Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Free Flu Shot Covered In Full By Insurance

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 - 7:38 PM
Harry Sit points out the ease of getting a flu shot along with a few
options you might not be aware of; really no excuse for not getting
the flu shot---unless you have some sort of weird fondness for the flu!

Stay healthy so you can search for those attractive CD's along with
the rest of us ;)
cumuluscumulus332 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 1,563
1. Wednesday, October 9, 2013 - 7:45 PM
No way will I get the flu shot!  The only time I ever got it, it made me sick as a dog!  They must actually put the flu virus in you with that darn shot!  Not for me or anyone in my family!
paoli2paoli21,370 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,001
2. Wednesday, October 9, 2013 - 7:52 PM
ShorebreakShorebreak2,608 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,130
3. Wednesday, October 9, 2013 - 8:04 PM
Best response to #1 I've seen: "There can be side effects from all shots.
Some can be serious but most are rather localized and more of annoyance
(like redness, soreness, etc).  Your chances of a serious side effect of
the flu itself is much higher than your chances of a serious side effect
from the shot, so it's really a matter of playing the odds."
cumuluscumulus332 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 1,563
4. Wednesday, October 9, 2013 - 9:27 PM
I had the Hong Kong flu twice in the 60's (was 3 months off work) and son's pet white rat died. Husband was sick for a week and the oldest was sick for a week. My mother in law took the baby. The pharmacy delivered medicine and put it in the mail slot. The doctor would not let us in his office. I got the same flu in the 70's. It was Thanksgiving time. I don't remember a thing for 3 days. My husband said he kept giving me juice and trying to get aspirin down me to break the fever. I get the flu shot every year now. When I got out of the house to get groceries after the first time I was in line to pay for the groceries and fainted. I received my  shot 2 weeks ago. This is the first time I never felt the needle, nor was the arm the least bit tender. If I hadn't seen the needle go in I would not know I even had the shot. The needles must be getting thinner and thinner. I love to watch that stuff. I even watched and had no anethesia or numbing shot when it took 3 people to set my broken wrist set about 10 years ago. I had to drive home cuz my husband could not drive at that time and I had to care for him. I had a 5 hour surgery on it the next day and went home after I walked a mile in the halls to show them I was OK. Because of the snow storm we ended up staying the night with my mom about 5 miles away. Better than trying to drive 30 miles home. I would not want to get the flu and expose anyone to it. Too many children and elderly die of it every year. I guess that in the US 50 million were infected that year in the 60's and over 30,000 died. 

You did not get the flu from the shot. It take a couple of weeks before it works. You probably were exposed to the flu or the shot did not contain the type of flu you were exposed to. 
Ally6770Ally6770911 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,649
5. Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 8:17 AM
"You did not get the flu from the shot. It take a couple of weeks before it works. You probably were exposed to the flu or the shot did not contain the type of flu you were exposed to. "

Dr. Ally, you do not know what happened to me or my family when we tried those flu shots.  You do not know for certain that we "did not get the flu from the shot".  My body reacts abnormally to ALL medications and shots.   No matter what caused us to become sick whether it was a coincidence or a million other reasons, we do not want to feel that way again.  I can understand your not agreeing with my post but you are not in a position to know the truth of your reply unless you were living in my body at the time.  You are just making "guesses" here so we will continue to follow our own decisions about what gets stuck into our bodies.  Thank you very much but no thank you.
Aug 10, 2011
6. Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 2:57 PM
I know I do not know your body but I do trust Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic and Web MD and this is one of the top 10 myths and you can call Cleveland Clinic and actually email or talk to a doc if one is on line right now.

Flu Myth #3: The flu vaccine can give you the flu. This is the flu myth most likely to drive experts bonkers. “There is simply no way that the flu vaccine can give you the flu,” says Hay. “It’s impossible.”

Why? For one, injected flu vaccines only contain dead virus, and a dead virus is, well, dead: it can’t infect you. There is one type of live virus flu vaccine, the nasal vaccine, FluMist. But in this case, the virus is specially engineered to remove the parts of the virus that make people sick.

Despite the scientific impossibility of getting the flu from the flu vaccines, this widespread flu myth won’t die. Experts suspect two reasons for its persistence.  One, people mistake the side effects of the vaccine for flu. While side effects to the vaccine these days tend to be a sore arm, in the past, side effects often felt like mild symptoms of the flu. Two, flu season coincides with a time of year when bugs causing colds and other respiratory illnesses are in the air.  Many people get the vaccine and then, within a few days, get sick with an unrelated cold virus. However, they blame the innocent flu vaccine, rather than their co-worker with a runny nose and cough.
Jan 16, 2010
7. Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 3:15 PM
You can trust the Mayo Clinic all you want.  They are not always right.  Did I post that I think YOU shouldn't get the Flu crapccine?  I was posting why "I" won't get it.  You can get all the vaccines you want but don't expect me to be in line with you, myth or no myth.  I know how my family reacted to them and that is all I care about.  I stay away from the public a lot during the winter so I am not as exposed as workers who are around sneezing people.  I don't care "why" we feel it made us sick, I know it did!  My DD refuses to go near that stuff and not because of my concerns  but because of how sick it made her.  So please tell Mayo Clinic they can give all their vaccines to "you" since you are such a proponent of the crap.  You can't change my mine so don't waste your time trying or I might sneeze on you and really give you something to worry about.  :)
Aug 10, 2011
8. Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 7:48 PM
Again from the Mayo Clinic-

Flu germs: How long can they live outside the body? How long do cold and flu germs stay alive after infected people cough and sneeze all over everything?

Answer from James M. Steckelberg, M.D.

It varies, depending partly on where the germ-laden droplets fall. Experiments with specific cold and flu germs have shown potential survival times ranging from a few minutes to 48 hours or more. How long such germs remain capable of infecting you in day-to-day life is harder to say.

Germs generally remain active longer on stainless steel, plastic and similar hard surfaces than on fabric and other soft surfaces. Other factors, such as the amount of virus deposited on a surface and the temperature and humidity of the environment, also have effects on how long cold and flu germs stay active outside the body.

It's easy to catch the flu or a cold from rubbing your nose after handling an object an infected person sneezed on a few moments ago. But personal contact with an infected person — a handshake, for example — is the most common way these germs spread.

The best way to avoid becoming infected with a cold or flu virus is to wash your hands frequently with soap and water or with an alcohol-based sanitizer. Also avoid rubbing your eyes or biting your nails. Most importantly — get a flu vaccine every year.
Jan 16, 2010
9. Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 8:06 PM
Re:  Ally #8     Do you have some addiction to keep posting about this FLU thing?  Is that what happens to people who get the vaccine?  NOTHING you post is going to get me to let them stick that horrible stuff in my perfect, glorious body.  If I dream about a giant FLU bug chasing me tonight, I hope you have the antidote for hallucinations.  "I" already know how NOT to get the FLU and I bet so do most posters here. Tell us where to find that 3% 5 year CD and all is forgiven.  (You do know SB is calling certain posters "a Troll" and "he" doesn't apologize to anyone.  So I would cool it with the Flu education Series 1000)  Were you a teacher in another life??   
Aug 10, 2011