Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

State Of Our Nation

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 - 7:16 AM
I find it difficult to comprehend how someone that has worked 25-30 years does not have enough saved to last 4-6 months unless they have encountered a catastrophic medical event OR they were not fiscal responsible. I have no problem helping someone that has a severe medical event but I do have a problem helping people that were irresponsible throughout their lifetime and now are crying for help. Reminds me of the grasshopper and the ant fable.

Where has Obama hid Harry Truman’s “The buck stops here sign”? (Responsibility is not passed on beyond this point) Obama is very good at deflecting blame but the fact of the matter is he is the President. A person in that position is suppose to unite the people and lead. Instead he has divided the nation like no other in recent memory. Who is the last President to cause so much dissension in the ranks?  So the President can say (and certainly will) the speaker is holding the nation hostage but as President he is the one that needs to take responsibility and fix the problem. Instead he says I will not come and talk to you to negotiate a solution. I am taking my football home so no one can play.
FARFAR106 posts since
Feb 26, 2013
Rep Points: 381
1. Tuesday, October 8, 2013 - 8:37 AM
FAR:  What is it with the "4 to 6 months" figure?  If the US defaults and throws the other nations into chaos with us, do you really think all it will take is 4 to 6 months of savings for us to survive and then all will be well with the world?  Also, why should those who have saved all their lives have to use the bulk of their savings to survive (for we don't know how long) because the bozos in Washington aren't sending them their rightful Social Security checks.  These checks belong to us and we let the government take money out of our paychecks with the "full faith and trust" that our government would return it to us as payments in our senior years. 

What do you think is going to happen when the US has to stop giving money to all those other nations it helps?   We'll soon see who our real "friends" are.  Putin must be licking his chops over this and just waiting for the day he can become the Champion with the full help of Obama and his inability to be a "leader"!

I need to go be "dramatic" with our so-called politicians now.  I am truly disgusted with their inactions.

Chew on the following and see what else the Shutdown is causing:

http://www.today.com/news/shutdown-denies-death-benefits-families-fallen-soldiers-8C11355842#
paoli2paoli21,372 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,011
2. Tuesday, October 8, 2013 - 9:22 AM
"So the President can say (and certainly will) the speaker is holding the nation hostage but as President he is the one that needs to take responsibility and fix the problem. Instead he says I will not come and talk to you to negotiate a solution. I am taking my football home so no one can play."

Well said, FAR. 

I regret and apologize that I was not smart enough to vote for this President (twice).
51hh51hh1,476 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,426
3. Tuesday, October 8, 2013 - 9:43 AM
So if the so called President won't play, why can't they take the football away from him and give it to someone else who will use it to lead us out of this mess?  I am talking about the "I" word here and if he brings us to Default, I think he should not be able to keep his job. 
Aug 10, 2011
4. Tuesday, October 8, 2013 - 10:16 AM
This bipartisan healthcare bill has been in the process for over 20 years since the Clinton bill went down and actually there were hearings before that. Grassly and Bauchus (sp) sent it out of the Senate during the Bush administration. Even Levitt who was head of the healthcare in the Bush administration told of this as recently as today on C-Span. When I read some of the comments in the paper and even on this site it seems that we are no better than the people in office. This divisiveness started with Lee Atwater in the 80's and has escalated since then. Read the comments. 

There is so much me, me, me. We will all have issues if we do not receive all of our SS checks, but think of the federal people working with no paycheck, think of the families of our soldiers that have died will not get their $100,000 checks for funerals, to fly to see their loved ones coffin come back to the states, think of the people who have for sometimes  for years not been able to find a job. I have a 53 year old nephew working for $8.00 an hour instead of the $23 he was making in 2007 and he is happy to have that job. He has had melenoma of the eye and his wife had a mole on her back with cancer that went to the lymph nodes. Try to get healthcare with these problems.  We all do what we have to but let us start thinking of those that have even less than ourselves. 

I am for healthcare for all, just as I am for education for all. We all pay for the school system why doesn't a PAID FOR healthcare plan for all make sense. Those of us on Medicare were for Part D that wan't even paid for but Obamacare is paid for. I know that even though I still had to pay $700 for one of my husband's prescriptions with Part D it still was a great savings for our family.  It is a fact that  more people are for Obamacare than were for Part D. It was those not on Medicare that was against Part D. Most of us with SS checks have both Medicare and Part D or Medicare Advantage.  Why would we not want everyone to have insurance. So many lost insurance when they lost their jobs. Again all I see is me, me, me. I am ashamed to read some of the comments. I remember people going to pick up their prescriptions at the pharmacy even months after Part D started and their Part D plan was still not in the sytem even though they had proof that they paid for the Part D insurance. It was a mess and took over 15 months to get it fixed. What short memories we have or is it just ignorance? 

Some of the people that have written these comments could not have not watched the senate and house hearings and they have been televised since the 80's. They have been on C-Span and some have been on the radio or PBS in the past. You still can go to C-Span.org and watch the hearings on your computer from their library, or just listen to them while you are doing other things on the computer or in the house.   Listening to the political figures, the "talking points" or reading the or watching the newscasters instead of the reporters ( which there are few of) fall right into their hands. When the TV stations want and need viewers for ratings instead of truth this is what we get. People do not watch history in the making they listen to what is told to them on what is happening. GET SMART. I never even watch the presidential debates on the regular TV stations. I don't want the talking heads telling me what I am watching and to interpret it for me. I used to watch it on back feeds of the old satillite system and now try to find a PBS station or a C-Span station that has no commentators on it. 
Ally6770Ally6770912 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,655
5. Tuesday, October 8, 2013 - 10:42 AM
#4  What are you referring to?  Most of the recent posts I have read are about the gov Shutdown and "possible" default.  I didn't read any about the Healthcare Bill unless it was some days ago.  If you are referring to what is going on in Washington, I can understand that.  I have always been pro a Healthcare Bill for healthcare for "all" Americans but one has to admit there are problems with this Bill.  They can be fixed and I don't know why the politicians are not just addressing the problems and going on with the Bill.  Not too long ago, I was paying $1,400.00 a month for a medication I needed and that was "with" insurance!  I, personally know how important it is to have health insurance. 

As for this being about me, me, me, I think people have a right to be concerned about not getting back benefits they depend upon.  It must be nice to receive SS and not have to depend upon it but not everyone is in that position.  They have a right to expect back the money they put into the system. 
Aug 10, 2011
6. Tuesday, October 8, 2013 - 12:12 PM
I was under the impression that the over 40 votes to defund the healthcare bill, the 21 hour mini fillibuster that wasn't a fillibuster, floor speeches, and the gov shut down was because the house could not get enough votes to stop, change or defund healthcare. I was under the impression that it was the house that had to pass the spending bills and could not get but one bill passed and the Senate did not get a fillibuster and approved with amendments but the house will not allow conferees to be appointed for it to go to conference. Now the house  wants the president to get involved with the spending bill process. Guess I got the wrong impression from watching this process on TV. Not sure what the pundits have said happened. The house has a job and that is to pass a spending bill. That is not the presidents job. We have the 3 branches of the gov that are independent of the others. Perhaps I don't remember my 5th grade civics class correctly. 

I live on less than SS, on $1000 a month widow benefits. I do OK except for $1000 in property taxes that I did not save enough for that came out of savings , and a little in federal taxes if I did not have enough taken out of my check. So far I have not had to take from savings for fed taxes. I do not pay rent but have insurance, utilities, property taxes, and upkeep on the house. I have car insurance, gas etc just like everyone else. I do not live on a bus line. When my husband was on disabilitly we lived on that for 18 years and saved my paycheck except the amount I put in our IRA's. We do what we have to or want to do but there are always others that have even less.

My post was not meant for anyone special but was meant for all of us. Sorry if I offended but think my thoughts are as relevant as others. This is my last comment I will post on this. Again so sorry if I offended. I now have to finish vacuuming, get the oil changed, and get out there and wash and wax the car while it is still warm outside, and if I have time trim the trees in the back yard and haul the brush away. 

Again this is the problems of the country and it is not about us. We are affected but this is a much bigger problem.  We deserve what we have cuz the majority voted for the people in office. 

Not surer if others know about gerrymandering but this started in the 80's. This has been a long time in the making.  I saw this happening in the county where I used to live when I started attending what county meetings I could. This is why we have the mess that we have. 

I cannot support those in congress that say you don't deserve healthcare if you are not working and if you don't make enough to make over 130% of poverty you cannot have Medicaid and we now have a closed goverment because they have not found a way to defund healthcare or what ever their reason is now. You pass a budget in the house, get the Senate to appove or send back with amendments and then have a conferees approve something and vote on it. 
Ally6770Ally6770912 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,655
7. Tuesday, October 8, 2013 - 1:17 PM
Ally:   "You pass a budget in the house, get the Senate to appove or send back with amendments and then have a conferees approve something and vote on it."

That is the way I, too, thought it was supposed to be.  Unfortunately bad elements have gotten involved in our government and turned this process upside down.  I have been accussed of being overly "dramatic" in my posts.  I assure you, I was "overly dramatic" in all my emails this morning to Washington.  They have to be made to "feel" what their bad actions or inactions are doing to us.  I can feel your deep concerns in your posts and know you only want the best for all in our country just as I do.  These partisan politics are destroying our country and the way it was meant to work.  When my DD lost her job, she did not get one penny of unemployment.  We cashed in quite a bit in our CDs to support her for over two years.  So now we do need those social security benefits more than we would have but for that problem and all the ensueing medical bills.  I am sure there are many Americans who may have our similar problems and for one reason or another, need their social security.  I was not offended by your post as much as confused by it. Thank you for taking the time to explain the reason for the post.  Pres. Obama is on tv now so I will listen and hope maybe he has some good news for us.

Take care.
Aug 10, 2011