Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to Investments

Your Biggest Investment Regrets?

Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 3:50 PM
One common investment regret mentioned in this Yahoo! Finance article:
Taking a friend’s advice was another common source of regret. On the list of universally accepted bad financial advice, taking a stock tip from a buddy (or relative or co-worker) ranks pretty high. But still it’s hard to pass up a recommendation – especially when it’s from a trusted source who seems to be doing well for himself.

Read more

Do you have any investment regrets?

I wish I had invested more in Series I Savings Bonds back around 2000 when the fixed rate was 3%+ and when the annual purchase cap was $60K.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,442 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 123,743
1. Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 4:09 PM
1. I wish that I had started 401K the first day I began working; I delayed it for at least 2-3 years since I thought that retirement investing (with compnay matching) was for old folks.

2. I wish that I had not loaded my porfolio with high tech growth funds just in time for the bubble to burst.

3. I wish that I had not listened to Benjamin Graham to keep my equity portion at the 25% lower limit; I should have gone to 15% or 10% during the housing bubble in 2008.

Given all that, (regrets I had a few...) I did it my way and I do not feel bad at all.
51hh51hh1,462 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,352
2. Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 4:13 PM
I wish I had paid attention to some advice I got years ago to buy gold when it was just $35.00 oz.  I was told I would make millions on it but I didn't like the idea of spending money on metals.  Guess who feels dumb now?  Oh well, being ultra wealthy isn't as great as they make it seem like.  I would have had to spend money on a gorgeous home, car, clothes, fancy restaurants etc.  Wouldn't be my style.  I sure hope I can find a 2% 5 year CD for next week!
paoli2paoli21,149 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,123
3. Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 5:31 PM
I am satisfied with what we have done. Did not loose money. Got out of the market in Dec 99 but was in it only for 4 years until Dec 99. Was sorry I was not able to get into my 401K sooner. Was in the process of filing a class action suit against the place where I worked because it was illegal. If full timers have it then it had to be offered to part timers if you worked 20 hours or more. But they sold the company and I was able to get it with the new company and also a pension. I had asked for 3 years in my interview to be able to join the 401K and was denied. I had documentation. So I found a good lawyer who was going to do a class action pro bono. I read an article in the Journal of Accountancy and found out about the law. I knew if I sued I would loose my job. It worked out the best in the end. 
AllyAlly786 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,283
4. Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 5:41 PM
51hh, instead of quoting Frank Sinatra (Paul Anka wrote the song) I think you should adhere to the immortal words of the swashbuckling Clark Gable in the picture above your moniker: "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a ****"

I have too many investment regrets to list, although here's one: I almost bought Apple stock in 1998 because of the introduction of the iMac.
loulou521 posts since
Aug 3, 2010
Rep Points: 3,239
5. Friday, August 30, 2013 - 10:44 AM
1) Following a friend's advice - thankfully didn't lose much

2) Trying to be a stock picker -- so far hasn't worked out too well.

cd :O)
ChrisCDChrisCD66 posts since
Nov 18, 2010
Rep Points: 409
6. Friday, August 30, 2013 - 6:22 PM
I only offer the following disclaimer, or some variation thereof:

"Past Performance is Not Necessarily Indicative of Future Results"

Lesson learned.

A Way To Reduce Poor Financial Decisions And Build More Wealth

http://www.financialsamurai.com/2013/08/19/how-to-reduce-poor-financial-decisions-and-build-long-term-wealth/

ShorebreakShorebreak2,381 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 12,707
7. Sunday, September 1, 2013 - 10:07 AM
@lou I have the same Apple stock regret!

Also, not breaking other CD's to put more in the 10yr PenFed offer. (Thanks to Ken and this forum for the CD's I have, so I can't be too regretful.)
newbie1newbie14 posts since
Aug 11, 2010
Rep Points: 10
8. Sunday, September 1, 2013 - 2:04 PM
Newbie, it's funny that you mentioned the 10yr PenFed offer. I also took advantage of it with CDs maturing in the fall of 2010 and also ended up borrowing against Penfed CDs maturing the following year. Consequently, I invested a fair amount of money in those CDs; however, it didn't occur to me at the time to break CDs at other institutions. In the years since I also have regretted not putting more money in that deal, but it is important to note that the 10-year treasury exceeded 3% in the fall of 2010 and was steadily increasing. Like now, many people thought rates would continue to go up and it might not be prudent to commit money to a ten-year CD . Not many people predicted the collapse in rates over the 2011-13 time span.
loulou521 posts since
Aug 3, 2010
Rep Points: 3,239