Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to General Questions/Other

Ally Bank’s New Ad Campaign: Trying New Things And Nothing Hidden

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 8:41 PMAlly Bank - Details
Ally Bank has come out with new commercials. In my opinion, they’re not as funny as past ones like the first ones with the kids or the one with the talking dog or the one with the guy at the checkout line.

The best new one is the guy who is calling Ally Bank and is worried about hidden fees. The guy has flashback memories of his mobster dad.

Another one has a woman who calls Ally Bank and is worried about trying new things, like direct banking. She has flashbacks of some of new things she had tried in the past. This had potential, but they should have put more thought into her past new things.

You can view all of these commercials at this Ally page.

Ally Bank released this press release about the ad campaign. The most interesting thing I found was this excerpt about Ally Bank’s growth:
The Bank's award-winning features and customer service have fueled consistent growth in both retail deposits and customers, from $7.2 billion in retail deposits and 160,000 customers at the beginning of 2009 to $40 billion in retails deposits and 734,000 customers in July 2013.

I wonder how much of this growth was fueled by all of Ally’s ads. Perhaps all the money they’ve put into ads is one reason for the 5-year CD rate being 55 bps under the top 5-year internet CD rate.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,442 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 123,688
1. Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 8:52 PM
"I wonder how much of this growth was fueled by all of Ally’s ads. Perhaps all the money they’ve put into ads is one reason for the 5-year CD rate being 55 bps under the top 5-year internet CD rate."

Oh come now Ken. You don't really believe that the cost of an immense advertising budget would cut into the CD rate offered by Ally Bank, do you?

Of course not :-)
ShorebreakShorebreak2,368 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 12,625