Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to Financial News

29 Million Holdouts Primed For Online Bill Pay

Sunday, September 22, 2013 - 5:03 PM
A study from Javelin Strategy & Research says there are 29 million consumers that banks and credit unions could easily convert to online bill pay. That’s about one in every eight U.S. adults (12.1%).

29 Million Holdouts Primed for Online Bill Pay
ShorebreakShorebreak2,375 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 12,681
1. Monday, September 23, 2013 - 12:02 PM
Would like to know the age break down of the 5,600 used in the survey. It would be interesting to see the survey result for people under 50 vs people over 50.

Older people who have been writing checks and mailing to pay bills for over 50 years would be very difficult if not impossible to convert to online banking. My parents, in their mid 80’s would be in this category. I have converted most of their accounts and pay a couple bills online for them out of necessity but for the most part they still insist on mailing a check. It is very difficult for them to comprehend how to pay bills online. I even know people in their 60’s that do not trust paying bills online. Sometime it is difficult to remember that home computers have only really been in use by the general public for 30-40 years. I am in my mid 50’s and still recall in high school that we were not allowed to bring a calculator to algebra class.  In time, as this older generation disappears the number using this technology will rise.
FARFAR91 posts since
Feb 26, 2013
Rep Points: 328