Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Warning On Social Security Benefits Should The Debt Ceiling Not Be Raised

Monday, October 7, 2013 - 6:47 PM
51hh51hh1,476 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,426
1. Monday, October 7, 2013 - 6:51 PM
That's why it's prudent to maintain an emergency fund equal to at least 6 months worth of income.
ShorebreakShorebreak2,624 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,220
2. Monday, October 7, 2013 - 7:17 PM
Everything I have read or heard on the news is that even if they fail to raise the debt ceiling, interest on the debt and entitlements will still be paid.   Not every senior was fortunate enough to save 4 months of emergency savings much less 6 months.  Who is supposed to feed them and pay their rents?  Obama and his group of idiots unrunning our country seem determined to throw us over the cliff.  It is infantile for them not to get together and come up with a sane solution to this problem.  They are just waiting for the other party to "blink" and I am sick of it!  There are people out there who know how to run our country and not destroy it but they are not in office "yet"!  If this truly happens, you will see such panic in the streets and violence that no amount of police will be able to control.  

Obama is on the verge of making history for himself but not in the way he may have expected. 
paoli2paoli21,372 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,011
3. Monday, October 7, 2013 - 7:21 PM
Re: paoli2 @ 2. Monday, October 7, 2013 - 7:17 PM

Let's not get overly dramatic, shall we?
"Obama and his group of idiots unrunning our country seem determined to throw us over the cliff."
Apr 6, 2010
4. Monday, October 7, 2013 - 7:36 PM
SB:  "It does not look good."  is the way 51 expresses himself.  I am not of the same makeup. 

I did not post the post about Social Security but if you or others are going to post such posts, you can just expect be to post how I feel.  If you bothered to read the numerous blogs on other groups, you might learn that my description about the people pretending to run our country is very mild considered to what others are calling them.  THEY ARE NOT DOING THEIR JOBS!  Is that too dramatic for you?  It is because of people (maybe like yourself) who make excuses for them that we are in the horrible position we find ourselves.  I don't think 51 is making excuses for their bad non-behavior.  He is just trying to make us aware of what may be in store for us.  I am angry because it does not have to come to this and as of this day and time, they are still acting like braindead idiots instead of doing their jobs and getting our country back in shape again.  If you think my other post was overly dramatic, you don't ever want to read how I really feel.
Aug 10, 2011
5. Monday, October 7, 2013 - 7:39 PM
Winston Churchill said "You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else." - and our sorry leadership keeps finding new and different ways to dishonor their office, punish their constituents, and play games with OUR money. 

Of course, since have exempted themselves from this shutdown and from all other legislation which is not to their advantage, they have no skin in the game and thus no incentive to work for the benefit of this country. 

I don't even recognize this country any more.   How far are we going to fall before our leaders do Churchill's "the right thing"?
pearlbrownpearlbrown1,438 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 6,275
6. Monday, October 7, 2013 - 8:36 PM
As usual, rationality will prevail. The debt ceiling will be raised. Some may not like the concessions, so be it.
Apr 6, 2010
7. Tuesday, October 8, 2013 - 1:55 AM
"If this truly happens, you will see such panic in the streets and violence that no amount of police will be able to control." Paoli2

Don't mess with SS payments!
loulou544 posts since
Aug 3, 2010
Rep Points: 3,397
8. Tuesday, October 8, 2013 - 7:22 AM
It is pathetic that Ted Cruz who has a healthcare premium paid for by Goldman that in 2009 cost $40,543.00 where his wife is a one of 600 directors and who in 2009 had a $600,000 salary is more concerned about the tax Goldman will have to pay on his cadilac healthcare plan than for those that have no healthcare. Greed has no shame. 
Ally6770Ally6770914 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,662
9. Tuesday, October 8, 2013 - 8:22 AM
Lou:  "Don't mess with SS payments!"

This is not funny.  Many people may not be able to pay their rent or buy food without those checks.  Not that the people in Washington really care.  I have never seen a time in my life where the politicians (ALL of them but a handful) who are supposed to be running our country are bringing us so close to chaos.  There was a time I would say they would never allow us to default but in today's scenario in Washington, one can't be sure of sanity reigning any longer. 

Aug 10, 2011
10. Tuesday, October 8, 2013 - 10:28 AM
4. Tuesday, October 8, 2013 - 10:16 AM

This bipartisan healthcare bill has been in the process for over 20 years since the Clinton bill went down and actually there were hearings before that. Grassly and Bauchus (sp) sent it out of the Senate during the Bush administration. Even Levitt who was head of the healthcare in the Bush administration told of this as recently as today on C-Span. When I read some of the comments in the paper and even on this site it seems that we are no better than the people in office. This divisiveness started with Lee Atwater in the 80's and has escalated since then. Read the comments. 

There is so much me, me, me. We will all have issues if we do not receive all of our SS checks, but think of the federal people working with no paycheck, think of the families of our soldiers that have died will not get their $100,000 checks for funerals, to fly to see their loved ones coffin come back to the states, think of the people who have for sometimes  for years not been able to find a job. I have a 53 year old nephew working for $8.00 an hour instead of the $23 he was making in 2007 and he is happy to have that job. He has had melenoma of the eye and his wife had a mole on her back with cancer that went to the lymph nodes. Try to get healthcare with these problems.  We all do what we have to but let us start thinking of those that have even less than ourselves. 

I am for healthcare for all, just as I am for education for all. We all pay for the school system why doesn't a PAID FOR healthcare plan for all make sense. Those of us on Medicare were for Part D that wan't even paid for but Obamacare is paid for. I know that even though I still had to pay $700 for one of my husband's prescriptions with Part D it still was a great savings for our family.  It is a fact that  more people are for Obamacare than were for Part D. It was those not on Medicare that was against Part D. Most of us with SS checks have both Medicare and Part D or Medicare Advantage.  Why would we not want everyone to have insurance. So many lost insurance when they lost their jobs. Again all I see is me, me, me. I am ashamed to read some of the comments. I remember people going to pick up their prescriptions at the pharmacy even months after Part D started and their Part D plan was still not in the sytem even though they had proof that they paid for the Part D insurance. It was a mess and took over 15 months to get it fixed. What short memories we have or is it just ignorance? 

Some of the people that have written these comments could not have not watched the senate and house hearings and they have been televised since the 80's. They have been on C-Span and some have been on the radio or PBS in the past. You still can go to C-Span.org and watch the hearings on your computer from their library, or just listen to them while you are doing other things on the computer or in the house.   Listening to the political figures, the "talking points" or reading the or watching the newscasters instead of the reporters ( which there are few of) fall right into their hands. When the TV stations want and need viewers for ratings instead of truth this is what we get. People do not watch history in the making they listen to what is told to them on what is happening. GET SMART. I never even watch the presidential debates on the regular TV stations. I don't want the talking heads telling me what I am watching and to interpret it for me. I used to watch it on back feeds of the old satillite system and now try to find a PBS station or a C-Span station that has no commentators on it.  To have the country shut down because of a paid for healthcare that is PAID FOR is CRAZY. 
Ally6770Ally6770914 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,662
11. Tuesday, October 8, 2013 - 11:37 AM
#10  I notice you posted this twice but left out a sentence on the other post. The part about "to have the country shut down because of a paid for healthcare that is PAID FOR is CRAZY."  I gather your "me, me, me" is referring to the politicians in Washington and not the posters on DA.  But why do you keep saying the healthcare bill is "paid" for.  People will still have to pay very high premiums for the one they select and whatever this "paid for" is, is going to cost our taxpayers a hefty amount.   I am not against this no more than I am against Medicare or Medicaid but it is still "our" money that is paying for all of these.  That is why I think they need to get a budget and make sure they allow for this extra money that has to be attributed to Obamacare.  I would love to hear the real answer as to why they would allow our country to be shutdown rather than give the Repubs the extra year they asked for.  More must be going on in the background than we are allowed to know. 
Aug 10, 2011