.
ShorebreakShorebreak2,364 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 12,579