Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Unofficial Problem Bank List & Health Ratings - August 30th Update

Monday, September 2, 2013 - 7:07 PM
The Calculated Risk blog has updated its Unofficial Problem Bank List. There were quite a few changes due to the FDIC releasing its enforcement actions through July. Here's an excerpt from CR's change summary:
For the week, there were 11 removals and four additions. The changes leave the Unofficial Problem Bank List holding 707 institutions with assets of $250.6 billion. A year ago, the list held 891 institutions with assets of $331.5 billion.

Read more

Bank Health Ratings

For more info on the financial health of banks and credit unions, you can view our Bank Health Ratings page which provides a table of banks and credit unions with the worst Texas Ratios. You can also sort based on the best Texas Ratios to view the safest banks.

Our financial health ratings are based on financial data that the FDIC and NCUA release each quarter. The FDIC and NCUA released Q2 2013 financial data in the last week of August. We now have imported the new data, and all of our bank and credit union financial health ratings are now based on this Q2 data.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,469 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,077
1. Monday, September 2, 2013 - 7:33 PM
Thanks Ken - DA's health rating of an institution is one of the factors I consider when deciding whether to do business there.

You have done a great job reminding us that if an institution should fail, there is no guarantee that for example a great CD rate will continue to be honored to maturity by the acquirer.  For that reason, I always check an institution I am considering to see if that might potentially be an issue.  While I may still decide to take the risk instead of going for a lower rate at a "healthier" institution,  at least it's a deliberate decision. 

pearlbrownpearlbrown1,436 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 6,261